The Student Room Group

My head girl application

I really want head girl, however I’m currently stressed out with mocks and revision so my writing hasn’t been as good as it should be. In simple terms, my personal statement is due on Friday and im completely panicking. HOW DO I EVEN START IT?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by retroconn
I really want head girl, however I’m currently stressed out with mocks and revision so my writing hasn’t been as good as it should be. In simple terms, my personal statement is due on Friday and im completely panicking. HOW DO I EVEN START IT?

EDIT: Literally ignore me misunderstanding the original post :cool:

Hey what subject are you applying for (and are you thinking of Oxbridge)?

I'm at the end of y13 atm so not a pro but I have some tips:

1. Make a list of all the things you have read/watched/listened to/written/done that are extra-curricular, and put the relevant ones in bold even if they aren't formal clubs or activities.

2. Figure out what your main 3-5 areas of interest are for your subject and try to write your ps in 3-5 sections which link to form a strong argument for your interest in and engagement with the subject.

3. Make bullet points of things you could mention for each of the 3-5 areas. For me, I was applying for linguistics so I wrote about my five biggest areas of interest, computational linguistics, morphology, language acquisition, historical linguistics and sociolinguistics, but they don't need to be such scientifically named specific sub-categories, as long as a reader could easily distinguish what each para was about.

4. Start writing. Your first draft will likely be awful, but I promise you they ALL ARE and your teachers will have seen worse! I would offer to look over it for you, but I won't have time until after your deadline. Happy to post-a-levels though, if you'd like.

I suggest drafting your 3-5 paras separately and aiming to keep each one to about 100 words. You can move activities/books/things across and switch things up between them until you get it right. Unis like to see some development so wherever you can talk about how your interest in one thing led you to another that will probably go down well! You don't have to pretend you've been obsessed with the subject from day one, just explain clearly how and why your interest developed.

5. Paste the 3-5 paras into a document with gaps between them so it looks like 3-5 paras and then think about how you can tie them together to create a clear journey through your ps that reflects your journey of gaining interest in the subject.

6. Reword reword reword until it is polished and eloquent. Be ready to feel like you have to waffle loads to fill the character limit, but then probably end up deleting what feels like loads to cut it down, because the more time you spend on it, the more you will think of to say and link it all up.

Good luck! I'm happy to private message you my ps if you're interested. It's by no means perfect, but it did its job and got me into 4 of my unis (and through to interview at Cambridge).

(Apologies for writing practically longer than an actual ps of tips but hope it helps!)
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2

i'm slightly confused as to what you're asking for after reading the above person's post but i can send you my head girl application letter if you'd like!! i ended up getting the role after an interview so it did something i guess hahah
Reply 3
Original post by TazmeenX
i'm slightly confused as to what you're asking for after reading the above person's post but i can send you my head girl application letter if you'd like!! i ended up getting the role after an interview so it did something i guess hahah

Ah I assumed she was referring to the uni personal statement, and maybe her school used that for head girl applications but it might just be an application with the same name! (This ps fixation is what a year of ucas does to you)
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4

Yes please! I’m applying for the role of head girl at my high school and I’m up against people that take part in so many clubs and I need to have a good application in order to have a chance.
Reply 5
Original post by beaquin
Hey what subject are you applying for (and are you thinking of Oxbridge)?

I'm at the end of y13 atm so not a pro but I have some tips:

1. Make a list of all the things you have read/watched/listened to/written/done that are extra-curricular, and put the relevant ones in bold even if they aren't formal clubs or activities.

2. Figure out what your main 3-5 areas of interest are for your subject and try to write your ps in 3-5 sections which link to form a strong argument for your interest in and engagement with the subject.

3. Make bullet points of things you could mention for each of the 3-5 areas. For me, I was applying for linguistics so I wrote about my five biggest areas of interest, computational linguistics, morphology, language acquisition, historical linguistics and sociolinguistics, but they don't need to be such scientifically named specific sub-categories, as long as a reader could easily distinguish what each para was about.

4. Start writing. Your first draft will likely be awful, but I promise you they ALL ARE and your teachers will have seen worse! I would offer to look over it for you, but I won't have time until after your deadline. Happy to post-a-levels though, if you'd like.

I suggest drafting your 3-5 paras separately and aiming to keep each one to about 100 words. You can move activities/books/things across and switch things up between them until you get it right. Unis like to see some development so wherever you can talk about how your interest in one thing led you to another that will probably go down well! You don't have to pretend you've been obsessed with the subject from day one, just explain clearly how and why your interest developed.

5. Paste the 3-5 paras into a document with gaps between them so it looks like 3-5 paras and then think about how you can tie them together to create a clear journey through your ps that reflects your journey of gaining interest in the subject.

6. Reword reword reword until it is polished and eloquent. Be ready to feel like you have to waffle loads to fill the character limit, but then probably end up deleting what feels like loads to cut it down, because the more time you spend on it, the more you will think of to say and link it all up.

Good luck! I'm happy to private message you my ps if you're interested. It's by no means perfect, but it did its job and got me into 4 of my unis (and through to interview at Cambridge).

(Apologies for writing practically longer than an actual ps of tips but hope it helps!)

Hi! I’m really sorry I must have phrased my question wrong, I’m applying for head girl at my high school.

Good morning. Back in the day, I was in fact head boy at my high school Melior Community Academy in Scunthorpe. The way I got the role was by lying as all good politicians (eg. my heroes Rishi and Big BJ) do. If you don't lie, your application will be SEVERELY outclassed by those who do. Personally I always lied about being a black belt in the martial art spinjitsu, as many people don't even know that this is just from lego ninjago and isn't a certified martial art. I also frequently lie about my grades. I only got 2 passes at GCSE including food tech and dance (which I got a distincshin in) but I still managed to lie my way into the most prestigious sixth form college in Birmingham. Hope you take this advice to heart.

Love, Howard
Reply 7
Original post by Lord Sir Howard
Good morning. Back in the day, I was in fact head boy at my high school Melior Community Academy in Scunthorpe. The way I got the role was by lying as all good politicians (eg. my heroes Rishi and Big BJ) do. If you don't lie, your application will be SEVERELY outclassed by those who do. Personally I always lied about being a black belt in the martial art spinjitsu, as many people don't even know that this is just from lego ninjago and isn't a certified martial art. I also frequently lie about my grades. I only got 2 passes at GCSE including food tech and dance (which I got a distincshin in) but I still managed to lie my way into the most prestigious sixth form college in Birmingham. Hope you take this advice to heart.

Love, Howard

I attended this high school. You were not head boy, I did not see you, I did not even hear your name. Please stop spreading misinformation on this website or I shall report you to the proper authorities.

Good day,

Samir
Original post by samir965
I attended this high school. You were not head boy, I did not see you, I did not even hear your name. Please stop spreading misinformation on this website or I shall report you to the proper authorities.

Good day,

Samir

are you not the kid who was caught taking a dump in the bin behind the bike shed?
Reply 9
Original post by beaquin
Ah I assumed she was referring to the uni personal statement, and maybe her school used that for head girl applications but it might just be an application with the same name! (This ps fixation is what a year of ucas does to you)

yes i was a little confused by this as well but yeah dont worry hahaha congrats on getting an interview at cambridge btw!!
Reply 10
Yes please! I’m applying for the role of head girl at my high school and I’m up against people that take part in so many clubs and I need to have a good application in order to have a chance.

sure! i'll send it over tonight when i have access to my laptop

its about standing out. sure, these people have these clubs and whatnot but you don't have to do clubs to be able to get the role. i mentioned ZERO of my clubs (i don't even do any) and said a couple things that made me stand out. to do the latter, you have to know your opponents really well and lucky for me i did. so i made sure to put something about current affairs and my commitment to community work in my application because i knew that no one else did anything like that. got to talk about it in my interview and then boom! i became head girl

its also really important to link what you have learnt from other activities such as skills, and link them to the role of head girl

however, part of me does think they picked me for marketing purposes (having a poc head girl in a predominantly white private school looks good when advertising the school...) so who knows, maybe my application letter was very terrible but they overlooked it. besides, if you do do a draft, feel free to send it over if you want some pointers

edit: just realised that i can't actually send it over by pm - would you mind just sending over your email address and i'll ping it over as a word doc?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 11

its about standing out. sure, these people have these clubs and whatnot but you don't have to do clubs to be able to get the role. i mentioned ZERO of my clubs (i don't even do any) and said a couple things that made me stand out. to do the latter, you have to know your opponents really well and lucky for me i did. so i made sure to put something about current affairs and my commitment to community work in my application because i knew that no one else did anything like that. got to talk about it in my interview and then boom! i became head girl

its also really important to link what you have learnt from other activities such as skills, and link them to the role of head girl

however, part of me does think they picked me for marketing purposes (having a poc head girl in a predominantly white private school looks good when advertising the school...) so who knows, maybe my application letter was very terrible but they overlooked it. besides, if you do do a draft, feel free to send it over if you want some pointers

edit: just realised that i can't actually send it over by pm - would you mind just sending over your email address and i'll ping it over as a word doc?

Thank you so so much for the advice and sending it over to me! I’ll pm you my email now.
Reply 12
are you not the kid who was caught taking a dump in the bin behind the bike shed?

thats not relevant to the main point here. You are spreading misinformation about a school you never attended.
ChatGPT

Love, Howard

Excellent advice young sir
Original post by samir965
thats not relevant to the main point here. You are spreading misinformation about a school you never attended.

I did attend that school because one time Mr Putney excluded me for putting a camera in the staff toilets in year 8
I did attend that school because one time Mr Putney excluded me for putting a camera in the staff toilets in year 8

Oh yeah! I remember this story in the local paper
Reply 17

Hi can I still do this
Reply 18
Original post by Rizqah
Hi can I still do this
yeah ofc!! pm your email over - i'm assuming you want my head girl application?
Reply 19
yeah ofc!! pm your email over - i'm assuming you want my head girl application?
Yes please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending