The Student Room Group

Should I leave this apprenticeship?

Hello, a while ago I was handed a printout at my local jobcentre for an office junior apprenticeship role and told to apply. Working in an office environment is not something I'm aiming to do in the future but the job description didn't seem too bad and I thought it would be better than nothing if I were lucky enough to get it, so I went ahead and applied.

Fast forward a few weeks and I had an interview, got the job and started several weeks later! Great. Except for one thing; it's only now that I'm starting to learn the full details of what an apprenticeship actually is! I'm not completely stupid (I don't think :s-smilie:) but I honestly didn't know, for example, that you had to attend a college course as part of an apprenticeship. I just thought that you would have some sort of on-the-job training and were therefore paid less because of this. Bear in mind that this was something that the jobcentre gave me rather than something I had found and researched myself. Had I of known all the information I now know I wouldn't have applied because I don't want to start going to college again and don't wish to annoy an employer by leaving half-way through as soon as something else comes up. The sort of duties I've been doing are also a lot different from what's on the job description but I won't go into that for now...

I've been on the apprenticeship for about a month now but haven't yet been enrolled on the college course or received my contract.
I'm currently applying for other jobs but doubt that I will receive any responses before I'm enrolled on the course which I believe is imminent.

Do I let them enrol me on the course when I intend to leave as soon as something else comes up?
Or do I own up that I don't really want the apprenticeship and potentially make it easier for them to get someone else?

Thanks for any replies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending