The Student Room Group

A2 SCLY4 Crime and Deviance Sociology Exam June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by mollyx
Thank you that was helpful! The thing struggling with the most is criticisms/ usefulness

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, here's some criticisms of the theories I mentioned. New Right Realists advocate using situational crime prevention (things like CCTV, gated communities, burglar alarms etc.) in order to deter crime. however, the problem with this is that it only really deters opportunist criminals-no criminal who is really good at their job is going to have too much trouble bypassing these measures. Also, a criticism of New Left Realists is that they don't address the structural problems in society which caused these problems in the first place (something that is true of all the consensus theories). So for example, a teenage gang member living in poverty may go to a club of some sort and enjoy it very much, but when he leaves he is confronted with the fact that he is still really poor-going to a club hasn't changed that. A criticism of Postmodernists is that, by dismissing the role of grand narratives, they are failing to pick up on trends and patterns which others have picked up on. Do you need any help with subcultural theories?
Reply 181
Original post by scjman
Well, here's some criticisms of the theories I mentioned. New Right Realists advocate using situational crime prevention (things like CCTV, gated communities, burglar alarms etc.) in order to deter crime. however, the problem with this is that it only really deters opportunist criminals-no criminal who is really good at their job is going to have too much trouble bypassing these measures. Also, a criticism of New Left Realists is that they don't address the structural problems in society which caused these problems in the first place (something that is true of all the consensus theories). So for example, a teenage gang member living in poverty may go to a club of some sort and enjoy it very much, but when he leaves he is confronted with the fact that he is still really poor-going to a club hasn't changed that. A criticism of Postmodernists is that, by dismissing the role of grand narratives, they are failing to pick up on trends and patterns which others have picked up on. Do you need any help with subcultural theories?

Thank you so much!
No I'm fine with subculturak theories but really struggling with sociology and science and value free sociology!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys does anyone have any essay tips/exam technique for those dreaded 21 markers?
Original post by College_Dropout
Ive got my C&D booklet thing from last year if anyone wants it

Yes pleaseee :smile:
Hi guys! I'm struggling and I'm really behind :/ does anyone have notes on realists? Would be much appreciated and will give ya a positive rep! Also any essays so I know how to structure mine :redface: I'm struggling with AO2! :frown:
Original post by Wizkidani
Yes pleaseee :smile:

Inboxed :smile:

I'd like it aswell pleasee :smile:

Could I have it please? :smile:
Anyone doing media have over view notes done yet ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 189
Hi guys! I'm struggling and I'm really behind :/ does anyone have notes on realists? Would be much appreciated and will give ya a positive rep! Also any essays so I know how to structure mine :redface: I'm struggling with AO2! :frown:

Well, I posted a couple of essays earlier in the thread if you'd like to look. For the one entitled C+D essay (which was "Assess the use of Marxism in forming an understanding of Crime and Deviance in the wrld today") I got an A. I've been told not to bother with introduction paragraphs for 33 mark essays (I think) and instead to just straight onto the "Argument For" paragraph, then go onto the "Argument Against" paragraph and then end with a conclusion. Also, use examples from real life (the more recent and more topical, the better) to support and/or undermine the view
Reply 190
Here is my document of Key Studies for Science and Suicide. I have one for Crime and Deviance (and for Mass Media if anyone else is doing that) but I'm not going to post it just yet, as I want to make sure that there are no more studies we've looked at that are key studies. Hope it is useful
(edited 10 years ago)

Thank you very much :biggrin: The booklet and the word documents don't work on my laptop for some reason :/

Has it worked for anyone else??
The powerpoints work thank youuu :biggrin:
Original post by scjman
Well, I posted a couple of essays earlier in the thread if you'd like to look. For the one entitled C+D essay (which was "Assess the use of Marxism in forming an understanding of Crime and Deviance in the wrld today") I got an A. I've been told not to bother with introduction paragraphs for 33 mark essays (I think) and instead to just straight onto the "Argument For" paragraph, then go onto the "Argument Against" paragraph and then end with a conclusion. Also, use examples from real life (the more recent and more topical, the better) to support and/or undermine the view

Thank you :smile: So does arguing against count as AO2? (:

The booklet doesn't open and some don't open but some word documents do xD I'll just use the one's that do work! Thanks again ^.^
Reply 194
Tooo much to learn:frown:
Reply 195
Original post by xxvine
Tooo much to learn:frown:

I agree :frown: where are you at with your revision?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 196
Original post by mollyx
I agree :frown: where are you at with your revision?

Posted from TSR Mobile

don't ask....just making few notes, on topic 7 of crime and deviance and time is running out:frown:

what about you
Reply 197
The booklet doesn't open and some don't open but some word documents do xD I'll just use the one's that do work! Thanks again ^.^

I'm afraid I don't know off the top of my head. Has your teacher given you a mark scheme? I think I was for this topic. if not, try looking at the past papers part of this website, finding the appropriate papers and then looking at the mark scheme. They'll probably have it on there somewhere. Sorry i got the wrong quote
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 198
Original post by xxvine
don't ask....just making few notes, on topic 7 of crime and deviance and time is running out:frown:

what about you

Hmm yeah, not enough time! Well I've done the majority of crime and deviance, just got to do a bit more on like state and green crime! Haven't done any of methods but done functionalism on theory section! So much to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 199
does anybody know what sort of questions could come up for Crime and Deviance G673? PREDICTION PLEASE!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending