The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
mauri
i did mean rent - thanks. general cost of living too. there's so much stuff to think about!
im looking at architecture at the mo, but law's on the lists too. im predicted 3As and a B at AS level, hopefully the same at A2. good to know its not all in the grades. who ever got rejected with 5As should be furious! but at least we know its not all about the grades, which is comforting.
anybody doing or know someone doing architecture? its such a long course! gotta be worth it right? i have no idea where to get that kind of money from!
m

Actually there was a girl who did our sourse some years back, who got 5 or 6 A's at A level, and could have gone to Oxbridge, but wanted to do DTV (Trent is the only place to run such a course) and was declined because they liked people to experience the year art and design foundation course. Her mum was outraged that a student with such amazing grades would be told to take a year doing a btec before she would be accepted, and went to the papers. Because of the bad publicity it was giving Trent, the dean told the course leader to take her on, so they did. As it happened she turned out to be the best student ever, and has an amazing career, after doing an MA in film design (only 6 people are accepted per year, and it is the only MA in the country) Even after this though, they don't take on students without doing the foundation, because of the "life experience" it gives you, and gets you out of the formal school ways. So my course definitely goes on personal qualities (and portfolio) and really isn't bothered about grades.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 21
James_W
Nottingham rejected my friend who got straight A's and is predicted straight A's, but accepted me who's predicted straight B's.. go figure.

you do also have to have a personality etc, 3 A's means very little on its own.
Reply 22
Unless I've been in my own Truman Show since birth, I don't think the admissions tutor at Notts could tell what my personality is like from a personal statement. The other person with straight A's is a safe fella.. out every weekend in town, cheerful, witty and is great to have a chat with from time to time - so he definitely has the personality to get in.

Latest

Trending

Trending