The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Unit 4 | Life on the Margins: The Food Supply Problem | Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by emmaw15138
I draw mine in the introduction and refer to them throughout.

Just wondering if you are going to refer to them is there a need to draw them? can you just refer to them instead?
Original post by gooner4ever
Hi this is perfectly fine! Although part of food supply is ensuring effective distribution the report is focussing on actual strategies to help increase the punt of food produced in the first place and as to whether this is sustainable.

I wouldn't recommend the last case study of food banks in England. This helps decrease food insecure but is it really Strategy that increases food suppl?

Good luck! Off to get my fix of Revsion caffeine!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What makes you think that the report is exclusively focussed on production? "Supply" is the term used in the pre-release. As you say, supply is more than just production.
Reply 162
Hey everyone,
My teacher and i have been talking and i might only do 3 case studies, the reason is that i am a slow writer and it is easier to gain the first few marks of the conclusion than of the main body. Is this ok? Also i was intending to use the Green Green Wall as a local case study (if scale comes up) or in increasing the productivity of the land, but my research says that it will eventually cover about 42% of China's land mass, does this mean its national or local? I was planning to use Cuba as my national and the Green Revolution as my International with also possibly aquaculture :smile:
thank you
I am using 4 case studies:

Vertical farming
GM Crops
Money Maker Pumps
Green Revolution in Africa

Stating the reasons why each is sustainable or why they are not
Original post by lala121
Just wondering if you are going to refer to them is there a need to draw them? can you just refer to them instead?

I expect you'd be alright to just refer to them, it'd still be considered research. I guess it just depends how much you'll refer to them.. If it's once or twice I doubt you need to draw them
Does anyone know how to get top marks in this? I really need to do well but I just don't understand how to get a top mark....
I'm doing GM crops, vertical farming, green revolution, organic farming and money maker pumps. How in depth are you guys going??
Original post by mr.cool09
i think thats the problem with everyone!!!!!

Original post by recurring500
Is it just me that has a major issue with time management in this unit!?

Any tips on how to use 90 minutes sparingly?

I went to this online student seminar thing by Edexcel at college and got given a pack of tips for the exam. There's a useful diagram which gives recommended timings that go something like this...

Plan = 5 mins
Introduction = 20 mins
Analysis = 45 mins
Conclusion = 20 mins

Hope that's of some help, I bet I don't end up sticking to it in the exam!
does anyone have an essay to share i don't think I'm writing this in the right way?! :confused:
Hi guys
I will cut a long story short my case studies are gm crops,green rev, land reforms and white revolution. It has just occurred to me that 3 of my case studies (gm crops,green rev and land reforms) are all on a global scale. I'm not a bit confused as to how to create a framework as I only have one regional scale case study ..is that okay to have only one regional and 3 global ? Otherwise I was wondering to scale it up by top-down and bottom-up.
Any help will be appreciated :smile:
I can't figure out whether organic farming in Cuba is bottom-up or top-down! It appears bottom-up but the whole thing relies on government funding and support!

Any got any further ideas/predictions of the question?

I'm planning on memorising my essay although I'm worried that will reduce my ability to analyse well if i'm simply just writing down by route!
a bit of a stupid question but are you guys going to use a ruler to draw up your methodology or just free hand it to save time?
Reply 171
Original post by dreamville
a bit of a stupid question but are you guys going to use a ruler to draw up your methodology or just free hand it to save time?

I think using a ruler and pencil is better. You want it to be neat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 172
can anyone tell me why fairtrade is sustainable?? my teacher said this would be a good case study to add but I can't think of a conclusion...
Original post by DK160
can anyone tell me why fairtrade is sustainable?? my teacher said this would be a good case study to add but I can't think of a conclusion...

fair-trade involves all farmer members of a cooperative they are treated equally and get a fair wage, also get a social premium above that of the wages. they reinvest this into machinery and social services e.g. school for farmers, tends to increase yields and so supply. so its socially and economically sustainable. not so much environmentally.
Original post by tinap52
fair-trade involves all farmer members of a cooperative they are treated equally and get a fair wage, also get a social premium above that of the wages. they reinvest this into machinery and social services e.g. school for farmers, tends to increase yields and so supply. so its socially and economically sustainable. not so much environmentally.

You could argue that it is environmentally sustainable as Fair Trade apply sustainable irrigation practices, crop rotation and use sustainably sourced water (this is from my Ecuador Fair Trade Bananas case study)

I guess it depends what argument you're making. Fair Trade is one of my 'more' sustainable case studies so I've tried to look at the sustainable parts.
Original post by emmaw15138
You could argue that it is environmentally sustainable as Fair Trade apply sustainable irrigation practices, crop rotation and use sustainably sourced water (this is from my Ecuador Fair Trade Bananas case study)

I guess it depends what argument you're making. Fair Trade is one of my 'more' sustainable case studies so I've tried to look at the sustainable parts.

oh yeah thats true i recently decided not to do fair-trade but i looked at the kuapa kokoo coperative in ghana!
Reply 176
Original post by Thetannedgirl
Hi guys
I will cut a long story short my case studies are gm crops,green rev, land reforms and white revolution. It has just occurred to me that 3 of my case studies (gm crops,green rev and land reforms) are all on a global scale. I'm not a bit confused as to how to create a framework as I only have one regional scale case study ..is that okay to have only one regional and 3 global ? Otherwise I was wondering to scale it up by top-down and bottom-up.
Any help will be appreciated :smile:

Heya!

My teacher has recommended about 5/6 case studies at least, but I understand your predicament as I'm a slow writer too, which is why I am doing this on a laptop!

I'd perhaps do a balance between global and regional to be honest - it gives a better picture. I'm doing strategies but I'm putting two case studies for each (unless its specific like say, intermediate strategies in South Sudan) and then reaching an initial conclusion, then it all builds up to a final conclusion. Just make sure it is varying sustainabilities, as this is what the examiners want for this report. Keep things limiting supply, such as climate, politics, increasing population etc (E2) in mind when you are evaluating whether it is sustainable. The case studies should arguably be about a page long at least, but if I were in your shoes, I'd maybe add in a couple of more for a comparison and perhaps slightly shorter - it gives a better overview of it rather than GM crops in India and organic farming in the UK - it may work for them but it may not work for others, or to a larger degree, on a global scale!

Hope that's been helpful!:smile:
Reply 177
Original post by lala121
I think using a ruler and pencil is better. You want it to be neat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn, thanks! I was going to forget a ruler! Haha.
Reply 178
Original post by gooner4ever
I can't figure out whether organic farming in Cuba is bottom-up or top-down! It appears bottom-up but the whole thing relies on government funding and support!

Any got any further ideas/predictions of the question?

I'm planning on memorising my essay although I'm worried that will reduce my ability to analyse well if i'm simply just writing down by route!

My teacher gave us this question to go by. He encourages us to write out reports and memorise them. Additionally, you may want to consider that he's an Edexcel examiner!

Evaluate varying sustainable strategies for increasing global food security
Reply 179
Original post by Ehawks
My teacher gave us this question to go by. He encourages us to write out reports and memorise them. Additionally, you may want to consider that he's an Edexcel examiner!

Evaluate varying sustainable strategies for increasing global food security

I think this queston would be good. Just wondering as it says global food security, would local and national strategies be used? I mean global food security can be achieved through local and national strategies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending