The Student Room Group

Zidane>Ronaldo=Messi

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by pane123
Costacurta did, too.

If Man City achieve the success that everyone expects them to, then I suspect Kompany will be seen as an all time great. Few players can boast a trophy haul like Gerard Pique's and I guess you could say the same for Sergio Ramos, although I will concede his success belies his ability. Thiago Silva is a superb defender, too, and could go down as an all time great if Brazil are successful at the World Cup.

Why was Cannavaro not on your list?

Costacurta too, as i said, would have been 38 or 39, defunct arguement. none of them could even be mentioned int he same breath as the aforementioned legends. Konpany lol. these days even big teams get turned over conceeding 4 or 5 goals a game in the premiership, this was much less common in the old days, not only becuase they had decent centrebacks but also as said, defenders were allowed to be far more physical and agressive y the laws and referees. people who have only watched football in the last 10 years have no clue what playing the game was like in 1970s - would suggest take a look at how had defenders and midfeilders landed tackles in those days and never even got yellow cards. the idea that being a striker back then was not harder than now is laughable
Reply 61
Original post by EatMyJunk
Costacurta too, as i said, would have been 38 or 39, defunct arguement. none of them could even be mentioned int he same breath as the aforementioned legends. Konpany lol. these days even big teams get turned over conceeding 4 or 5 goals a game in the premiership, this was much less common in the old days, not only becuase they had decent centrebacks but also as said, defenders were allowed to be far more physical and agressive y the laws and referees. people who have only watched football in the last 10 years have no clue what playing the game was like in 1970s - would suggest take a look at how had defenders and midfeilders landed tackles in those days and never even got yellow cards. the idea that being a striker back then was not harder than now is laughable

Why is Kompany worth of a 'lol'?

I know just fine how defender tackled back then. Defenders are far better athletes nowadays. You have named some great footballers, but they represent a fraction of the pool of top level defenders back then. For every player you mentioned, there would have been 10 players who would be deemed to fat to get close to the reserves, never mind the likes of today's Barcelona - you have conveniently forgotten about them.

I also refuse to believe you saw very much of some the players you mentioned.
The one feature that made Zidane one of the greatest is that he was a big game player. He always showed up.

Reply 63
Original post by EatMyJunk
thats part of my point, people are always baised to players of their current generation,but then old commentaotrs who have seen pele, falcao, maradona zico, original ronaldo zidane, messi etc, regard the early players as better- messi is close though, most people regard maradona as greatest forwar, zico as one of the greatest goal scoring midfeilders ( look at his international record) other mentions pele, cruyff, platini, You also have to rememebr people also regard efenders as better bac then too, so you had more to deal with then that messi does now.

I saw Zico play Soccer Aid 1 and he was still a beast even then, can't comment on Maradona, I've seen him play too but that I think he's an insufferable bastard clouds my judgement. I'm not sure defenders were better though. They just put in more tackles and did less reading of a slower paced game. Defending as an art form has changed a huge amount in a relatively short space of time.
Reply 64
Original post by pane123
Why is Kompany worth of a 'lol'?

I know just fine how defender tackled back then. Defenders are far better athletes nowadays. You have named some great footballers, but they represent a fraction of the pool of top level defenders back then. For every player you mentioned, there would have been 10 players who would be deemed to fat to get close to the reserves, never mind the likes of today's Barcelona - you have conveniently forgotten about them.

I also refuse to believe you saw very much of some the players you mentioned.

if defenders nowadays are better athlethes, then so are strikers and midfeilders surely :s-smilie: Not commenting on their atheltisim, jsut on ability to defend. yes i names simply the best of the crop, but there are plenty also not eve in a top 15 that would be regarded as very good defenders- butcher, tony adams, marcel desaiily, des walker, even alan hansen, we could play this game all day. The best guys you could think of in the modern game ddint reach the level of the earlier names i mentioned - which is telling. Only cannavaro would be regarded as a 'great' even tho hes pretty much retired now hasnt he?? not a current generation defender. And he would not make the all time italy back 4 with maldini baresi facchetti costacurta around. i saw a lot of 90s football, sniippets of 80s - but now am able to see large amounts of 70s and 80s that is the beauty of the internet. then theres jsut talking to people that watching football in the 80s. obvuously most of the tsr population probab havent watched much footy before 2004- hence the ignrant bias. but its without question football was a tougher more physical game before the 1990s and that strikers got much much less prtoection compared to messis era - and that has allowed messi to ran at guys who just fall over in his wake. in the 70s he would have got his leg broken for trying that so much.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by Wattsy
I saw Zico play Soccer Aid 1 and he was still a beast even then, can't comment on Maradona, I've seen him play too but that I think he's an insufferable bastard clouds my judgement. I'm not sure defenders were better though. They just put in more tackles and did less reading of a slower paced game. Defending as an art form has changed a huge amount in a relatively short space of time.

Zico was legend of the goal scoring midfielder mould, i think someting like 65 international goals in 75 games. in terms of pure skill you had likes of socrates, falcao- brazil produced some crazy skillful playes in the 70-80s. Defneders played to the games rules- ie it allowed a more physical hard- tackling approach, it wasnt as easy simply to ran at and then past a defneder- usually he would flatten you, and it may or may not be called a foul/card- now you cant just keeping kicking the oppnents playmaker, you have to be more tactically savvy - so its brought the Coaches role more into the game, Cant see anyone better than maradona though, i wachted msot of the condensed highlights of the 86 world cup, he essentially single handedly won for argentina. Not a good role model charater wise, but a pure genius - and prved it on internatioanl stage- something messi yet to do.
Reply 66
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Real Madrid? Where he had every great player in the world playing with him? The real star of that Real Madrid team was Makelele. He allowed that team to play with five attacking players in front of him. When he left, Real Madrid's dominance quickly vanished.

Zidane is an all-time great and no one can deny that. I just don't see how he's any better than the likes of Xavi and Iniesta. If Spain win the World Cup with Brazil and Germany hugely favoured for it, then Xavi and Iniesta surpass Zidane imo.

This this and so much this. Makelele is the reason we now have so much interest in defensive midfielders.
Reply 67
Shame people don't remember Baggio or Romario. 1994 was a great year.
Reply 68
Original post by little_tom
The one feature that made Zidane one of the greatest is that he was a big game player. He always showed up.

Lol, that video told me he didn't do much. He made one free kick that was really just a cross and most of the work was still on Henry. Other than that, all that video showed is that he has some skills on the ball. Any video of Ronaldinho during his good years has the same if not better...
Original post by little_tom

The 30s from 2:30 to 3:00 are a much watch for any football fan.
Original post by danny111
Lol, that video told me he didn't do much. He made one free kick that was really just a cross and most of the work was still on Henry. Other than that, all that video showed is that he has some skills on the ball. Any video of Ronaldinho during his good years has the same if not better...

:cry::cry:
Original post by Manchester United
In my lifetime;

Ronaldo/Messi (to avoid that debate) >>>>> Zidane > Ronaldo > Kaka 2007 > Ronaldinho = Iniesta > Xavi = Henry > Nedved > ...

I would throw Maldini in there, but it may confuse things.

I would agree with that mostly, But i would but Ronaldinho with Zidane personally.
On the note of a Zidane, he was a flawed genius ultimately..
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by pane123
I was thinking about this the other day. For me, Messi is the best player of all time, with no real close competition.

All the players you listed are magnificent, but I decided Ronaldinho is my 2nd favourite. He seemed to be able to come up with tricks I have rarely seen other players do and use them with devastating effect. Quite often players who do tricks do them for the sake of it and they don't actually get them anywhere. The simple genius of his toe poke against Chelsea was breathtaking, too.

On top of all that, his performance against Real Madrid is the best I've ever seen one player have:

[video="youtube;ZyRCKZww-vI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyRCKZww-vI[/video]

I think Ronaldinho was the guy who gave Messi the confidence to be the best, just watching that video you see Roni pretty much taking on anyone who came near him, with Messi on the pitch aswell, I remember that time, Barcelona was all about Ronaldinho, he was the guy everyone wanted to get the ball, it wasnt Messi at that point.
(edited 10 years ago)
Zidane was just amazing to watch from what ive ever seen of him, the thing about saying theres a best footballer in the world is that every great footballer plays differently. I've personally always been a fan of those players that seem to just casually keep the ball and never really got tackled, always done something with the ball no matter what.

I think the greatest footballers are the ones that dont even look like theyre trying. Zidane is one of those.
Original post by 419
Don't get why people keep mentioning Ronaldinho in this conversation. He has no place there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think out of each player in their prime, id rather have Messi or Ronaldo running at me with a ball rather than Zidane or Roni, the first two would easily take it past me.

Zidane and Roni would probably embarass me and giggle.
Reply 75
Original post by pane123
Because when he was at his best he was bloody good to watch. I don't think anyone is suggesting that he's the best of all time, though.

Understand the difference between 'been in the conversation' and 'best of all time'. I'm not saying that people are saying he's the best of all time but he is in the conversation for most people. But he was only at the top for what 5 seasons?, that to me is relatively a short period to be involved in the conversation.

Like everyone, ****ing enjoyed watching the guy and I appreciate it but, consistency is where it's at and he lacked that.
Original post by Apocrypha
I think out of each player in their prime, id rather have Messi or Ronaldo running at me with a ball rather than Zidane or Roni, the first two would easily take it past me.

Zidane and Roni would probably embarass me and giggle.

You'd rather have Zidane running past you than Messi?
Reply 77
Original post by 419
Understand the difference between 'been in the conversation' and 'best of all time'. I'm not saying that people are saying he's the best of all time but he is in the conversation for most people. But he was only at the top for what 5 seasons?, that to me is relatively a short period to be involved in the conversation.

Like everyone, ****ing enjoyed watching the guy and I appreciate it but, consistency is where it's at and he lacked that.

I think his career was shortened because he liked to enjoy himself more than most. His raw talent was incredible but I think he got bored.

It's a shame, but I'd probably do the same with his kind of money.
Ronaldinho was pretty much done by 26. He didn't entertain at Milan to the same extent he did at Barca.

Unique player though, nobody played like him before and nobody has done since. The things he could do with a football at his feet, bloody hell. You see videos of him kicking a ball around with professional freestylers and he's better than all of them.

That overhead kick he scored where he cocked up his control then flung himself at it just absolutely sums him up. His improvisation and 'expect the unexpected' style, just brilliant.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by pane123
I think his career was shortened because he liked to enjoy himself more than most. His raw talent was incredible but I think he got bored.

It's a shame, but I'd probably do the same with his kind of money.

Ronaldinho was a top 'LAD'.

Quick Reply

Latest