The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Juwel
Do you really think the result motivates the Arsenal players? They don't care about football!.

Lol apparently not.
Reply 4941
Oh good god, Graham Poll's reffing the game on Sunday.

Without Giggs and Park, I'm nervous about this game, considering our weak midfield and a defence that didn't inspire confidence yesterday. I really think we could lose this. I'd be happier if we were at Ashburton Grove to be honest.
Ronaldo! Vidic for Ferdinand? Or is that too rash?
Reply 4943
I'll give you Cristiano Ronaldo, particularly with Ashley Cole not there anymore. And Rio Ferdinand stays for me, Nemanja Vidic needs games but not this one, too risky, so Ferdinand the incumbent stays.

I just wonder if Arsenal will pass us off the park.
Juwel
I'll give you Cristiano Ronaldo, particularly with Ashley Cole not there anymore. And Rio Ferdinand stays for me, Nemanja Vidic needs games but not this one, too risky, so Ferdinand the incumbent stays.

I just wonder if Arsenal will pass us off the park.

That's why we need a more aggresive central midfielder than Carrick, i think i'd prefer O'Shea or even Smith.
Reply 4945
Have Evra, Wes, Rio and Gary at the back, Ronaldo, Scholes, O'Shea and Richardson in the middle, with Rooney and Saha up front. Bit too soon to use Smith in a big game from the start.

Alternatively have a middle 3 of Carrick, Scholes and Richardson, with Ronaldo, Rooney and Saha up front.

It'll be a close game I'd imagine, 2-1 United.
Reply 4946
I like the idea of Bex's 4-3-3 alternative. Rooney will have to be on song, but between the three of them there should be serious problems for Arsenal in terms of our movement. Maybe we can be caught out for numbers in midfield though, with Arsenal being so narrow and all.
Reply 4947
Although I'm not always the biggest of fans of the 4-3-3, we've beaten them that way before, and without any wingers yesterday, at times we seemed to struggle with the 4-4-2.
BexTait
Alternatively have a middle 3 of Carrick, Scholes and Richardson, with Ronaldo, Rooney and Saha up front.

Yea i've always liked that set up, i think i more defensive midfielder O'Shea/Fletcher instead of Richarson tho.
Henry and Van Persie are doubts =)
If Saha gets injured we are properly screwed.
Reply 4951
mc_watson87
If Saha gets injured we are properly screwed.

Not as bad as we otherwise would have been since Smudger's back, plus I'd guess that there is a recall caluse in Rossi's loan.
Reply 4952
Congratulations to Man U and Celtic for a fantastic match! I watched on Sky, it was great entertainment, and the better team won.

United played a good game against opponents who I think will be qualifying behind them from that group (so long as they fix that defence before they play Benfica.) Carrick was solid (if not superb), Rooney will play better against Arsenal (at least I hope he does, anyone else want to see Arsenal in the bottom three in mid September?! :smile: ), and despite the injuries to JS Park and Giggs, I have a feeling that your 100% start to the season may well continue (although, from a personal point of view, I hope it ends on November 4th when Pompey visit! :p: )

Well done United!
Reply 4953
I reckon Benfica will qualify second. More Euro savvy dontchaknow.
Reply 4954
mc_watson87
Henry and Van Persie are doubts =)

Good news :smile:
Reply 4955
srb1411
Congratulations to Man U and Celtic for a fantastic match! I watched on Sky, it was great entertainment, and the better team won.

United played a good game against opponents who I think will be qualifying behind them from that group (so long as they fix that defence before they play Benfica.) Carrick was solid (if not superb), Rooney will play better against Arsenal (at least I hope he does, anyone else want to see Arsenal in the bottom three in mid September?! :smile: ), and despite the injuries to JS Park and Giggs, I have a feeling that your 100% start to the season may well continue (although, from a personal point of view, I hope it ends on November 4th when Pompey visit! :p: )

Well done United!

:p:
Reply 4956
should be a brilliant open game

with henry and persie out youve got the better chance but baptista and adebayor are decent back-ups... adebayor less so... but i think adebayors gonna come good personally..
Reply 4957
UNITED BACK SCHOLES AND SAHA

Michael Carrick has praised team-mate Paul Scholes after their first competitive action together in Manchester United's 3-2 victory over Celtic.

All eyes were focused firmly on the new £18.6 million man before the game, but it was United stalwart Scholes who made the most significant impact with an assist and an incisive pass which led to the third.

It was only the 31-year-old's second appearance of the season, after a frustrating spell on the sidelines following his and Wayne Rooney's controversial three-match suspensions from the pre-season Amsterdam Tournament.

While Bhoys boss Gordon Strachan was left lamenting his side's passing display, Carrick knows that it was his midfield partner who was the decisive factor on the night.

"Paul Scholes is just fantastic," Carrick stated.

"When you play alongside him, you realise what a special talent he is. He is so intelligent and clever, he makes the game look really simple and showed it against Celtic by creating two goals.

"Believe me, it is a pretty hard skill to be able to slot people through gaps when everything is going on around you. Paul can do that and I felt he was the big difference between the teams."

Louis Saha also continued his fine form since the tail end of last season with the first two goals of the game.

The former Fulham man has had his doubters at the top level of European football, but went some way to answering his critics with his fourth strike in five games this season.

And team-mate Mikael Silvestre has backed his fellow Frenchman to continue his potency in the wake of Ruud van Nistelrooy's departure to Real Madrid over the summer.

"I do not understand why people have been questioning Louis' ability in front of goal," Silvestre pondered.

"He has been scoring goals for ages. Look at his record. Since he replaced Ruud in the United team, Louis has done really well.

"Like all strikers, he thrives on confidence, which he gets through scoring goals. I am really happy for him because he is making the team happy."

Saha himself would admit he has some way to go to match the departed Dutchman's 38 goals in 47 European games for United, but is content after notching his first ever UEFA Champions League goals.

"It was a good night to get goals and I suppose I might have had a hat-trick but we won the game, which is all that matters," Saha commented.

"I am enjoying myself at the moment. I don't feel extra pressure. I just keep giving 100 percent, which is what I will continue to do whether I am in the team or not."

With Ryan Giggs and Park Ji-Sung out through injury, United will be relying on their two star men to shine again for the important visit of Arsenal live on Sky Sports 1 on Sunday.
Reply 4958
jakatak
should be a brilliant open game

with henry and persie out youve got the better chance but baptista and adebayor are decent back-ups... adebayor less so... but i think adebayors gonna come good personally..

Adebaor reminds me of a younger version of Kanu. I can't see him sustaining a regular place in the Arsenal first team. I think its gonna be a very close game on Sunday but i can see united knicking it maybee 1-0 or 2-1! Can't wait for it!:biggrin:
Reply 4959
So whats your prediction Shady? :smile:

Latest