The Student Room Group

Alternative Qualifications in Maths

Hello, I want to learn all the same material that is covered in Core Maths, Further Pure Maths, Decision and Mechanics. I don't want to take all the A-Level exams though as it would be too expensive for my parents to pay for it. I did not do so well in my GCSEs but that does not really matter in my opinion as I can do Maths but just was never allowed.

What are some alternative qualifications that I could take that have no coursework and are available to private candidates and preferably don't have more than 2 exam papers.

Thank You
A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adriantakbirra
Hello, I want to learn all the same material that is covered in Core Maths, Further Pure Maths, Decision and Mechanics. I don't want to take all the A-Level exams though as it would be too expensive for my parents to pay for it. I did not do so well in my GCSEs but that does not really matter in my opinion as I can do Maths but just was never allowed.

What are some alternative qualifications that I could take that have no coursework and are available to private candidates and preferably don't have more than 2 exam papers.

Thank You
A

There isn't a qualification that suits your requirements.
Reply 2

Thank You
A

Maths and Further maths A levels are really good qualifications. I assume you want to go to university. They are the best that Further education has to offer and they are viewed favourably upon.

If entering these exams does prove difficult, I'm sure there's some sort of government bursary that exists, such as the 16-19 bursary scheme.

It's unliklely that you will sit less than 2 papers in maths, most probably 3.
Reply 3
Original post by Mr M
There isn't a qualification that suits your requirements.

Oh, Is there a qualification that would cover Core Maths and FP Maths? Or just Core?
Original post by Mike_123
Maths and Further maths A levels are really good qualifications. I assume you want to go to university. They are the best that Further education has to offer and they are viewed favourably upon.

If entering these exams does prove difficult, I'm sure there's some sort of government bursary that exists, such as the 16-19 bursary scheme.

It's unliklely that you will sit less than 2 papers in maths, most probably 3.

You need to take at least 12 exams to obtain Maths and FM A Levels.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr M
You need to take at least 12 exams to obtain Maths and FM A Levels.

I assumed it would be taken over 2 years.
(edited 10 years ago)
Oh, Is there a qualification that would cover Core Maths and FP Maths? Or just Core?

You can take an A Level in Pure Mathematics but you will need to take 6 exams.
Original post by Mike_123
I assumed it would be taken over 2 years.

Taking 2 or 3 papers per year for 2 years would not achieve the desired outcome.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8

What do you want/need a qualification for

What is your time scale for study
Reply 9
Original post by Mr M
You can take an A Level in Pure Mathematics but you will need to take 6 exams.

What about http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-international-as-and-a-level-mathematics-further-9231/

Original post by TenOfThem
What do you want/need a qualification for

What is your time scale for study

I just want something to prove I know this level of Mathematics.
I wan't to do it in a Year from January 2014. But can do it over 2 Years.

Prove to whom
If it is just yourself then study and do not worry about the exams

If it is about universities - what are you hoping to study
http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-international-as-and-a-level-mathematics-further-9231/

Yes CIE is fewer papers but you would struggle to find a centre at which to sit these qualifications
Prove to whom
If it is just yourself then study and do not worry about the exams

If it is about universities - what are you hoping to study

I just really want to do Maths at this level.
I want to study Engineering or Architecture.
I just really want to do Maths at this level.
I want to study Engineering or Architecture.

So, you really want an A level in maths - are you at school/college at the moment
What about http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-international-as-and-a-level-mathematics-further-9231/

Are you an overseas student then? You didn't make us aware of this!
So, you really want an A level in maths - are you at school/college at the moment

I just want a qualification. It does not have to be A Level or even widely respected. I am in Sixth Form but it is really rubbish!
Original post by Mr M
Are you an overseas student then? You didn't make us aware of this!

No, I live in Liverpool. I just though Cambridge would be more respected.
No, I live in Liverpool. I just though Cambridge would be more respected.

That specification is designed for international students.
I just want a qualification. It does not have to be A Level or even widely respected. I am in Sixth Form but it is really rubbish!

What grade did you get in GCSE maths and what subjects are you studying in Sixth Form? There is a range of qualifications called Free Standing Maths Qualifications that might suit you.

If you want to study Engineering or Architecture at University then they will want you to have A Level Maths

Quick Reply

Latest