The Student Room Group

Why is it Acceptable to Proudly Say "Nobody likes a Tory" ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DoctorInTraining
Whilst in a pub with several people I only just met, something about politics was mentioned on the news.

One of the guys joked about the previous government - which received mixed response.

A few moments later another guy very loudly announced "But nobody likes a Tory!"

This was overheard by a couple of randoms at the bar who turned round, cheered and offered to by him a drink.

Why is this seen as acceptable?!

If it was a religion or race - this would not be seen as appropriate - why should politics be any different?

Oh and for the record I'm not a Tory - voted Lib Dem in 2010 and probably never again Nick Clegg!

You're right. Those of centre left leanings like to think of themselves as open minded and tolerant, but just tend to be as intolerant as anybody else.

Nobody should be ashen as if their political affiliations.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Its true demographics do play a part but you need to realise that when the rich get richer and the poor get poorer the middle class goes down in volume/size.

Eventually the Tories will become less and less favourable. The reason for that is with a smaller middle class people will be drawn to having financial security rather than being drawn to mass consumption.

A good example is our shopping habits. If you go to Tesco you will still see people pile their trolleys full but I can bet you they've been taking buy 1 get 1 free deals and so on.
Aldi was 2013's top Grocer of the year due to its incredible low prices and good quality.

Yet amazingly those catagorised as Middle Class have increased. Yet many like myself, although falling into the category of middle class still for some unknown reason call myself working class because both of my parents started off as working class, but transitioned to middle class.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2417031/Middle-class-Not-60-say-working-class--1983.html

I shop at Aldi and Lidl. I'm
Not ashamed of that. Why should I pay over the odds by shopping at Waitrose.

More and more people are shopping at these places because of a whole host of reasons.
Reply 22
Original post by goldie56
Were you in the North? If so, you need a history lesson

The miners. That was 30 years ago, people should learn to move in.
Original post by meenu89

There's areas out there still grumbling about Watt and his infernal steam engine.
Reply 24

Well at least here at TSR those poor hated tories are protected from such hurtful truths.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
Never heard anyone say that.
Whilst in a pub with several people I only just met, something about politics was mentioned on the news.

One of the guys joked about the previous government - which received mixed response.

A few moments later another guy very loudly announced "But nobody likes a Tory!"

This was overheard by a couple of randoms at the bar who turned round, cheered and offered to by him a drink.

If it was a religion or race - this would not be seen as appropriate - why should politics be any different?

Oh and for the record I'm not a Tory - voted Lib Dem in 2010 and probably never again Nick Clegg!

At least you have seen the error of your ways.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Yet amazingly those catagorised as Middle Class have increased. Yet many like myself, although falling into the category of middle class still for some unknown reason call myself working class because both of my parents started off as working class, but transitioned to middle class.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2417031/Middle-class-Not-60-say-working-class--1983.html

I shop at Aldi and Lidl. I'm
Not ashamed of that. Why should I pay over the odds by shopping at Waitrose.

More and more people are shopping at these places because of a whole host of reasons.

Mature stooodent how much do you earn per anum?
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Mature stooodent how much do you earn per anum?

Its rude to ask about money. But its above the national average.
Reply 29
Its rude to ask about money. But its above the national average.

How the hell do you find time for it all on top of your extremely devoted propganda pushing and studying?
Original post by meenu89

I dare you to go to a pub in Grimethorpe and say that.

OP, it's politics, we mock them on prime time national tele (Mock the Week, HIGFNY, 8 out of 10 cats etc.), it's something it's just accepted you can that with.

Guuarantee if you go into a bar in the City and declare 'aren't Labour ****s' you'll get cheered to the rafters and bought a Nebuchadnezzar of Ace of Spades (last bit maybe slight exaggeration).
The only good Tory is a lavatory.
Even if your earning £50,000 today your not classed as middle class. People think they are but the reality is that inflation on the cost of living is increasing every year at around 20%+.

A good example is the price of Chicken. Around 2009 a Whole Chicken was around £1.60 a kg in Tesco. Now it is £3.30 a kg. That is 25% increase per year.
Then consider the price of sausages. In April 2013 the price of Tesco Value Sausages 1kg where £1. And now the price is £1.50. That is a 50% increase per year.

Inflation is eating at your fiat currency. Personally I don't hold dollars or sterling now since mark carney recently expanded the UKs balance sheet and filled it with US debt securities.

Rude? I dunno. I always leer at money.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ36hNkGkS0
Original post by n00
How the hell do you find time for it all on top of your extremely devoted propganda pushing and studying?

I like to multi task.
I like to multi task.

Me too.
Reply 35
Political views can change; race can't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending