The Student Room Group

Which is better for medicine: psychology or physics?

We have been asked to think about A level subject choices. I would like to do medicine later, and with good exam results, hope to choose chemistry, maths, and biology as my three but for a fourth i was wondering whether physics or psychology would be better as one is more reputed than the other whilst the other seems more relevant and useful? Which would unis prefer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Physics is much more respected and opens up many options if you decide not to do medicine but if you're doing biology, chemistry and maths then psychology would be the easier option and would hopefully ensure you'd get better grades in biology chemistry and maths as they are the most important for medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Millie-3
We have been asked to think about A level subject choices. I would like to do medicine later, and with good exam results, hope to choose chemistry, maths, and biology as my three but for a fourth i was wondering whether physics or psychology would be better as one is more reputed than the other whilst the other seems more relevant and useful? Which would unis prefer?

Honestly, I don't think it will matter too much. Yes physics is more respected, but you won't be GREATLY advantaged by choosing that over psychology. Go for the one you'd enjoy more and be more likely to do well in :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by sarah09_
Physics is much more respected and opens up many options if you decide not to do medicine but if you're doing biology, chemistry and maths then psychology would be the easier option and would hopefully ensure you'd get better grades in biology chemistry and maths as they are the most important for medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im pretty sure medicine in my vocation, and psychology seems pretty useful for that, but what unis think is very important to me too. Thanks for the answer :smile:
Id go for psychology as its more relevant to medicine.
To be honest, you wont be really advantaged/disadvantaged whichever one you take.
PHYSICS!

By far the better option! Psychology is seen as a softer option - plus physics A level is way way waaaaay better than GCSE - I have A2 and a degree in Medical Physics by the way - don;t let the GCSE put you off!
Reply 6
Psychology because its quite relevant to the course and they are using many psychological therapies to help patients in the NHS. You get a good basis of neuroscience and you are able to understand others more :smile: When I was at Manchester they liked the fact I took psych because not many applicants had it and it would help with patient interaction and it would help me to analyse situations from not just a biological aspect but also a cognitive/psychological aspect :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Wow so many mixed opinions! Has anybody done both? Anyone had fun with their a level like DoctorInTraining?
Reply 8
I'm absolutely loving physics at the moment, which is a massive surprise to me because I didn't like it at GCSE :biggrin: I'd go for physics because it's much more highly regarded and the overlap with chemistry and maths make those three go very well together.
Reply 9
Original post by kayy17
Psychology because its quite relevant to the course and they are using many psychological therapies to help patients in the NHS. You get a good basis of neuroscience and you are able to understand others more :smile: When I was at Manchester they liked the fact I took psych because not many applicants had it and it would help with patient interaction and it would help me to analyse situations from not just a biological aspect but also a cognitive/psychological aspect :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What were your other a levels?
Reply 10
Original post by Millie-3
What were your other a levels?

Maths and Bio.. I applied for biomedical science but my interviewer suggested I do graduate entry med which was something I was heavily considering already. Thats when he was saying how psych would help me. I did chem for AS but it wasnt something I enjoyed that much

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
There is no way you're getting into GEM with a Psychology degree. Unless it's at a top 3 university and you get a first class.
Original post by doctordee
There is no way you're getting into GEM with a Psychology degree. Unless it's at a top 3 university and you get a first class.

Across the vast gulf of time and space, the jimmies rustle softly.

Stay mad, because I'm a psych grad and I've nearly finished my 4yr training. It's also one of the most common degrees on my course. Not that this thread is even about graduate entry in the first place. But hey, why should you allow reading the OP to get in the way of posting in a thread, eh?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Universities won't care about whether your 3rd A level is psychology or physics. They're both proper A levels.

I would say choose psychology.

I did physics at A level and although I liked it, it has never come up in my 5 years of studying medicine. However, psychology and sociology makes up quite a large portion of the degree (at my university anyway) and people who studied psychology at A level and far fewer new things to learn whereas for me it was all new.

In conclusion, do psychology.
a lot of people choose physics but don't really enjoy it much so I suggest pick Psychology as it does look at the mind and study it as well as being extremely interesting. Its completely down to you though :tongue:
Physics is more relevant for Medicine
Original post by Boy_wonder_95

Really? I dont recall a physics module at medical school. There was that 12 week health psychology one and that 8 week psychiatry placement though.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Medical physics?
Original post by Boy_wonder_95

Psychology is also very relevant to Medicine too... To OP, I do both Psychology and Physics they are both really good subjects. I think it's down to personal preferences... Which one do will you enjoy more?
Reply 19
Psychology is easier in terms of the exam (surprisingly low grade boundaries), but requires a lot more time spent learning the material.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest