The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5560
#2(Laika)
Never said anything about Giggs lasting forever dude, Giggs is a fit 33 year old, its pretty hard to find someone at the age of 33 bombing down the wing and also tracking back to help the defense, he was our best player this season until he got injured!

yer pity hes injured, should be back for the next game right
Reply 5561
Aye, hopefully Giggsy'll be back for the Wigan game this coming weekend, dunno if it'll be a starting role, but be good to see him on the bench, save him for the game on the 22nd.

I dunno how long Giggs n Scholes will have left (and Nev). Possibly another 2-3 seasons, but I dunno if they'll play lots. IMHO the absense of Scholes last season is what's helped him this season as he's had a good break. All depends on how lucky/unlucky they get with injuries.
#2(Laika)
It would do him good if he went to Sunderland, i think hes a little lightweight for the Premiership at the moment, he needs to work on his Upper Body Strength....

yea it would be a permanent move and would be around £750,000
I think a permanent move is all that he could possibly hope for to be honest. Considering the quality we currently have in midfield, and also remembering the fact that we are still chasing Owen Hargreaves, there just doesn't seem to be any place for the guy. Sending him to work with Keano would, in my opinion, be one of the best ways for the guy to further his career. If he was 17/18 then you'd probably advise him to stay, but he's not and he just has to think whether or not he's going to break into the first team/squad.
Reply 5564
olliemccowan
I think a permanent move is all that he could possibly hope for to be honest. Considering the quality we currently have in midfield, and also remembering the fact that we are still chasing Owen Hargreaves, there just doesn't seem to be any place for the guy. Sending him to work with Keano would, in my opinion, be one of the best ways for the guy to further his career. If he was 17/18 then you'd probably advise him to stay, but he's not and he just has to think whether or not he's going to break into the first team/squad.

:ditto:

I think that Darron Gibson has a future with us, hes like our very own Steven Gerrard, the kid is gonna be class!
#2(Laika)
:ditto:

I think that Darron Gibson has a future with us, hes like our very own Steven Gerrard, the kid is gonna be class!

I haven't really seen much of Gibson to be honest, I'll make sure I watch out for him in the Carling Cup games etc.

By the way Rafa, did you watch any of the videos I posted in the Ultimate Football Thread? :biggrin: (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=6347336&postcount=2944)
Reply 5566
This David Jones you're all talking about?

Really promising young passer of a football.
Reply 5567
olliemccowan
I haven't really seen much of Gibson to be honest, I'll make sure I watch out for him in the Carling Cup games etc.

By the way Rafa, did you watch any of the videos I posted in the Ultimate Football Thread? :biggrin: (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=6347336&postcount=2944)

Hahahahaha, thats hilarious man, nice one cheers lol
Reply 5568
Juwel
This David Jones you're all talking about?

Really promising young passer of a football.

Yeh, hes a terrific passer...
Reply 5569
VAN NISTELROOY HAPPY TO LOOK BACK WITH NO ANGER

THE key to Sir Alex Ferguson keeping control at Manchester United? Keeping his distance. As the manager revealed that experience has taught him to delegate, the remove between Manchester and Madrid is evidently great enough for Ruud van Nistelrooy to be able to reflect with nostalgia on his stressful last months at Old Trafford.

Van Nistelrooy said that he twice turned down the chance to join Real Madrid during his career with United. The striker moved for £10.2 million during the summer and after saying he felt “betrayed” by Ferguson’s decision to leave him out of the side for last season’s Carling Cup final against Wigan Athletic, he no longer bears any enmity towards his former manager, despite the apparent acrimony as their relationship seemed to disintegrate.

“United was a fantastic time in my life, not only the football but we met some wonderful people,” the forward said. “I turned down the opportunity twice to come here during my United days but this time I could not say no. The history of the club is similar to United. You play at Old Trafford for the first time wearing a United shirt and it is unbelievable. Now I have the same feeling with Madrid.”

Van Nistelrooy also said last month his omission from the 4-0 win over Wigan was “like a stab in the back” but time has healed that wound. “I owe him a lot and respect him a lot,” Van Nistelrooy said of Ferguson. “What happened wasn’t so big to not talk to him. I said my thing and we just have to move on. Many great players have left United and other clubs. You move to another stage in your career but the memories remain from five fantastic years.”

Reflecting on his 32-year management career, Ferguson decried the creeping menace of player power. “More and more, we are dealing with player power,” the 64-year-old told a Uefa magazine, The Technician. “There is a player ego today that you have to deal with. As a coach, the one thing you must have is control. You can’t afford players to take charge of a training session. There has to be a strong discipline in the training and in general.”

David Beckham, Nicky Butt, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Gary Neville were known as “Fergie’s Fledglings”, products of United’s remarkably successful youth operation in the 1990s but Ferguson has now stepped back from United’s development of young players.

“As you get older, you learn to delegate better,” he said,. “You can’t do everything yourself at a major club. For example, with the youth programme, I put it in good hands, and oversee what is happening — it’s not possible for me to immerse myself in the youth work as I once did.

“As I progressed as a coach, I learned that observation was vital. To coach and watch at the same time is difficult. If you are involved too much in the coaching, you miss many things. I started to delegate more things to my assistant and to stand back sometimes.”

Ferguson says he most admires experienced coaches who have won trophies at different clubs, men such as Marcello Lippi and Fabio Capello, but there are also kind words for rivals. Rafael Benítez, the Liverpool manager, and José Mourinho, at Chelsea, are praised as “good examples of young coaches who have quickly risen to the top”.

Ferguson lauds Mourinho’s “ambition and hunger to listen and learn” and even brackets himself with Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager, despite the testy history between the two: “Coaches such as Fabio, Marcello, Arsène and myself suggest . . . that longevity can bring success.”

Not that Ferguson’s intensity has been diluted by age. “The really good coach is the one who is happy to work,” he said. “The drive, the hunger, the passion must be inside you, because players need to recognise that you care.”
Reply 5570
RONALDO IN NANI ADMISSION

Cristiano Ronaldo has admitted he would love to see international team-mate Nani lining up alongside him at Manchester United.

Nani is the hottest property in Portuguese football, just as Ronaldo himself was before Sir Alex Ferguson took him to Old Trafford in 2003 from Sporting Lisbon.

Although sometimes controversial and negative, Ronaldo has been hugely successful in England and Ferguson is obviously convinced Nani could do the same.

Sporting are desperate to tie down Nani to an extended deal, but as yet he has less than two years left on his current deal at the Jose Alvalade.

United are seemingly heading the race for the young forward, who has also attracted attention from Chelsea, Milan and Barcelona and reports suggest they could even make a move as early as January's transfer window,

Ronaldo admits that the prospect of playing with Nani at United would be a mouth-watering one.

"I'd like to see Nani and more Portuguese at Manchester United," admitted Ronaldo.

The United star is currently with Portugal ahead of their Euro 2008 qualifier with Poland on Wednesday.

Ronaldo is currently in glittering form for his club and he continued that with a two-goal salvo in the weekend's 3-0 triumph over Azerbaijan.

He is now hoping to lead his side to triumph over the Poles.

"I want to give a similar showing or even improve still because I can always improve things," he added.

"With Poland, it will be completely different because they have a better team [to Azerbaijan], with stronger players who are more experienced and play in better championships.

"Hence, things will be more difficult. We must do everything to win, knowing beforehand that Poland have a great team so we go there with much caution and a lot of respect, but always with the will to win."
Reply 5571
anyone seen roonys goal for portugal the other night
Ronaldo + Nani = total destruction of Premiership defences :p:
Reply 5573
olliemccowan
Ronaldo + Nani = total destruction of Premiership defences :p:

Would be sweet!
You've got to think that with Ronaldo already being at United, and Nani highly likely to be a massive admirer of Ronaldo, that we have a pretty nifty chance of signing the kid. Plus we've got Quieroz who can sweeten up the player and actually have some backing to his comments, being Assistant Manager.

Considering we still have, at a rough estimate, £20/25 million transfer budget remaining after the summer we could easily sign Hargreaves and Nani in the transfer window; rather than having to sign one or the other.
Reply 5575
More on this Nani please? Need a player profile type thing.
This is in Portuguese so it's hard to understand, but what I can see is that he's played 5 games this season (4 complete, 1 as sub) and scored 3 goals.

http://www.sporting.pt/Info/Futebol/Plantel/Futebol_FichaJogador.asp?idEpoca=347&idCompeticao=34&idJogador=26862

When Nani was mentioned in the newspapers it said he "practically single-handedly took Sporting to 2nd place in the league last season", so they admire him immensely.
Nani, Hargreaves + a striker and that would be us sorted :biggrin:
Reply 5578
we dont need a striker
Ronaldo VII
Nani, Hargreaves + a striker and that would be us sorted :biggrin:

I wish, but some how...

Latest