The Student Room Group

Is it true you can use any UoL library if you go to a UoL uni?

Every student at a University of London Uni can use each other's libraries? If so, are there any other privileges that UoL students have that they share with each other?
Reply 1
Yes you can, may have restrictions tho. You can also use Senate House Library :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can - you cannot borrow though (you just need to get a photo and get an external member library card to use it). You cannot use senate house anymore without a £300+ subscription - a rule that was brought in a couple of years back if I remember correctly.
Reply 3
Don't some offer borrowing rights? I seem to remember some do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Senate House allows it if your faculty says you can... I know it works this way for Birkbeck students

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Not to be a pedant, but "every" may not actually be the case with some of the smaller institutions. Birkbeck going to UCL or LSE to KCL is unlikely to be much of an issue, depends on why you're there - just to have somewhere to sit?

However, some of the little places might have local security measures making it inconvenient to anyone but their own students. I'm thinking of Institute of Education, LSHTM and Heythrop.

Also, not necessarily on point, but this also isn't the case with unions. Generally, anyone can rock up to Kings or UCL unions (during daytime), but last time I was at the George a BBK student had to sign in guests - and it was only one allowed.
Reply 6
Top Tip:

Many people are completely unaware that uni libraries are open to the general public. There may be minimal formalities eg registering. It maybe at the "discretion" of the librarian. But if you need something you can go get it. A good example might be if you sue somebody so need law books for example.
Reply 7
Original post by Clip
Not to be a pedant, but "every" may not actually be the case with some of the smaller institutions. Birkbeck going to UCL or LSE to KCL is unlikely to be much of an issue, depends on why you're there - just to have somewhere to sit?

However, some of the little places might have local security measures making it inconvenient to anyone but their own students. I'm thinking of Institute of Education, LSHTM and Heythrop.

Also, not necessarily on point, but this also isn't the case with unions. Generally, anyone can rock up to Kings or UCL unions (during daytime), but last time I was at the George a BBK student had to sign in guests - and it was only one allowed.

That actually makes sense! I also remember hearing that BBK students have to sign in guests for the George.

Sounds like an odd question, but can anyone get into ULU? I have an interview at one of the nearby colleges this week, might be able to sneak in and fetch a burger after!
Reply 8
Original post by mariocasas
Every student at a University of London Uni can use each other's libraries? If so, are there any other privileges that UoL students have that they share with each other?

You can't use ANY UoL libraries. You can share your gff/bff with another UoL student. :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Lord Jon
That actually makes sense! I also remember hearing that BBK students have to sign in guests for the George.

Sounds like an odd question, but can anyone get into ULU? I have an interview at one of the nearby colleges this week, might be able to sneak in and fetch a burger after!

Yes, you can. I have been there and I was never asked for my student id. But every time I went to the George I have had to flash my flashy Birkbeck id card around.
Reply 10

You can get a burger somewhere else surely? :tongue:

I really wanna join the ULU libraries if possible though. I'm not applying to uni till this autumn but there's loads of stuff I want to read up on - anyone know if it's possible? :colone:
Reply 11
Senate House allows it if your faculty says you can... I know it works this way for Birkbeck students

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not for all Birkbeck students.
Reply 12
Original post by Old_Simon
Top Tip:

Many people are completely unaware that uni libraries are open to the general public. There may be minimal formalities eg registering. It maybe at the "discretion" of the librarian. But if you need something you can go get it. A good example might be if you sue somebody so need law books for example.

False. Not all uni library are open to the public. You often have to apply to get access to the library (let alone getting borrowing rights) and it is at discretion of the uni library admin staff. They can turn you down if they think it is the best thing to do. So even if you need something, just read it in the very library, you have no guarantee that you will be allowed inside.
Reply 13
Original post by Old_Simon
Top Tip:

If not open to the public (pre-arranged permission may be needed and the visit supervised), then, for members of a participating library, access to other participating university libraries through the SCONUL system

www.sconul.ac.uk/access

Plus there are inter-library loans.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14

Before 5 (or is it 6pm), ANYONE can walk into ULU. That is - any Tom, Dick or Harry off the street, not even a student. It's not uncommon to see contractors or random people in the Gallery taking advantage of the prices.

I think you tend to find people in there whose own unions are either non-existent, or rubbish.

Apart from the gym, ULU is pretty pointless during the daytime, is ok at night - and just goes wild at the end of term.

BTW - I'm not sold on the food in the Gallery. It's mediocre at best. Depending on the day, there is sometimes a food market in the central quad area out back, which is a gazillion times better. Otherwise - definitely UCL, or local shops - Russell Square or Tottenham Ct Road.
Reply 15
Original post by Alpha brah
You can get a burger somewhere else surely? :tongue:

I really wanna join the ULU libraries if possible though. I'm not applying to uni till this autumn but there's loads of stuff I want to read up on - anyone know if it's possible? :colone:

Haha I could... but I wanna snoop too :wink:

Original post by Juichiro
Not for all Birkbeck students.

Yeah I know :smile: , it should be on your my birkbeck account , if you're allowed by your faculty. (I think someone said this in a students Facebook group)

False. Not all uni library are open to the public. You often have to apply to get access to the library (let alone getting borrowing rights) and it is at discretion of the uni library admin staff. They can turn you down if they think it is the best thing to do. So even if you need something, just read it in the very library, you have no guarantee that you will be allowed inside.

Some charge too!

Original post by Clip
Before 5 (or is it 6pm), ANYONE can walk into ULU. That is - any Tom, Dick or Harry off the street, not even a student. It's not uncommon to see contractors or random people in the Gallery taking advantage of the prices.

I think you tend to find people in there whose own unions are either non-existent, or rubbish.

Apart from the gym, ULU is pretty pointless during the daytime, is ok at night - and just goes wild at the end of term.

BTW - I'm not sold on the food in the Gallery. It's mediocre at best. Depending on the day, there is sometimes a food market in the central quad area out back, which is a gazillion times better. Otherwise - definitely UCL, or local shops - Russell Square or Tottenham Ct Road.

I hope Birkbeck Union is good! I might be starting there (and carrying on my union work from college and run for a position there too!) in September.

I don't know a great deal about ULU but in my eyes it doesn't seem like a very representative structure. It's not even affiliated to NUS and if you look, a few of the sab officers are NCAFC. Not that I have an issue
... im a member of nc myself! :tongue:

But I've come across a fair few people from my work at the student union from ULU and other university of london unions who are quite upset that it's gone.

In my eyes ULU just seems like a bunch of clubs societies a nice few eateries and a gym. Nothing more. .

I hope they keep the pool!

As for getting in, I'll have a wee sneaky look then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Yes, you can. I have been there and I was never asked for my student id. But every time I went to the George I have had to flash my flashy Birkbeck id card around.

Birkbeck student I see? What do you study? What's it like! :biggrin:

Have my interview soon :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Haha I could... but I wanna snoop too :wink:

Open days? :colondollar:

I hope they keep the pool!

As for getting in, I'll have a wee sneaky look then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This was how I read that line. I need sleep :rofl:
Reply 18
Original post by Alpha brah
Open days? :colondollar:

This was how I read that line. I need sleep :rofl:

Haha yes you should go bed now!

And no! :frown: *throws strop* I wanna snoop now haha. Mainly because open day for some reason isn't held on site... nor does it look at these things.

Open day is at a hotel! :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So it's not false at all then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending