The Student Room Group

AQA - English Language B A2 - 3rd of June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saraw26
I just said that they supported them. I didn't seem to have time to go into theorists that much are there were so many AO1 points haha.

Where are you wanting to study SaLT at uni? A masters in it will be so intense. Then again, you seem clever so I'm sure you will do well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I said too. I only very briefly and vaguely when into their limitations. Eek!

Not too sure yet - I'll probably think about that in my second year of undergraduate as it depends where my fiancé and I will be living etc

It's a two year course so hopefully I'll be ok as I'm only missing out on one year. Fingers crossed :smile:
You know when he said "where's batteries?" did anyone else bring in object permanence? I feel like I bull ****ted everything
Reply 582
Original post by Anna.Karenina
That's what I said too. I only very briefly and vaguely when into their limitations. Eek!

Not too sure yet - I'll probably think about that in my second year of undergraduate as it depends where my fiancé and I will be living etc

It's a two year course so hopefully I'll be ok as I'm only missing out on one year. Fingers crossed :smile:

It'll be fine :smile:

Yeah true. Quite a few uni's do it in four years though at undergraduate as it's so full on. Just a warning haha, but like I said, you seem veey clever :biggrin:

Have you had any work/voluntary experience? Although I guess you won't need any for a few years haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 583
Original post by kingzebra
You know when he said "where's batteries?" did anyone else bring in object permanence? I feel like I bull ****ted everything

Yeah I did along with him asking where his dad was
Original post by saraw26
It'll be fine :smile:

Yeah true. Quite a few uni's do it in four years though at undergraduate as it's so full on. Just a warning haha, but like I said, you seem veey clever :biggrin:

Have you had any work/voluntary experience? Although I guess you won't need any for a few years haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where are you hoping to study it?

A few bits here and there, but like you said, I've got time to build it up :smile: What experience do you have?
Original post by RMT
Yeah I did along with him asking where his dad was

Thank you muffin :smile:
Reply 586
Where are you hoping to study it?

A few bits here and there, but like you said, I've got time to build it up :smile: What experience do you have?

Had a few offers from Newcastle, MMU and BCU. Had an interview at Sheffield, but was unsuccess due to the high demand. Ended up going for MMU :smile:

Ah nice :smile: Shadowed a few SLTs, worked at a hospital for a week last summer, volunteer at the stroke association and ear foundation and some work at primary schools.

Hope my A levels are going to set me up for a good basis too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know what UMS you need to get an A*- worked out I only needed to a get a low D in the exam to get an A, so hoping I could get an A*? :smile:
Reply 588
Original post by christinag
Does anyone know what UMS you need to get an A*- worked out I only needed to a get a low D in the exam to get an A, so hoping I could get an A*? :smile:

360 I think :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did everybody get on for theories? For CLA I used Chomsky, Bruner, Piaget, Aitchson, Halliday, Vgotsky, and Dore, but I used mostly AS theorists for Language Change...

I messed up one of my theorists and talked bout cognitive and the knowledgable other rather than social constructivist... but hoping that won't let me down too badly!

I mentioned behaviourist, interactionist, nativist, social constructivist, cognitive, and also halliday's language functions, and also Tannen about gender

For change, I used mainly articles I have recently read about ideas on language change, but also mentioned Romaine's theory of external/internal influences, Bex's genre theory and Crystal's economy of language and dialogic nature of e-messaging! :smile:
Original post by RMT
I was an idiot and didn't realise that question 1 transcript B carried on on the other page so I've missed whatever was in that bit! I'm so annoyed and waiting to see if my booklet was printed correctly as I don't remember seeing it. Aside from that though it went well I think. I thought question 4 was a really good question even though I hate the comparison ones

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg, I just realised I did exactly the same thing...do you know how much more of the transcript was on the next page?
Are you planning on studying something related to language?

I'm planning on studying Linguistics and Comparative Literature and then onto Speech and Language Therapy for my Masters :smile:

Conscious that I'm literally butting into your conversation here, but I'm planning on doing speech and language too! Where abouts have you firmed?
Reply 592
Original post by fishypop
Omg, I just realised I did exactly the same thing...do you know how much more of the transcript was on the next page?

It was about half a page but people have said that as long as you analysed A and the first bit of B well then you didn't miss out on much and we should still get good marks - Fingers crossed! Some people are getting confused though. If you did the bit with Bob the builder and the badge then you haven't missed any.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 593
Conscious that I'm literally butting into your conversation here, but I'm planning on doing speech and language too! Where abouts have you firmed?

The user you have quoted said she is doing a masters in speech and language therapy after doing a degree. I'm going to study it in September (grades permitting) so if you want to chat, then you can PM me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RMT
It was about half a page but people have said that as long as you analysed A and the first bit of B well then you didn't miss out on much and we should still get good marks - Fingers crossed! Some people are getting confused though. If you did the bit with Bob the builder and the badge then you haven't missed any.

Ah thank you :smile: I've never liked the way the data is laid out in the booklet tbh, it's sometimes not too clear. But if I haven't missed much, that's a relief!
Reply 595
Ah thank you :smile: I've never liked the way the data is laid out in the booklet tbh, it's sometimes not too clear. But if I haven't missed much, that's a relief!

I know, I don't like it either. It should say on the bottom of the page: "transcript continues" or something for someone like me whose brain dies with the stress of exams haha. I folded the page over because I don't like writing on just the table so I didn't see it :/. I hope you still get a good mark :smile:
wow it seems that i am the only one who studied king lear for section A- and guys it was great
Original post by RMT

yeh I suppose that is true you dont need to talk about everything they say as long as you mentioned the main linguistic features all should be well:smile:
I absolutely loved question 4, mainly the cosmopolitan article. I can't believe that no one in my college picked up on the Americanisms, the use of 'whatevering' and using 'killer..' I think it was hair or styles...
This led me onto a full on debate over the future of English language and putting in David Crystal and bidialectism. How it is likely that because of the purpose of the text and that it is for cosmopolitan could affect how the writer uses language and that it is possible that given the opportunity she could use 100% standard English... Hope that would pick up marks!
I also found a weird piece of syntax in the Cosmo one, didn't know if it was due to typing so I commented on that possibility haha!
Hope everyone feels good about the exam and gets what they need for university!
Reply 599
What stage did everyone put Joe in?

Quick Reply

Latest