The Student Room Group

Social course?

I'm not a uni student, just to get that out of the way, but I came across someone who'd studied 'social theory'. Naturally I went on the internet to look it up, but I still don't quite understand exactly
what it is.

"Social theories are frameworks of empirical evidence used to study and interpret social phenomena."

The thing is, I understand it, to a degree. I think an example would be useful, because what I don't get is what uses it would have.
I'm not making myself clear, I think. Uses, as in, what type of social phenomena? What purpose do they serve?

If this is in the wrong topic, I apologise - I'm not sure in which topic to post this on.

And if anyone answers, thanks.
Although, I'm pretty sure this wasn't a very clear question.
I hope I'm right in saying that a course in social theory is very much like sociology. Social theories include those like Marxism, Feminism and Functionalism, and social phenomena are things that take place in society for example, moral panics and folk devils. Different social theories will interpret moral panics differently, some believing they are caused in certain ways/have certain uses. Marxists would see the bourgeois owned media as creating moral panics in order to maintain control over the proletariat e.g in Stuart Hall’s book ‘Policing the Crisis’ (1980) he looked at the moral panic of increased muggings by black youths. Hall found that rather than there being an increased number of muggings, the term 'mugging' was not actually a criminal offense so there were no real statistics. He concluded that the media and the bourgeoisie create moral panics in order to perpetuate fear and maintain control over the whole of society. Wheras, functionalists would say that the media don't create moral panics because it is free from control, so where a moral panic exists it is real.

Hopefully that makes some sort of sense. I'm sure it would be a pretty interesting degree.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by feathergirl
I hope I'm right in saying that a course in social theory is very much like sociology. Social theories include those like Marxism, Feminism and Functionalism, and social phenomena are things that take place in society for example, moral panics and folk devils. Different social theories will interpret moral panics differently, some believing they are caused in certain ways/have certain uses. Marxists would see the bourgeois owned media as creating moral panics in order to maintain control over the proletariat e.g in Stuart Hall’s book ‘Policing the Crisis’ (1980) he looked at the moral panic of increased muggings by black youths. Hall found that rather than there being an increased number of muggings, the term 'mugging' was not actually a criminal offense so there were no real statistics. He concluded that the media and the bourgeoisie create moral panics in order to perpetuate fear and maintain control over the whole of society. Wheras, functionalists would say that the media don't create moral panics because it is free from control, so where a moral panic exists it is real.

Hopefully that makes some sort of sense. I'm sure it would be a pretty interesting degree.

Oh wow, it does actually seem quite interesting. And yeah, it did make sense - thank you! It's clearer to me now. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending