The Student Room Group

Sixth form at a grammar school?

So I am looking to apply for a scholarship at a grammar school. I was just wondering how different is the style of teaching there compared to a normal state school? And ultimately why do they achieve the best grades? Is it the teaching/ the students themselves i.e have tutors etc.. Any information would be appreciated. P.S is there anything I could do to help with my scholarship application?
Reply 1
Hello! I go to a grammar school for my sixth form, and I used to go to an ordinary, kinda crappy school, so I am in the same position you'll be.
Well, I'd say it's not because of tutors. From what I see, the teachers actually love teaching here. At my old school I never got that impression. To join the grammar school in the first place, students normally have to have some sort of proof that they are smart (the school I go to makes students get a certain score on the 11+ test). So it means that for starters, the students are somewhat smart.

But I'd really say it's just the teachers, because they limit who can get in, the classes are quite small. At the school I'm at there are 90 students per year in the lower school (250 per year in sixth form), which means that their learning can be a lot more, like, specific to just them. The teachers seem really really good though, and there are less behaviour issues because in general the students want to be there, so classes get disrupted a lot less, so students and teachers can both work to their full ability, ensuring high marks for the students.

I think the difference in the style of teaching is quite great, but that's more because you're switching to A levels, rather than going to a grammar school. The classes are smaller than GCSE ones, and everything kind of goes more quickly, but the teachers all seem really smart, and you kind of get the impression they've taught the same thing over and over so they tend to know exactly how to get the marks in the exam. I'm absolutely loving the grammar school though, and I'm sure you will too, it's not as... 'snobby' as I thought it would be, fortunately, if that makes sense? But it's still very academic, the students here are overall quite nerdy and I love it XD.

Anywho, as for help with the application, do you know what it consists of? For us we just had to write our contact details and what A levels we wanted to do, but that may be different for other schools. We then had to have an interview with someone high up in the sixth form teaching, and then we were just asked things like why we want to go to this school, you may be asked about your subjects, or if you have any questions about the school. Sorry if I'm not being much help, if you have to write to the school or something, I'd say just seem interested and make sure they know that you want to go there. I don't know how hard it is to get in to your grammar school sixth form though.
Reply 2
I have no idea what a normal school would be like because I've been at the same Grammar School since year 7 now, but it's just like what I thought every school was... There are pupils, there are teachers, there are lessons... Isn't that what every school is like?

Unless you have an idea that Grammar schools are more upper class and are full of snobs, then that idea is completely wrong.

One thing I have noticed over the years is other people complaining how much they hated their school, however I have loved going to the school I'm at, so maybe they're just nicer places to learn?
Reply 3
Original post by Okkefac
Hello! I go to a grammar school for my sixth form, and I used to go to an ordinary, kinda crappy school, so I am in the same position you'll be.
Well, I'd say it's not because of tutors. From what I see, the teachers actually love teaching here. At my old school I never got that impression. To join the grammar school in the first place, students normally have to have some sort of proof that they are smart (the school I go to makes students get a certain score on the 11+ test). So it means that for starters, the students are somewhat smart.

But I'd really say it's just the teachers, because they limit who can get in, the classes are quite small. At the school I'm at there are 90 students per year in the lower school (250 per year in sixth form), which means that their learning can be a lot more, like, specific to just them. The teachers seem really really good though, and there are less behaviour issues because in general the students want to be there, so classes get disrupted a lot less, so students and teachers can both work to their full ability, ensuring high marks for the students.

I think the difference in the style of teaching is quite great, but that's more because you're switching to A levels, rather than going to a grammar school. The classes are smaller than GCSE ones, and everything kind of goes more quickly, but the teachers all seem really smart, and you kind of get the impression they've taught the same thing over and over so they tend to know exactly how to get the marks in the exam. I'm absolutely loving the grammar school though, and I'm sure you will too, it's not as... 'snobby' as I thought it would be, fortunately, if that makes sense? But it's still very academic, the students here are overall quite nerdy and I love it XD.

Anywho, as for help with the application, do you know what it consists of? For us we just had to write our contact details and what A levels we wanted to do, but that may be different for other schools. We then had to have an interview with someone high up in the sixth form teaching, and then we were just asked things like why we want to go to this school, you may be asked about your subjects, or if you have any questions about the school. Sorry if I'm not being much help, if you have to write to the school or something, I'd say just seem interested and make sure they know that you want to go there. I don't know how hard it is to get in to your grammar school sixth form though.

Ahh! Thanks for your help. I'm applying for a scholarship and there are only 2 places available. I will require to fill in an application and get a few references I believe. The only part that seems to worry me is the interview. As you said they might ask a few questions considering why you want to be part of this school. How would you answer this question so it makes you feel passionate instead of looking like a fool. Besides my application and references I can't seem to imagine what else I will require to help me get in. What grammar school do you attend if you don't mind me asking? Thanks again :smile:
There are free grammar schools too!
Reply 5
Original post by + polarity -
There are free grammar schools too!

Not where I live :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Super199
Ahh! Thanks for your help. I'm applying for a scholarship and there are only 2 places available. I will require to fill in an application and get a few references I believe. The only part that seems to worry me is the interview. As you said they might ask a few questions considering why you want to be part of this school. How would you answer this question so it makes you feel passionate instead of looking like a fool. Besides my application and references I can't seem to imagine what else I will require to help me get in. What grammar school do you attend if you don't mind me asking? Thanks again :smile:

You're welcome! Wow, that sounds like it's very hard to get into. The interview is nothing to worry about, seriously. At the one I had when I was asked why I wanted to go there, I just said the truth. I said it's the most academic school nearby and since I really want to do well in my A levels and go to university, I'd love to go to a really academic school, and all that lot. You don't need to worry about seeming like a fool. The fact that you need (and have) references should be great (my school didn't require it). I assume grades are a big part of it as well? Just focus on doing well. My school's called alcester grammar ^^.

Quick Reply

Latest