The Student Room Group

I feel little confuse about choose my major[PS in art]

I plan to be a concept artist and I really want to make computer games in the future, but I can't find this kind of major in some good art collages. I would like to ask some advices about choose my BA major, what's about fine art? [I see there are some companies want artists have traditional art foundation,so maybe I can choose game design in MA?]I really want some help about choose my major,thanx!!!
Original post by Isabella Zou
I plan to be a concept artist and I really want to make computer games in the future, but I can't find this kind of major in some good art collages. I would like to ask some advices about choose my BA major, what's about fine art? [I see there are some companies want artists have traditional art foundation,so maybe I can choose game design in MA?]I really want some help about choose my major,thanx!!!

I don't think there are any Concept art degrees in the UK. I would suggest either Fine Art or Illustration, but probably illustration would be better as this fits the business model of concept art more closely (such as working for clients, an emphasis on digital art). However, if you think you would rather do Fine Art and then an MA in Game Design afterwards I'm sure that would be fine.
Reply 2
Thanks for you advice!!I will also consider about illustration as well[I heard that Camberwell in UAL have a illustration BA major course]
Just one more question, do you know any imformation about what the students do in fine art or illustration,which mean what are they learning about?I can only get very limit imformation from college web sites.
thanx again for your reply and helps.
Original post by HelveticaBold
I don't think there are any Concept art degrees in the UK. I would suggest either Fine Art or Illustration, but probably illustration would be better as this fits the business model of concept art more closely (such as working for clients, an emphasis on digital art). However, if you think you would rather do Fine Art and then an MA in Game Design afterwards I'm sure that would be fine.
Thanks for you advice!!I will also consider about illustration as well[I heard that Camberwell in UAL have a illustration BA major course]
Just one more question, do you know any imformation about what the students do in fine art or illustration,which mean what are they learning about?I can only get very limit imformation from college web sites.
thanx again for your reply and helps.

You're welcome. :smile: Camberwell has a good illustration course. It depends on where you study, but generally Fine Art courses are student led, with a lot of studio time in which you are expected to just work by yourself. The amount of tutor guidance varies, with some only seeing tutors every few weeks to discuss their work, and others receiving briefs they have to work to and see their tutors every few days. The lectures will usually be about Art history, here are some module examples from Edinburgh's Fine Art course:
Sinners, Saints and Seers: Scottish, Irish and English art from 600-900
Modernism in Fragments: Art After 1945
Between Byzantium and China: the Rise of Islamic Art
Meanings of Classicisms

Edinburgh is quite Art History heavy, and this probably isn't what you're looking for if you plan to go into concept art, but most courses put more emphasis on studio practice.

Illustration degrees will probably look at the basic history of design, but definitely focus on developing your style and knowledge of fundamentals such as composition and leaning to draw from memory/imagination (which will be very important for concept art). I'm fairly sure that all illustration degrees set briefs for their students to follow, such as design a book cover for a certain book. Many also aim to give students relevant work experience such as working with external clients to produce work.

I think basically in Fine Art you learn how to make work for yourself, and in Illustration you learn how to make work for other people.
Reply 4
All the imformations you give me are so helpful!!(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧
In A-level we do the work by using photographs but I really wants to draw my imaginations, so may be illustration will more suitable for me.
Thanx again for your kindness.O(∩_∩)O~
Original post by HelveticaBold
You're welcome. :smile: Camberwell has a good illustration course. It depends on where you study, but generally Fine Art courses are student led, with a lot of studio time in which you are expected to just work by yourself. The amount of tutor guidance varies, with some only seeing tutors every few weeks to discuss their work, and others receiving briefs they have to work to and see their tutors every few days. The lectures will usually be about Art history, here are some module examples from Edinburgh's Fine Art course:
Sinners, Saints and Seers: Scottish, Irish and English art from 600-900
Modernism in Fragments: Art After 1945
Between Byzantium and China: the Rise of Islamic Art
Meanings of Classicisms

Edinburgh is quite Art History heavy, and this probably isn't what you're looking for if you plan to go into concept art, but most courses put more emphasis on studio practice.

Illustration degrees will probably look at the basic history of design, but definitely focus on developing your style and knowledge of fundamentals such as composition and leaning to draw from memory/imagination (which will be very important for concept art). I'm fairly sure that all illustration degrees set briefs for their students to follow, such as design a book cover for a certain book. Many also aim to give students relevant work experience such as working with external clients to produce work.

I think basically in Fine Art you learn how to make work for yourself, and in Illustration you learn how to make work for other people.
All the imformations you give me are so helpful!!(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧
In A-level we do the work by using photographs but I really wants to draw my imaginations, so may be illustration will more suitable for me.
Thanx again for your kindness.O(∩_∩)O~

You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest