The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Spanish- Culture Essays

I've studied the history of Cuba in the 20th century for this section and having looked at several past essays them seem to ask you to write about particular 'events' or to choose a specific 'event' from the time period you've studied. My teacher told us we could write about the revolution as an event but we then discovered that on some of the examiners reports they've said that people who considered the spanish civil war to be an event chose a subject that is far too braod. Do you think the cuban revolution is too broad? would it be better to just focus on the year of education/land reform/missile crisis?
Original post by Estherrr
I've studied the history of Cuba in the 20th century for this section and having looked at several past essays them seem to ask you to write about particular 'events' or to choose a specific 'event' from the time period you've studied. My teacher told us we could write about the revolution as an event but we then discovered that on some of the examiners reports they've said that people who considered the spanish civil war to be an event chose a subject that is far too braod. Do you think the cuban revolution is too broad? would it be better to just focus on the year of education/land reform/missile crisis?

Given that you have studied an area - Cuba - wouldn't it be more logical to answer the questions about an area? I believe your answers, which convey your knowledge of Cuba, will allow you to be awarded much higher marks for content, and therefore a higher grade if you chose the questions about an area.
Reply 2
Original post by Estherrr

Original post by Nuestro rey
Given that you have studied an area - Cuba - wouldn't it be more logical to answer the questions about an area? I believe your answers, which convey your knowledge of Cuba, will allow you to be awarded much higher marks for content, and therefore a higher grade if you chose the questions about an area.

Hi,

I'm doing the Spanish Civil War. If they ask about an event, I think I will pick on particular event, for example the Asturias Revolution, but they also sometimes ask about eventS therefore I would mention the reform period under Azaña and a few other things but I'm not going to try and cram in the entire Civil War in a 200 word essay because that wouldn't be detailed enough.

To gain content marks you really need to be precise and show you have a depth of understanding and by talking about 2 or three sub events in detail, you are doing so.

I would definitely clear up with your teacher which question to answer because you wouldn't want to end up answering the wrong one or something and dropping loads of marks.

If you are talking history, it should be the same category as me. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest