The Student Room Group

I'm a Grammar Nazi; ask me anything.

I'm having a nerdy day today. If anyone wants to discuss grammar or linguistics, hit me up! Also if anyone is having grammar issues, the Grammar Nazi is here to help!

I want to use my powers for good, rather than the annoyance of my Facebook friends.

Scroll to see replies

How many times did you check over this post before submitting it?
Reply 2
How can I become a member of the Grammar Nazis?
Reply 3
y u a grammer nazi for?
Original post by Nerol

I want to use my powers for good

Ha. This post is not self-aggrandising at all, right?
In you're opinyon. How annoyings this post to u. I founded its realy annoyings.

Ah, that was horrific to write. I am allied with you in that I find errors incredibly annoying!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Nerol
I'm having a nerdy day today. If anyone wants to discuss grammar or linguistics, hit me up! Also if anyone is having grammar issues, the Grammar Nazi is here to help!

I want to use my powers for good, rather than the annoyance of my Facebook friends.

Why have you used a semi-colon?
Reply 7
Would you like to split my infinitives ?

[scroll] :perv: [/scroll]
Firstly, you say you want to stop annoying your Facebook friends. Stop correcting them then! There's no need for spelling to be absolutely perfect on places like that. As long as people can submit:

- Assignments and formal documents
- Formal or official emails
- Professional correspondence
- Anything like novels, articles etc that they choose to write

Then who cares! You'd be surprised at how much of what you say is "technically" incorrect anyway. I studied grammar in depth, and it absolutely blew my mind. As long as people know what others mean, the words that they've written have served their purpose as a communication tool.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Nerol

what thing is it that you hate, the, most about bad grammars: is it when there's incorrect use of apostrophes?
Would you review my essays for free? :pierre:
Why can't you get a life?
Would you say 'Who is it' or 'Whom is it'?
Original post by kk_15
Ha. This post is not self-aggrandising at all, right?

Hahaha, well played my friend. Well played.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

The main "revelation" for me was that every time I've seen a checkout advertising itself as "5 items or less" it should be "5 items or fewer".

Yes, if the meaning is 'or fewer items', but I think the meaning could easily be 'or less shopping', which would also be perfectly correct.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Yes, if the meaning is 'or fewer items', but I think the meaning could easily be 'or less shopping', which would also be perfectly correct.

No, by saying 5 items you're definitely implying that the "less" is quantifiable.

Anyway I was only making the point that there are mistakes or technical inaccuracies all around us.
No, by saying 5 items you're definitely implying that the "less" is quantifiable.

500g or less [weight].

180cm or less [height].

£20 or less [money].

These phrases use countable units but "less" is gramatically correct. TimmonaPortella's point is correct (and many Grammar Nazis don't get it - the irony!).
(edited 10 years ago)

A: 'How much shopping can I bring to this checkout?'
B: '5 items or less'.

Works perfectly well. I would suggest that '5 items or less' signs are perfectly capable of being interpreted in this way, so that it cannot be said that they are incorrect.

If you're going to disagree, give a reason. Curt, matter-of-fact contradictions tend to irritate people.

Original post by chazwomaq
500g or less [weight].

180cm or less [height].

£20 or less [money].

These phrases use countable units but "less" is gramatically correct. TimmonaPortella's point is correct (and many Grammar Nazis don't get it - the irony!).

A clearer explanation than mine :borat:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by chazwomaq
500g or less [weight].

180cm or less [height].

£20 or less [money].

Not the same thing.

You're not referring to each gram as an individual entity; you're describing the collection of grams as one individual weight. Whereas items in a shopping basket are individual, and are treated as such.

See it explained here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7591905.stm

Works perfectly well. I would suggest that '5 items or less' signs are perfectly capable of being interpreted in this way, so that it cannot be said that they are incorrect.

If you're going to disagree, give a reason. Curt, matter-of-fact contradictions tend to irritate people.

But you're starting out by referring to the shopping as one entity, and then answering the question by separating it into its quantifiable components. It doesn't work, sorry.

----
Anyway, this REALLY wasn't supposed to turn into this debate! I was only saying that there are certain things in certain situations that we say every day that are incorrect. That it all! I wasn't looking for a lecture in grammar! I'm sure there would be thousands of other examples even if mine was incorrect (which it wasn't).
(edited 10 years ago)

Works perfectly well.

It only works perfectly well because you are used to seeing it and are conditioned to accepting it; "fewer" is correct when referring to things that can be counted.. Marks and Spencer makes a point of getting it right in its shops.

chazwomaq
These phrases use countable units

No. Those are measurable, not countable.

Quick Reply

Latest