The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The only problem i have with him is when he goes looking for arguments with me just because im scouse.
Reply 4561
olliemccowan
It gives me great pleasure to announce this:

A certain Ole Gunnar Solskjaer marked his return to the Norway team with 2 goals against Hungary today. Final score Hungary 1 - 4 Norway. There's only one Ole Solskjaer!!!! :biggrin:

Nice one, well done Ole...happy for him :biggrin:
And Saha got one for France too in their 3-0 win in Georgia, so put together with Fletcher's goal as well, the United players have done very pretty well today :biggrin:
Reply 4563
olliemccowan
And Saha got one for France too in their 3-0 win in Georgia, so put together with Fletcher's goal as well, the United players have done very pretty well today :biggrin:

Well done Saha!..cheers for that Ollie :yy:
A good day all round and no injuries to United players which is very good :smile:
Reply 4565
UNITED 'REJECTED' MASCHERANO

David Gill has claimed that Manchester United were offered Javier Mascherano last week but turned down the proposal.

The 22-year-old midfielder sealed a surprise move from Corinthians to West Ham on transfer deadline day, along with Argentine compatriot Carlos Tevez.

Questions have been asked as to how The Hammers managed to beat off competition from the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and United to sign the highly-rated duo.

However, Red Devils chief executive Gill has now revealed that Mascherano was offered to the Old Trafford club on a short-term deal.

"We were never interested in Tevez. Mascherano, we were offered him," Gill said.

"We watched him throughout last season and he played at the World Cup, clearly.

"We were offered him at the start of the summer transfer window for a significant sum. The manager and his staff did not want to pursue that.

"We were also offered him towards the back end of last week in a loan-type deal for a year, and again we were not interested in that.

"From Manchester United's perspective, Tevez was never on the shopping list. Mascherano we watched closely and very carefully and the experts on that area in our club determined that we did not want to go for him."

United had intended to bring Owen Hargreaves into their midfield this summer but were frustrated as Bayern Munich refused to sell.

Nevertheless, Gill has confirmed that United are still interested in the England man, indicating that they could still have a chance of signing him in January.

"Owen was on record as being very interested in coming to us and we were clearly very interested in Owen," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"He is a player we have had on the list for quite a while, actually.

"Obviously Bayern were very keen - and are very keen - to keep him. We will have to see.

"If that situation does not change, then obviously we will not acquire Owen.

"But Bayern have indicated to me that they will let us know if the situation changes and at that point, we hopefully can consummate a deal.

"These things do not just happen on January 1, one has discussions around the year on these particular transactions."

Wayne Rooney, meanwhile, is expected to sign a new, long-term contract soon.

The 20-year-old is currently two years into a six-year deal, but both he and his employers are keen to extend his commitment to the club beyond 2010.

"He is a key player for us and his eagerness to sign a long-term deal is great," Gill remarked.

"I think there will be developments on that in the course of the next two or three months.

"We want to sit down and tie him to the club for longer, and really importantly for us and for our fans, he wants to do that."
Reply 4566
The terms of the tezez/mascherno deal are in the sunday times:

It seems they were both offerend around the entire premiership but nobody would pay the prices.
sooo... they were offered on loan to utd, again we turned them down because of the terms.

They were then offered on loan to West ham and portsmouth, they were supposed to goto portsmouth but that fell through because of the terms of the loan contract so they went to west ham.

Terms:
West ham paid no money for either player. They will pay half of the players wages for a year.
The players are still owned by MSI who can sell them on whenever and west ham will get nothing.
West ham is contractually obliged to start both players whenver they are fit enough.
A buyout clause of 60million would make the players west ham players for real

They only went to west ham as they are the only people who would put up with the terms of the deal. They will be gone within the year.
Reply 4567
Looking back to Gills statement, i think we will sign Owen Hargreaves in the January window, only problem with that is he'll be Cup tied in Europe but he could help push us in the Premiership i suppose......
Reply 4568
Daveo
The terms of the tezez/mascherno deal are in the sunday times:

It seems they were both offerend around the entire premiership but nobody would pay the prices.
sooo... they were offered on loan to utd, again we turned them down because of the terms.

They were then offered on loan to West ham and portsmouth, they were supposed to goto portsmouth but that fell through because of the terms of the loan contract so they went to west ham.

Terms:
West ham paid no money for either player. They will pay half of the players wages for a year.
The players are still owned by MSI who can sell them on whenever and west ham will get nothing.
West ham is contractually obliged to start both players whenver they are fit enough.
A buyout clause of 60million would make the players west ham players for real

They only went to west ham as they are the only people who would put up with the terms of the deal. They will be gone within the year.

So MSI arent taking over West Ham then?
Reply 4569
#2(Laika)
So MSI arent taking over West Ham then?
According to the times, Kia Joorabchian who used to be head of MSI is attempting to take them over.
Reply 4570
Daveo
According to the times, Kia Joorabchian who used to be head of MSI is attempting to take them over.

Right ok...
Reply 4571
Seems fergie doesnt think we needed either player, even though we tried to sign mascherno last year.
Reply 4572
Daveo
Seems fergie doesnt think we needed either player, even though we tried to sign mascherno last year.

Fergie probably feels the price they're asking is ridiculous and he could better players...i dunno....im just hoping we sign Hargreaves in January...was class yesterday for England....
fergie said he didnt need tevez and didnt want mascherano.
Reply 4574
I think MSI wanted a ridiculous amount of money for each player. When this failes as Dave said they offered them to clubs on loan but obviously none of the big clubs were going to accept a loan deal without a buy option. Utd wouldn't want them on loan only for Chelsea to buy them next season.
Reply 4575
David Gill's words were that Javier Mascherano was "not required" at Old Trafford. Well OK, if we keep faith in Michael Carrick, Paul Scholes, Darren Fletcher and John O'Shea. It would seem that we believe O'Shea and Carrick would be our ball-winners, with the other two sufficiently equipped to play the killer ball. If Daveo's right, a club like ours should not have to put up with the terms offered by MSI for the Argentine. Apparently West Ham don't have that luxury when such an opportunity comes along. I still think we're light in that area, though that will change if O'Shea continues to perform as ably and willingly as he has done. Yet I can anticipate the backlash from more fickle fans over the issue.
Reply 4576
#2(Laika)
Fergie probably feels the price they're asking is ridiculous and he could better players...i dunno....im just hoping we sign Hargreaves in January...was class yesterday for England....
Probably added on another few million to his price tag.
Reply 4577
Im glad we didnt get them with some stupid clauses attached, if we're buying players, we need to buy them outright not have them attached to investment companies.
Daveo
Im glad we didnt get them with some stupid clauses attached, if we're buying players, we need to buy them outright not have them attached to investment companies.

Indeed. We didn't want another Jean Mikel Obi on our hands.
Daveo

Exactly. We would have been taken for a ride and the pair aren't worth a collective £60m. When we signed Kuszczak Gill/Fergie said United dont do loan deals, no matter who the player is so you can understand them not getting either.

Latest