The Student Room Group

Which dog breeds would you recommend?

My family is very keen on getting a dog, but we aren't entirely set on a breed just yet.

We've had a Springer Spaniel before but we'd rather avoid dogs that are very hyperactive. So we have a preference for calm, loving dogs which are medium or large in size.

Any ideas? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'd recommend a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Fairly small without being an accessory (if you get my drift), exceptionally loving and loyal without being aggressive, good with children and nowhere near as hyperactive as Springers can be :smile:
Reply 2
I know someone with a Labrador and he is really calm and peaceful and likes to cuddle. But then again I suppose a dog is how you raise it. I have a westie and wouldn't recommend as they are mental :tongue: have a look on some breeds websites and pick a dog with a temperament that is right for you. I think they have several quiz type things that tell you which breed you should get. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Airedales are lovely but a bit bigger than spaniels. They can be completely crazy at first but settle down to become very loyal, protective pets, although possibly a bit too intelligent for their own good and very stubborn!
Reply 4
Original post by Cybele
My family is very keen on getting a dog, but we aren't entirely set on a breed just yet.

We've had a Springer Spaniel before but we'd rather avoid dogs that are very hyperactive. So we have a preference for calm, loving dogs which are medium or large in size.

Retriever, Labrador or a mix of these 2. So beautiful and loving.
Original post by LeJennifleur
I'd recommend a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Fairly small without being an accessory (if you get my drift), exceptionally loving and loyal without being aggressive, good with children and nowhere near as hyperactive as Springers can be :smile:

Agreed! I have 6 and they're the perfect family dog :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
If you're looking to adopt, a Staffie is a really good family-friendly breed and in some areas make up 50% or more of dogs in homes, because some idiotic chavs got the idea they'd make a good "status" dog. Wouldn't recommend getting as a puppy unless you really trust the breeder for this reason, but if you can take on a rehomer, they're a lovely breed.
Otherwise I love labs. :biggrin: They can be a bit hit and miss for personality - all very friendly, very loyal, but some are (much) crazier than others. Also need to be careful how you feed and exercise them because they put on weight very easily. My choccie lab was 55kg when we got him, and is now healthy at 35kg, but still a pretty big lad (he's taller and broader than a lot of labs).

German shepherds are also wonderful, but again can be a bit crazy. They also have more "pedigree" health issues than I'm aware of with other breeds, but that might be because I've looked into them more!

And setters are absolutely gorgeous and lovely, lovely dogs, but because of how I've seen them in other people's families, I couldn't bear to get only one and I'd have to have 2!
Original post by Lucy96
Agreed! I have 6 and they're the perfect family dog :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

SIX?! Wow, I'm jealous :tongue:
I have a boxer mastiff x and she is the perfect dog. Such a calm, friendly temperament but still willing to play etc. so not boring.
Reply 10
Thanks everyone!

Original post by furryface12
Airedales are lovely but a bit bigger than spaniels. They can be completely crazy at first but settle down to become very loyal, protective pets, although possibly a bit too intelligent for their own good and very stubborn!

I love these dogs. :love:
Original post by Cybele
Thanks everyone!

I love these dogs. :love:

Mine's just like a giant, furry teddy-bear :3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
There's 1000's of Staffordshire Bull terriers in rescue needing a home and they do make excellent family pets. Also a lot of rescues have puppies, you just have to phone them and ask as they don't tend to advertise them on their websites.

I have a Boxer x Staffie.
Reply 13
You should definitely consider something like a staffy - particularly if you're willing to rehome! Sanctuaries are bursting with perfect staffies, you should have a look and meet a few in your area if you can.

As others have mentioned, labs are an easy bet for what you're looking for. I would not recommend a gsd or anything similar - with any dog, especially if you are getting it as a puppy, you are going to have that hyperactive puppy stage, however in some breeds this can really linger for a year or even two. GSDs are such a dog; unless you really have the energy, patience and great force-free training regime to take them through those hyperactive stages, don't consider one. Neither would I suggest anything like a pointer or rotti, or other large breeds with big personalities.

You could consider a sprocker - springer cocker spaniel?

Aside from staffies and labs, have you considered a greyhound? They are brilliant dogs, really great and intelligent - and contrary to what so many people believe, they are not that energetic, they are simply extremely fast and will need an outlet for that speed. But around the house, they will be the perfect dog for lazy owners, and with good training won't be overly hyper in the house. They are large, but they don't take up much space in a house, somehow. Italian greyhounds, whippets, even a lurcher, for similar breeds (any sighthound P:smile:.

Overall one of the best things you can still do is check the sanctuaries in your area. Your perfect dog could be there for you already, it really is a possibility, as naff as it may sound.
(edited 10 years ago)
Having had a Springer, I know exactly what you mean.

The best dog - in so many ways - I ever knew was a Labrador.
Reply 15
Get a Sprocker Spaniel, my dog is one :smile:

He has his hyper moments when you first come home, but it's only because he wants a stroke then calms right down.

He's a Cocker/Springer cross, the best of both worlds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LeJennifleur

Or cross one with a Bichon Frise & get what I have in my profile pic :biggrin: epic cuteness!
Original post by Cybele

A cockerpoo (cocker spanial x poodle) woild be great. Mine's so laid back its lovely! Also, even as a puppy she was never hyperactive or jumpy, she'd come say hey, have a play then go for a nap :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
I think Labrador Retriever
Reply 19
For a family-friendly dog id recommend a Labradors. But for a protective alpha-male pack leader kind of dog id recommend a German Shepard

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest