The Student Room Group

Lack of coverage about the Ukraine riots.... (ongoing)

I'm quite shocked to be honest of the lack of coverage of the ukraine riots seeing Kiev has effectively become a warzone.

The government just passed a bill banning protesting and any slander of government officials.

The voting was done instantly after the 100 page long bill had been read with all the current regimes supporters raising their hands which while legal caught the opposition off guard with many not aware this meant many MP's where actually voting by raising their hands, seeing for the last decade the voting has been done electronically.

Turns out even with this method a photo of this happening actually shows even then the bill did not have enough supporters to be passed.

http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine/euromaidan-rallies-in-ukraine-jan-19-live-updates-335218.html

http://news.msn.com/world/thousands-protest-in-ukraine-defying-court-ban

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-01-17/ukraine-activists-vow-to-defy-protest-ban-as-new-laws-fuel-anger

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25798320

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah seems BBC don't have anyone on the ground or if they do, they're not reporting from there on camera. They show clips of violence on the bulletin and a bit of information, but not all that much.
Reply 2
It's probably not in the news' company's interests.
Reply 3
Canada has news and russian news about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
it is all over the news now
Do you even watch the news? It's been on Sky, BBC, ITV etc.
Its being going on since before December and is now only being covered by the main news channels.

Want to know why? Take a minute...

They're killing people without any remorse.

Western media loves to spin its own angle on governments firing on its own people and show to us lovely people in the west how good we have it! Not that our governments screw us over.

The Ukrainian people dont like their government nor Russia but they'll lose.

The fact the EU is threatening sanctions is mystifying. Who then hell will suffer more? The people backed by Russia who DGAF about the EU or the people who want to have a better quality of life?

Russia >>>EU

Protestors being shot with snipers. This is getting crazy.
Whenever the west are involved in these things you know it has nothing to do with Democracy. Did you see the American politician who went to Ukraine recently handing out cookies to protesters? her husband's founder of project of the new american century which talks of false flags, tactics to spread their influence. NEO-CON ZIONISTS!Surely people have noticed that the media is very anti- Russian and nobody asks why? from bashing the Sochi Olympics, pussy riot (who funds them?) to the law against homosexual propaganda being taught which was a law we had not long ago. They're using homosexuality as a political tool they don't care about the treatment of gays in a country like Uganda or even Saudi Arabia who are butt buddies of US/Israel. Just like the Bolshevik revolution when they took control of Russia and wreaked death and destruction these people are once again on the doorstep and trying to get into Russia.The evil communists all went off to Israel and America. They particularly detest Russia lately for interfering in Syria. USA and the west claims to be fighting a war on terror, but at the same time they're funding terrorism. Regime change just means they want someone who puts their interests before the people. Don't fool for their dirty tricks.
Reply 9
Original post by KimKallstrom
Do you even watch the news? It's been on Sky, BBC, ITV etc.

Tbf to the OP, this was posted 4 weeks ago, but needless to say its all over the news right now.
Whilst Ukraine is at the forefront at the moment, there still needs to be more coverage on Thailand and Venezuela. Not many people are too aware of what is going on in those countries.
Original post by Olie
Tbf to the OP, this was posted 4 weeks ago, but needless to say its all over the news right now.

I somehow missed that.

Please accept my apology, Opie.
What do you mean lack of coverage? It's front page news on the Guardian.

As it is, I'm very worried about one of my close mates, who is Ukrainian and flew back there three days ago to support the anti-Yanukovich movement.

He's been in Maidan today, and I'm very worried about his safety. But I do understand that he has to do what he has to do, I just asked him to stay safe (as far as is possible) and be careful.
Reply 13
Haha yeah this has been going on since november.... little to no coverage until 5 days ago.

The killing actually started around 4 weeks ago but sadly a few people killed by snipers or through beatings at the hands of the police tends to not get peoples attention when compared to dozens of Molotov cocktails being thrown at police and APC's.

The only reason it's has much more coverage was due to the fact the protesters attempted to march onto the parliament then a ceasefire was created so the blockades would be taken down.

Which the police broke in less than 2 hours and took part the square.

Then they stopped even trying to hold back and went 'fully auto' on the protesters... who surprisingly managed to fight back.
I saw some footage of police in riot gear throwing firebombs. Looked crazy
Just the west spreading Democracy as usual.I feel for the Ukrainians first they suffered a real holocaust that goes ignored.Then Chernobyl.Now this! They're being used, this is all to do with NATO and the western powers who want to move in on Russia.
Never mind this getting little coverage, look at Venezuela!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
Whilst Ukraine is at the forefront at the moment, there still needs to be more coverage on Thailand and Venezuela. Not many people are too aware of what is going on in those countries.

TBH the Beeb at least have ran a few articles on Thailand. The total lack of coverage on Venezuela is shocking considering hundreds of thousands have taken to the streets.

Original post by Justice4gentiles
Just the west spreading Democracy as usual.I feel for the Ukrainians first they suffered a real holocaust that goes ignored.Then Chernobyl.Now this! They're being used, this is all to do with NATO and the western powers who want to move in on Russia.

You're a moron. Are you suggesting that run-of-the-mill Ukrainian working class people are risking, and in many cases giving up, their lives because they want to impress NATO and/or EU and 'the West'?

I assume such a propaganda campaign engineered by NATO countries that was sufficient enough to mobilise the people around several different cities to the point of violent revolution would be pretty noticeable. Where is it?
Reply 18
any violence is good for someone
Original post by StretfordEnd
You're a moron. Are you suggesting that run-of-the-mill Ukrainian working class people are risking, and in many cases giving up, their lives because they want to impress NATO and/or EU and 'the West'?

I assume such a propaganda campaign engineered by NATO countries that was sufficient enough to mobilise the people around several different cities to the point of violent revolution would be pretty noticeable. Where is it?

I don't think 'wanting to impress the EU' or 'a giant propaganda campaign' are quite the right terms for it... More like: since 1991, Ukrainians have been told, whether directly or indirectly, that in just a couple years, with just a few more votes, Ukraine would be ready to join the EU, and it would be welcomed there with open arms. My parents believed that, and voted against remaining with Russia in 1991. Now they live in Austria and sincerely doubt the EU will ever want Ukraine for anything other than a buffer zone between them and Russia, but quite a lot of the people I talked to when visiting relatives this summer do actually still believe that it'll be 'just a couple more years'. This is reflected in the interviews I've seen: when people talk about the EU, it's about whether it's good to join or not, not whether it's actually possible. (On the other hand, I've mainly been watching British and Austrian news, so maybe they just don't want to show clips that portray the EU as liars..?) So yeah, not exactly some underground conspiracy, but...

My own two cents on the whole thing: people fighting against corruption is amazing!! Seriously, the corruption there is unbelievable, and people who protested against that are extremely heroic imo. On the other hand: what the hell is up with the opposition honoring (Nazi collaborator) Bandera and using (originally Nazi collaborationist) slogans like "Glory to Ukraine - To the heroes, glory"?! I know our very favorite far-right neo-Nazi anti-Semitic group Svoboda is providing the majority of the opposition's militaristic defense, but... really??? It's creepy and disturbing.

Btw, can anybody tell me why exactly it would be such an awful idea for Ukraine to split into two? A smaller Ukraine would be easier for Europe to swallow no matter what happens in 'just a couple more years', and I don't see the point of trying to force the eastern part + Crimea to join the cause if they don't want to. Wasn't most of western Ukraine part of the Austro-Hungarian empire, then Poland, etc. until recently anyway?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending