The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Might as well make an unofficial thread for us before the real ones are made.

There's nothing particularly official about other ones, other than somebody deciding to write Official in the name :wink:

This is earlier than applicants threads have been created in the past.... so if the mod team decides it would be better for you to come back in a few months, don't be too surprised. But I'll leave the thread open unless/until that's decided :smile:
Course: Chemical Engineering via Natural Sciences (or possibly just Natural Sciences, depending on if I change my mind!)
College: Emma looks quite nice although admittedly that's the only one I've properly looked into
GCSEs: 6A*s 7As 1B (don't look at me like that I know a B I know)
A level subjects: Maths, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature
Other stuff: I'm doing a Engineering Education Scheme project at the moment, applying for an EDT Headstart course and reading Chemical Reaction Engineering by Levenspiel. May also be doing a two-month placement with a local chem eng company between finishing A-Levels and starting uni but that's not definite yet.
Can I make a Cambridge Applicants 2017 entry thread as well?:wink:
Just got an offer today (state school) for Chemical Engineering via NatSci.
if anyone has any questions ill be happy to help.
Reply 24
Original post by fluteflute
Make sure you get the course right. Otherwise you probably won't get in, and if you did then you'd probably be miserable.

For Philosophy then I read this book as some motivation when deciding whether to apply. I'd highly recommend it (cheap version here if you can't find it in a library). Of course you'll want to read other things as well before making such a major decision, but that's one place to start :smile:

Hahaha don't worry, I'm just finding it a difficult decision to make since I'm interested in lots of different subjects :smile:
Thank you! I will definitely have a look later as I'm on my phone at the moment :smile: there's also a reading list on the Faculty website so I think I'll try something from that too
Are you studying philosophy then, or something else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Can I make a Cambridge Applicants 2017 entry thread as well?:wink:
No :tongue:

Original post by newrecord
Hahaha don't worry, I'm just finding it a difficult decision to make since I'm interested in lots of different subjects :smile:
Thank you! I will definitely have a look later as I'm on my phone at the moment :smile: there's also a reading list on the Faculty website so I think I'll try something from that too
Are you studying philosophy then, or something else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm actually studying Computer Science and Philosophy at Oxford (something you have the right subjects for actually... since you have Maths). Trying something from the faculty reading list sounds sensible, I was probably somewhat naive in not realising quite how big the difference between reading of 'popular' book like the one I mentioned, and reading actual academic articles/books.

Porque, solo tres anos para ir?

Why, only three years to go?:tongue:
Original post by Davelittle

(I apologise in advance if I bombard you with questions haha)
Did you take Further Maths? Just AS or full A-Level?
How much ChemEng-related stuff had you done previous to applying?
Are there any books you'd particularly recommend? I know you haven't got a course textbook list or anything but are there any that you read that you thought beneficial?
Do you think your GCSEs/ASs or your enthusiasm for chemical engineering were more important in you getting an offer?
Thank you :biggrin:

What grades did you get for GCSE and AS?
Reply 29

I'm actually studying Computer Science and Philosophy at Oxford (something you have the right subjects for actually... since you have Maths). Trying something from the faculty reading list sounds sensible, I was probably somewhat naive in not realising quite how big the difference between reading of 'popular' book like the one I mentioned, and reading actual academic articles/books.

Ah that's really cool- I know someone who does just Computer Science at Oxford, it sounds interesting :smile:
I guess the book convinced you to pursue philosophy, and there's nothing wrong with 'popular' books :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
There's nothing particularly official about other ones, other than somebody deciding to write Official in the name :wink:

This is earlier than applicants threads have been created in the past.... so if the mod team decides it would be better for you to come back in a few months, don't be too surprised. But I'll leave the thread open unless/until that's decided :smile:

Oh I thought someone special made it :mmm:

I don't see why it should be closed anyway :tongue: just getting to know other potential candidates and course mates, motivate us to try hard and get in :wink:
Original post by sarcastic-sal
(I apologise in advance if I bombard you with questions haha)
Did you take Further Maths? Just AS or full A-Level?
How much ChemEng-related stuff had you done previous to applying?
Are there any books you'd particularly recommend? I know you haven't got a course textbook list or anything but are there any that you read that you thought beneficial?
Do you think your GCSEs/ASs or your enthusiasm for chemical engineering were more important in you getting an offer?
Thank you :biggrin:

I'm taking AS further maths this year but its not on my offer so I might drop it.

Very little, read a book on renewables and 1 day work exp.

Erm it's hard as there are very few chem eng books that aren't boring textbooks. Maybe look at some chem eng careers and read up on what your interested in (renewables for me as I mentioned earlier)!

Not sure, I barely got asked anything about chem eng just "why chem eng and not NatSci" and I "only" got 92.22% at AS level which I below the 95/96% average so i must've impressed at interview!
Reply 32
Original post by CaddyCompson
Haha, I don't really know how I got them, I was probably given someone else's sheet on results day.

I know, I love it! My nan did her degree in French and I've got some family there so they kind of want me to study it but I've always wanted to do English

You did well :tongue:

Aah French is just awesome. As is any language :woo: you're lucky you have people who speak it!
What grades did you get for GCSE and AS?

9A*s at GCSE and 5 A's at AS (92.22% average over my 3 relevant maths phys chem)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
You did well :tongue:

Aah French is just awesome. As is any language :woo: you're lucky you have people who speak it!

I know, but I feel embarrassed speaking it in front of my family because they would notice all my mistakes haha.

How come you don't want to study French at Uni?
9A*s at GCSE and 5 A's at AS (92.22% average over my 3 relevant maths phys chem)

Niice, what maths modules did you study?
Reply 36

I may as well do this too.

I got an offer for Phys NatSci, I'll answer any questions I can. I'm a gap year applicant so I can talk to anyone about that too if they're considering taking a gap year and applying.

Also state schooled.
Reply 37
Original post by CaddyCompson
I know, but I feel embarrassed speaking it in front of my family because they would notice all my mistakes haha.

How come you don't want to study French at Uni?

But you learn from mistakes!

Tbh, I'd prefer Spanish and Italian/Mandarin and Russian but even so, I like sciences too much to abandon them. Can do languages in my own time :yep:

Hope you don't overrun the thread :wink:

Loving the avatar :smug:

C1 88 C2 100 D1 resat 76 -> 87
Original post by alow
I may as well do this too.

I got an offer for Phys NatSci, I'll answer any questions I can. I'm a gap year applicant so I can talk to anyone about that too if they're considering taking a gap year and applying.

Also state schooled.

Nice one fellow "state schooler" :wink:

What's your offer/college or is it unconditional? If so what did you get :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending