The Student Room Group

Newcastle medicine A100 offer holders thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by bronwyn1995
i think i want to go catered for the first year just until i get settled in and if I've had a long day of lectures i don't really want to come home and cook, therefore the only one I'm really looking at is Castle Leazes

Yeah, I agree about the cooking - even as a cooking 'enthusiast'.

I'm leaning towards Park Terrace - I'm quite intrigued by the 'additional food package' and I emailed the accommodation team today asking for more info. I'm presuming it'll be some partnership with the 'Eat @ Newcastle' places... I still don't feel like I'm ready to independently healthily feed myself for an entire semester :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Charlston
Oh ugggh my interview was the 18th and it was also one of the exam dates so there was no tour. Do you happen to know if the set up of Castle Leazes is dorm style or apartment/flat style? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think from what I remember of the open day, its basically like a big circle thats split up into sections, so its kind of like a flat set-up as there will be a few rooms to a section of corridor and they will all share the same kitchen and bathrooms and then there is a fire door to split it up from the next stretch of corridor or 'flat' so to speak.
Reply 42
Original post by bronwyn1995
I also want an en-suite however for me its definitely food>bathroom haha, and I remember when I had my interview all of the medical students who took us on the tour lived in Castle Leazes and from what they said it was popular with medics and it was really social.

Haha yeah I can't decide if I want an en suite or food. It would be so nice to shower for as long as I want but it'd also be so great to go for food together with everyone haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by daisyhowes
From what I can tell Park Terrace and Turner Court, then Kensington Terrace but that's postgrad only. Does anyone know how many preferences we have to put down?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you applying already?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by Bagelthins
Are you applying already?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No just out of interest haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daisyhowes
From what I can tell Park Terrace and Turner Court, then Kensington Terrace but that's postgrad only. Does anyone know how many preferences we have to put down?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think we have to put down between 6 and 10

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Offer open day whoop whoop!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there a Facebook group for offer holders??
Reply 48
Original post by Medicine Boy
Is there a Facebook group for offer holders??

Reply 49
What happens on the open day? Is tours of buildings/halls again?
Reply 50
Has anyone been asked to provide an enhanced disclosure? Will they send us one or do we have to send them the filled out form?
Reply 51
Original post by lmccormick
Has anyone been asked to provide an enhanced disclosure? Will they send us one or do we have to send them the filled out form?

Is that like the DBS and Occupational Health stuff or something completely different?

Not yet, they should send us a link and a special code thing to fill out the form online, as you can't get one done as an individual, an organisation has to request it for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Original post by Don Jesu
Is that like the DBS and Occupational Health stuff or something completely different?

They're not the same thing, but pretty similar :-)

Your Enhanced DBS Check will let the university check whether you have any criminal convictions/ are registered on any offenders register. This is done with most people working with vulnerable people (I'm a scout leader for example and it's just standard).

Your occupational health form checks your fitness for 'work' (checking for vaccines and other standard stuff you'd expect to have when studying as a medic). (I think this is what it is, anyway).

I'm not sure how they go about getting details from us though... whether they'll use the details they already hold from the application process or whether they'll contact us separately, I'm not sure. It's all an automated process ran by them though, you'll get a copy of your forms out of the blue and then they'll contact you if there is anything odd on either on them.

Hope this helps :-) neither are usually anything to worry about though :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Hi guys! :smile:
When do we apply for accommodation, does anyone know? Don't want to be late to the party :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by fletchjack
They're not the same thing, but pretty similar :-)

Your Enhanced DBS Check will let the university check whether you have any criminal convictions/ are registered on any offenders register. This is done with most people working with vulnerable people (I'm a scout leader for example and it's just standard).

Your occupational health form checks your fitness for 'work' (checking for vaccines and other standard stuff you'd expect to have when studying as a medic). (I think this is what it is, anyway).

I'm not sure how they go about getting details from us though... whether they'll use the details they already hold from the application process or whether they'll contact us separately, I'm not sure. It's all an automated process ran by them though, you'll get a copy of your forms out of the blue and then they'll contact you if there is anything odd on either on them.

Hope this helps :-) neither are usually anything to worry about though :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have just reread your post and my post is completely irrelevant to what you said/ asked. Apologies. I feel a tad daft now... ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
what halls are close to the med school? i like the look of castle court but it is on the main campus and google maps is telling me that its a 56min walk to the med school! haha
Reply 57
Original post by Yolo_kevin
Not yet, they should send us a link and a special code thing to fill out the form online, as you can't get one done as an individual, an organisation has to request it for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

See that was the conditions of my offer but maybe thats because I have already achieved my A-levels so they dont want to give me an unconditional without checking me out first lol
See that was the conditions of my offer but maybe thats because I have already achieved my A-levels so they dont want to give me an unconditional without checking me out first lol

Same with me! Just gotta wait I guess and fill it out as soon as they send it :smile: lol when I saw condition I was all "what you playing at Newcastle" but then read it and was like "that's fine, I'm pretty sure I'm not a criminal" haha, I just want to get it done early so that hopefully I can get accommodation allocated early!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
what halls are close to the med school? i like the look of castle court but it is on the main campus and google maps is telling me that its a 56min walk to the med school! haha

I think you should use the maps on Newcastle's website, they're much more accurate. From what I can see, Castle Court isn't that far away at all but apparently you have to walk through a field with cows to get to the school. :smile:
Perhaps practice some cow-tipping as stress relief on your way back after school? :wink: haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending