The Student Room Group

A levels for medicine HELP!?

I have been offered a place at a high ranking sixth form in my area. But, when I applied I decided to choose biology,chemistry,french, and economics. No maths or physics :frown:. I cant change these subjects either! Should accept the offer and risk being at a disadvantage for not studying maths or physics?
Reply 1
I think most medical schools would still consider you as long as you carried both the sciences on to A2 level. I know someone who applied this year to medicine having taken Biology, Chemistry, Religious Studies and History.
Most sixth forms let you change your options. I applied at grammar schools and when my conditional offers came, they had a section that wanted you to state your options again.
Couldn't you email the head of the sixth form and politely ask if it's possible? I'm sure it won't hurt.
Reply 3
Original post by alice691995
I think most medical schools would still consider you as long as you carried both the sciences on to A2 level. I know someone who applied this year to medicine having taken Biology, Chemistry, Religious Studies and History.

I've heard only biology + chemistry is required, but I have a feeling medical schools will prefer physics or maths over French :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by MovesLikeAgger
Most sixth forms let you change your options. I applied at grammar schools and when my conditional offers came, they had a section that wanted you to state your options again.
Couldn't you email the head of the sixth form and politely ask if it's possible? I'm sure it won't hurt.

That's true, in fact I've just written a letter to him now, hopefully I'll scrape it into physics lol
Reply 5
Original post by RK100
I've heard only biology + chemistry is required, but I have a feeling medical schools will prefer physics or maths over French :frown:

They don't. Your current choices are fine!
Lots of advice about Applying for Medicine here, including entry requirements/subjects for each Medical School - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine
Reply 7
Those choices are fine - in fact Kings I think in London specify they like a modern language - so your French is good. As long as you have Biology and Chemistry you will be fine
Reply 8
Original post by RK100

most places are far more interested in other parts of your application than what a-levels you've studied. once you've got the required subjects, it matters very little.
I've chosen Biology, Chemistry , Geography and Music and my careers teacher thinks it's fine. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest