The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by geodawson
I will be applying from Australia, so since we don't do any public examinations (except one for mediating final results) will I be asked for my grade transcripts for each term?

Thank you in advance :smile:

Usually the school sends a record of achievement.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Thank you very much :smile:

I shall ask any further questions when I have them!

You are welcome. I shall look forward to further questions from you and others!
Reply 62
Original post by MrsBartlet
Thank you for your reply. She is very focused and I believe she would spend the time gained by dropping her fourth subject on extra reading etc. However, I am still not clear if she would put herself at a disadvantage compared to those taking 4 A2s. Obviously, doing 4 A2s and still getting good grades would demonstrate an ability to cope with a heavy workload whilst working at the highest level.

Hello,

I was wondering how this advice changes for a medical applicant. Does taking a fourth subject to A2 give you an advantage even if the fourth is a non-science subject? I am currently taking biology, chemistry, maths and geography and am unsure whether to drop geography next year. Also, if I dropped geography I might be able to take As French. Would this be viewed in the same way, as regards to coping with a heavy workload or would I just be best to take three and have the extra time for supracuricular such as reading?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ros09
Hello,

I was wondering how this advice changes for a medical applicant. Does taking a fourth subject to A2 give you an advantage even if the fourth is a non-science subject? I am currently taking biology, chemistry, maths and geography and am unsure whether to drop geography next year. Also, if I dropped geography I might be able to take As French. Would this be viewed in the same way, as regards to coping with a heavy workload or would I just be best to take three and have the extra time for supracuricular such as reading?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand that some medicial schools are quite keen on a 'contrasting' fourth A Level. At Cambridge it doesn't do you any harm but it doesn't do you any good either as it isn't counted in the calcaulation of the Science UMS average that helps to determine your position on the Subject Moderation Spreadhseet that compares all applicants across the the university in each subject and ranks them if they are taking A Levels.

What will matter for Cambridge in your case in terms of your A Level performance is your Biology, Chemistry and Maths, beyond that we are agnositic but you have to consider the attitude of other universities other than us.
Reply 64
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Having FM is not a condition for any option in Part IA of Natural Sciences with the partial except of the Physics option for which you need either FM A Level or Physics A Level. You are also strongly recommended to have FM A Level if you choose the Maths B option.

Overall, I would say that the majority of successful NSP applicants do have FM A Level or AS Level. At Christ's I would say the proportion is around 2/3 to 3/4 with FM and I would expect that to be reflected at most colleges.

In general, my advice if you are considering NSP is that if you want to do mainly Chemistry modules then not have FM is not going to be a problem, it is something that we would notice if you do not have it and you want to do mainly Physics options. If you do want to do Physics, then I would encourage you, as much for course preparation as admission, to undertake at least FM AS Level if you can.

Thank you so much for your very thorough and useful response!

I do have a further question though. How would I be able to convey to Cambridge that I intend to focus on Chemistry (which you say would not require FM) and therefore ensure that admissions understand that not taking FM would not be problematic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Dear admissions tutor,
I am wondering if my grades (as detailed below) are too low for it to be worth applying to cambridge. Also which courses would suit my subject combination better than others? I am interested in architecture, design, and also engineering subjects, but do say if my subjects would fit well with something else.

I achieved an IB score of 41/45 in November 2013, after retaking physics, maths and the core elements.

This breaks down as:
HL English 6
HL physics 7
HL visual arts 6

SL Maths 6
SL Psychology 6
SL Spanish ab initio 7

TOK A
Extended essay B
Core 3

(Originally in May 2013 I achieved 31/45 with a 4 in SL maths, a 4 in HL physics and 0 in core)

At GCSE level I achieved 5 A*'s, 2 A's and a B

I hope I don't sound silly writing this, I would really appreciate your opinion,
Many thanks
Brooke
Reply 66
Hi there, you need to choose a particular pathway at admissions but we will not hold you to that on entry. Providing you have the required A Levels or equiavlent any of the options are open to you for Part IA whether you have described yourself at admissions at being NSB or NSP. The purpose of the Natural Sciences is to allow students that flexibility and every college has at least one or two people every year who are admitted as NSP and switch to mostly doing NSB and vice versa.

What difference it will make is at interview. If you choose NSP you will be interviewed usually by physicists and chemists who will test you on physical chemistry. If you apply for NSB you will be interviewed on biology and usually the more biological side of chemistry, though the chemistry content in a NSB or an NSP interview need not be very different. It's up to you, once you have your AS results, to think about which form of interview will suit you best. Closer to application, ask the college/s you are interested in about how best you might be classified if you are still unsure and they will help you.

Thank you very much, that was very helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Hello,

I wish to apply to Cambridge (providing I do well in the summer) for History, but my AS levels are completely split between science and humanities. I take History, Philosophy, Chemistry and Physics, and I plan to drop Chemistry next year.

Does this combination hinder my application?

Thanks for your time,
Bonnie.
Reply 68
I understand that some medicial schools are quite keen on a 'contrasting' fourth A Level. At Cambridge it doesn't do you any harm but it doesn't do you any good either as it isn't counted in the calcaulation of the Science UMS average that helps to determine your position on the Subject Moderation Spreadhseet that compares all applicants across the the university in each subject and ranks them if they are taking A Levels.

What will matter for Cambridge in your case in terms of your A Level performance is your Biology, Chemistry and Maths, beyond that we are agnositic but you have to consider the attitude of other universities other than us.

Hello again,

Thanks for your help. When you say science UMS, do you mean the UMS of all your As science subjects added together?

Thanks again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would 6A*s, 4As and 3Bs at GCSE be enough to apply with?
Reply 70
Hi,

I am a student who would like to read Architecture at Cambridge.
For my AS levels, I am currently studying: Further Maths, Maths, History of Art, Physics and Art.

I would like to ask if the number of subjects that you take at AS level are taken into consideration a lot seeing as Cambridge only take the average ums of the top 3 subjects? Also, I am considering dropping FM for AS this year but what would be the advantages and disadvantages of carrying on with it or not (if the results of the maths modules are taken as one average)?

Thank you for making this extremely useful thread.
What a great thread, thanks!
Hi I want to study economics at Cambridge.

Similar to another post earlier but for a different subject. What outside of school extra activities would you recommend?

Thanks
Thanks for starting this thread.

Do you ever hold phone/skype interviews for overseas applicants? If so, are these applicants at a disadvantage compared to those who go for face-to-face interviews?

Would you say that the number of applicants per place for each course is an accurate way of judging how competitive that course is? Which courses are the most competitive at Cambridge? Which course would you say is usually more competitive, Engineering or Natural Sciences?

When considering science applicants with lower UMS averages, will you be taking into account the number of subjects they took? i.e. will the fact that someone took five science subjects instead of the usual three make up for their having lower-than-average UMS marks?
Original post by ayesha_17
Thank you so much for your very thorough and useful response!

I do have a further question though. How would I be able to convey to Cambridge that I intend to focus on Chemistry (which you say would not require FM) and therefore ensure that admissions understand that not taking FM would not be problematic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are welcome, I am glad it was useful. Different colleges handle Nat Sci interviews in slightly different ways. Some, like Corpus, will ask you to specify your interest and then arrange your interviews accordingly. So, for instance, if you say Chemistry then you will be interviewed by chemists, if you say Physics then you will be interested by physicists. At Christ's we ask for your preference if you have one and if you choose Chemistry you will be interviewed by the same people but there will be more of a Chemistry focus to at least one of the interviews. If you chose Physics, you may also get an additional general mathematical interview. Other colleges will handle it slight differently again and may not ask you to express a preference and you will all get the same sort of interview.

My advice, therefore, is to check with the colleges to which you are interested in applying as to how they handle their Physical Nat Sci interviews. Once you have that information it can help inform your decision about which college you should apply to.
Reply 75
When applying for a PhD, will I automatically be considered for the MSc like Oxford, or do I have to apply for both?
Original post by Brooke!
Dear admissions tutor,
I am wondering if my grades (as detailed below) are too low for it to be worth applying to cambridge. Also which courses would suit my subject combination better than others? I am interested in architecture, design, and also engineering subjects, but do say if my subjects would fit well with something else.

I achieved an IB score of 41/45 in November 2013, after retaking physics, maths and the core elements.

This breaks down as:
HL English 6
HL physics 7
HL visual arts 6

SL Maths 6
SL Psychology 6
SL Spanish ab initio 7

TOK A
Extended essay B
Core 3

(Originally in May 2013 I achieved 31/45 with a 4 in SL maths, a 4 in HL physics and 0 in core)

At GCSE level I achieved 5 A*'s, 2 A's and a B

I hope I don't sound silly writing this, I would really appreciate your opinion,
Many thanks
Brooke

Hi Brooke,

thanks for your question. With 41 points you reach the standard offer of 40-42 points but have not achieved 776 at HL which is also part of the standard offer. The fact that you have achieved this in two sittings is also not in your favour. In general, therefore, I would say that yours is not a hopeless case by any means but that you will not be among the stronger candidates on paper.

In terms of what course you should do, well this is the key question in deciding on Cambridge - do we offer you the right sort of course. Your qualifications would suit architecture quite well as you have HL Physics and SL Maths. You cannot do Engineering at Cambridge, however, without HL in both Physics and Maths.

I am sorry not to be more encouraging but I hope this is helpful in any case.
Original post by osla
Hello,

I wish to apply to Cambridge (providing I do well in the summer) for History, but my AS levels are completely split between science and humanities. I take History, Philosophy, Chemistry and Physics, and I plan to drop Chemistry next year.

Does this combination hinder my application?

Thanks for your time,
Bonnie.

Hi Bonnie

Good to see someone interested in History (I'm a Historian!) and it is no problem at all that your A Levels are split between Arts and Sciences if you are planning to do a Humanities course like History. You have History, which is the most important, and Philosophy and Physics will complement it well.
Original post by Ros09
Hello again,

Thanks for your help. When you say science UMS, do you mean the UMS of all your As science subjects added together?

Thanks again

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, and closest attention is paid to the most relevant subjects (i.e. Biology is regarded as less important for Maths, Engineering or Physical Nat Sci, while Physics is less relvant than the other science for Medicine).
Original post by Elderflower_
Would 6A*s, 4As and 3Bs at GCSE be enough to apply with?

Yes, absolutely. We do not have a minimum GCSE and 6 A*s would be about average for a Cambridge applicant.

Latest

Trending

Trending