The Student Room Group

Does a dark blue shirt suit a blackish suit?

Sorry if in wrong section,
Just wondering, got an interview soon, and not sure about this, so does a dark blue shirt suit a black suit? or should I just go for a white shirt instead?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Navy and black is a poor combination, the colours merge too badly. It's often considered a faux pas. Navy suit with black shoes is acceptable though.

I recommend a shirt in white or light blue, possibly with vertical stripes. That's good interview clothes.
Reply 2
Original post by Harrifer
Navy and black is a poor combination, the colours merge too badly. It's often considered a faux pas. Navy suit with black shoes is acceptable though.

I recommend a shirt in white or light blue, possibly with vertical stripes. That's good interview clothes.

Thanks for the quick reply, just one more thing, would that combination work for a prom or something though or just in general no?
Reply 3
Original post by ramo55
Thanks for the quick reply, just one more thing, would that combination work for a prom or something though or just in general no?

TBH A prom will all be teenagers, so just wearing a suit will set you apart.

A black suit is good for a prom, or any other evening event, but the trouble with navy is that it merges into black quite badly, there's no contrast.

I would get yourself down to H&M and get one of their grey slim fit shirts. They always have them, the one with two seams running the length of the back, priced around £10, or probably more by now. Match that with a tie the same shade as the suit (it will have to be a skinny tie to fit the H&M collar).

You'll look the bees knees with the above combo, and with the non-traditional shirt colour, your black tie choice will not make you look like a funeral-goer.

Although for the interview, stick to white or sky blue shirts, and non-black, non-skinny ties. Depends on the job really, but the bigger the job, the bigger the **** you give.
Original post by ramo55
Sorry if in wrong section,
Just wondering, got an interview soon, and not sure about this, so does a dark blue shirt suit a black suit? or should I just go for a white shirt instead?

Thanks.

don't listen to the guy above. style is a matter of opinion, but some people's opinions are more equal than others - you catch my drift? :wink:

navy + black is a great combination, especially with autumnal undertones; try an olive green tie and perhaps, if you're daring, some burnt umber tassel loafers (i believe Valentino has a fabulous pair that is so ss14 it's unreal)!

hope I helped, genuinely~
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest