The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

CR45H
we'll see at the end of the season. last time we lost to arsenal we went on a run and i can see that happening again remember this is united and we always bounce back well.
Until your veterans leave... HAHA think of the possibilities in midfield... The mighty John O' Shea, Michael Carrick and the world beating Darren Fletcher. They are ALMOST as funny as Justin Hoyte.

Sort that Hargreaves thing... quickly!! Or you could buy someone for less and better... if your manager could actually spot young talent and had any concept of talent that was more acute than the average person walking about on the street.
RobbieC
Until your veterans leave... HAHA think of the possibilities in midfield... The mighty John O' Shea, Michael Carrick and the world beating Darren Fletcher. They are ALMOST as funny as Justin Hoyte.

Sort that Hargreaves thing... quickly!! Or you could buy someone for less and better... if your manager could actually spot young talent and had any concept of talent that was more acute than the average person walking about on the street.

Bit harsh mate. But after the 'veterans' leave, you know that Fergie will just go out and spend £30m on some fairly proven talent, which will keep them going for another few years.

As far as the talent thing goes - of course he's not going to be as good as Wenger at picking out promising talent. That's Wenger's forte. But Ferguson had the balls to splash £12m on Cristiano Ronaldo - and no-one knew who he was before he came to the premiership. Scholes, Beckham, Neville, Giggs etc. all came through the youth set-up. Ferguson spotted that talent, and played them consistently even when he was being criticised, initially, for doing so.
Reply 7642
Anyway isn't Wenger's forté poaching young talent that has already been spotted by other clubs? I don't think it takes a genius to spot a good player in Barca's youth academy for example (Fabregas, and others).
jose
Anyway isn't Wenger's forté poaching young talent that has already been spotted by other clubs? I don't think it takes a genius to spot a good player in Barca's youth academy for example (Fabregas, and others).

lol - and who exactly?

Barca didn't put up a fight for him - obviously that shows they didn't think he was going to be the player he is today. He buys players like Van Persie (Feynoord for 3m), Fabregas - free (I think), Toure - 500k......the list goes on, whilst Man Utd's current promising talents are: Rooney - 30m, Ferdinand - 30m, Carrick 20m.
Reply 7644
Synergetic
lol - and who exactly?

Barca didn't put up a fight for him - obviously that shows they didn't think he was going to be the player he is today. He buys players like Van Persie (Feynoord for 3m), Fabregas - free (I think), Toure - 500k......the list goes on, whilst Man Utd's current promising talents are: Rooney - 30m, Ferdinand - 30m, Carrick 20m.

Rio Ferdinand and Carrick promising talents?
Reply 7645
i was thinking of carlos vela but wiki tells me he came straight from mexico. I'm sure there's another spanish kid from barca though. Anyway united have rossi and pique who could step up. And Arsenal have some way to go before they can match the likes of Schmeichel, Solksjaer and err, Veron in the bargain stakes.
#2(Laika)
Rio Ferdinand and Carrick promising talents?

Well Ferdinand is probably at the peak of his career so probably not. Carrick - you're right. He's not even a talent.
jose
i was thinking of carlos vela but wiki tells me he came straight from mexico. I'm sure there's another spanish kid from barca though. Anyway united have rossi and pique who could step up. And Arsenal have some way to go before they can match the likes of Schmeichel, Solksjaer and err, Veron in the bargain stakes.

:toofunny: £28m wasn't it?

Seriously mate, don't bother with this argument. Over the last 10 years, the number of incredible 'bargains' Wenger has picked up is nothing short of extraordinary.
jose

Interesting fact for you, our starting 11 was bought for the price you paid for 1 Ferdinand or Carrick + 10 million :rofl:
Says a lot about Arsene Wenger, poaching young talent isnt the word at all. Spotting it is what he does, why was no-one else in for Fabregas or Merida then?????
Reply 7649
yeah the veron bit was in jest. And to be honest, i admire Wenger's youth policy. I saw an interview with him in which he said that seeing Abramovich & Mourinho spending their roubles made him even more determined to find another way to win, on principle. Good stuff. It does raise the question of how he can spot a good young player all the way over in Africa, but not a heinous dive by an Arsenal player directly in front of him. Just one of life's mysteries...
jose
yeah the veron bit was in jest. And to be honest, i admire Wenger's youth policy. I saw an interview with him in which he said that seeing Abramovich & Mourinho spending their roubles made him even more determined to find another way to win, on principle. Good stuff. It does raise the question of how he can spot a good young player all the way over in Africa, but not a heinous dive by an Arsenal player directly in front of him. Just one of life's mysteries...

lol Fair enough, although I think he has had a word with Eboue over his antics. Obviously he needs another word, or perhaps he should be dropped, but I doubt Wenger would have the balls to do that. There should be no place for the stupid things Ronaldo, Eboue, Drogba (to name but a few) do on a regular basis. I hope it gets stamped out.
jose

Eboue has been warned over that. No-one likes to see a diver or a cheat. Wenger has revolutionised the English game, well thats the view of many pundits anyway. And i agree with them.
Reply 7652
yeah, i'd go with retrospective bookings based on video evidence. And obviously that's for united players aswell-(Ronaldo, Rooney [against the 'invincibles], Heinze makes a meal of stuff- but with a smile of his face, Neville against City in the cup a few years ago and numerous others.
Reply 7653
Eboue, didnt he come from a feeder club though? I mean I remember reading about a club in i think france that takes talent from the african continent but then Arsene has options on the player.

It seemed abit shady.

Sir Alex does know talent, thats why he spends millions on them. Even if Veron didnt live up to the hype, he was respected alot before he came here, not our fault the league wasnt for him. Same with Forlan.
Reply 7654
Veron was a hell of a player and i think he could have been great in England but he needed a team built around him. When he played for us Veron was just another player. I had high hopes for him when beckham left. I thought we could start pushing everything through him and see what he could do as the undisputed playmaker. But Chelsea took him and he was even worse for them. Comically bad in fact.
AYE
Eboue, didnt he come from a feeder club though? I mean I remember reading about a club in i think france that takes talent from the african continent but then Arsene has options on the player.

It seemed abit shady.

Sir Alex does know talent, thats why he spends millions on them. Even if Veron didnt live up to the hype, he was respected alot before he came here, not our fault the league wasnt for him. Same with Forlan.

Exactly - the argument is that Ferguson has to buy proven talent - already well respected players because he can't spot bargain talents like Wenger.

As for Eboue - yes he did come from Arsenal's feeder club, Beveren.
Reply 7656
Synergetic
Exactly - the argument is that Ferguson has to buy proven talent - already well respected players because he can't spot bargain talents like Wenger.

As for Eboue - yes he did come from Arsenal's feeder club, Beveren.

Proven talents like:

Cantona
Schmeichel
Solskjaer

I have the uttermost respect to Wenger when it comes to finding potential talent but theres no doubt that Sir Alex is up there too, i mean sure hes made mistakes but who hasnt eh?....Reyes didnt exactly come cheap did he..17 million i think is his potential fee, what about Inamoto? Jeffers for 8 mill....and Pascal Cygan....you dont always get it right mate....sure Wenger is a class manager but dont take anything away from Sir Alex.
Reply 7657
Yeah and can we add an "in recent seasons" to that. Most of his big money buys have been attempts to replace the homegrown players that led united to an historic and unparralleld treble.
#2(Laika)
Proven talents like:

Cantona
Schmeichel
Solskjaer

I have the uttermost respect to Wenger when it comes to finding potential talent but theres no doubt that Sir Alex is up there too, i mean sure hes made mistakes but who hasnt eh?....Reyes didnt exactly come cheap did he..17 million i think is his potential fee, what about Inamoto? and Pascal Cygan....you dont always get it right mate....sure Wenger is a class manager but dont take anything away from Sir Alex.

Cantona - £1,200,000 in 1992, having already played a couple of seasons for Leeds and scored goals. He wasn't a world-class player then, but most people still knew who he was.

Schmeichel and Solskjaer, fair enough.

If you look at my post at the top of the page, I was also arguing how Ferguson could 'spot talent' and brought Beckham, Giggs etc. through the youth team and gave them a chance.

But if you try to compare in the last 10 years what he's bought against what Wenger's bought, and comparing the money both have spent, Wenger is in a different league to Ferguson.

As AFCwill said: Interesting fact for you, our starting 11 was bought for the price you paid for 1 Ferdinand or Carrick + 10 million.
Reply 7659
I'd go with that. There's no contest in recent seasons, not that he hasn't tried- Bardsley, Brown, O'shea, Richardson, Spector, Fletcher, Jones have all been given time- too much in Fletcher's case. And Brown was basically crippled by injuries. I'd like to see some more youngsters come through. I think Lee Martin and Evans along with Pique, Rossie and Ebanks Blake are the next promising lot.

Latest