The Student Room Group

Oxbridge application help

Hi guys,
Let me tell you about my self before I begin. I am in year 12, I am currently studying maths, chemistry, biology and psychology. I am hoping to get 4 A with high ums, hopefully above 90. My gcses are shown below.

GCSEs: 6 A* (business studies, Religious studies, maths, core science, additional science,ICT) 2 A (English lit, geography) 2 B ( Arabic, English language)

My goal is to study biochem at oxford or natural sciences at Cambridge. What I would like to know is that are my gcses grades good enough for oxford and Cambridge. I'm really worried that the b in English language is going to hold me back however I only received a B because I was Ill on the day of the exam and got a C on it. My coursework was A* so it balanced out at a B. I would just like to get your opinion on this matter. Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Although I'm not well versed in the Oxbridge admissions process I did find this link online which you may like to look at. The quotes text below is from that page and by the sounds of it you needn't worry about your GCSEs - although they are extremely good anyway.

[h="4"]GCSEs

With the exception of those for
Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (grade C or above in GCSE Double Award Science and Mathematics), there are no GCSE requirements for entry to Cambridge, and there is no minimum number of A* grades required for any of our courses.[/h]
Reply 2
Original post by therealdeal1
Hi guys,
Let me tell you about my self before I begin. I am in year 12, I am currently studying maths, chemistry, biology and psychology. I am hoping to get 4 A with high ums, hopefully above 90. My gcses are shown below.

GCSEs: 6 A* (business studies, Religious studies, maths, core science, additional science,ICT) 2 A (English lit, geography) 2 B ( Arabic, English language)

My goal is to study biochem at oxford or natural sciences at Cambridge. What I would like to know is that are my gcses grades good enough for oxford and Cambridge. I'm really worried that the b in English language is going to hold me back however I only received a B because I was Ill on the day of the exam and got a C on it. My coursework was A* so it balanced out at a B. I would just like to get your opinion on this matter. Thanks

The other poster is correct :smile:
I believe 5 A* at GCSE is common for Cambridge applicants, but not necessary. I only have 2 A* GCSEs; a C in maths and a D in additional science, and I got in to Cambridge. Granted I'm not going for a sciencey course, but it's still Cambridge.
Reply 3
I got a NatSci offer with only 5 A*s, 2 As and a B. It being in English won't look great but your AS UMS will be far more important.
Reply 4
Original post by alow
I got a NatSci offer with only 5 A*s, 2 As and a B. It being in English won't look great but your AS UMS will be far more important.

if you wouldnt mind me asking what was your AS subjects, what was your ums for it, could you clarify which subjects you got your results for at GCSE so what was your B in. oh btw do you have any extra curricular advice or any advice in general?
much appreciated :-)
Reply 5
Original post by Jamerson
The other poster is correct :smile:
I believe 5 A* at GCSE is common for Cambridge applicants, but not necessary. I only have 2 A* GCSEs; a C in maths and a D in additional science, and I got in to Cambridge. Granted I'm not going for a sciencey course, but it's still Cambridge.

What course are you doing? and what was your UMS for your AS? do you have any advice you could pass on about applying to cambridge? thanks :-)
Reply 6
if you wouldnt mind me asking what was your AS subjects, what was your ums for it, could you clarify which subjects you got your results for at GCSE so what was your B in. oh btw do you have any extra curricular advice or any advice in general?
much appreciated :-)

I applied on my gap year, A*A*A*A in Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Biology (93% UMS over top 3, but obv. that includes A2 modules), predicted another A* in Further Maths which I'm taking this year. I also got a D in A2 General Studies, so don't worry about getting a good grade in that if you're forced to take it.

A*s - Chemistry, Maths, Physics, Eng. Lit., Eng. Lang.
As - Religious Studies, Biology
B - Geography

Unless it's related to NatSci Cambridge/Oxford won't care about any ECs, it's all about academics. Probably the best bit of advice I can give is to prepare for your interview well, read around the A Level specifications of the subjects you're doing and make sure you're comfortable with graph sketching (particularly exponentials and logs), rearranging equations and DEs as you may get a chemistry interview where they can ask you about this. If you get 90%+ UMS you're pretty much guaranteed an interview at Cambridge. Your GCSEs are probably a little on the low side for Oxford.
Reply 7
Original post by alow
I applied on my gap year, A*A*A*A in Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Biology (93% UMS over top 3, but obv. that includes A2 modules), predicted another A* in Further Maths which I'm taking this year. I also got a D in A2 General Studies, so don't worry about getting a good grade in that if you're forced to take it.

A*s - Chemistry, Maths, Physics, Eng. Lit., Eng. Lang.
As - Religious Studies, Biology
B - Geography

Unless it's related to NatSci Cambridge/Oxford won't care about any ECs, it's all about academics. Probably the best bit of advice I can give is to prepare for your interview well, read around the A Level specifications of the subjects you're doing and make sure you're comfortable with graph sketching (particularly exponentials and logs), rearranging equations and DEs as you may get a chemistry interview where they can ask you about this. If you get 90%+ UMS you're pretty much guaranteed an interview at Cambridge. Your GCSEs are probably a little on the low side for Oxford.

Do you think that taking on 4 A-levels gave you an advantage over others?
Reply 8

Teachnically I'll have done 6 :wink:

But seriously, yes. It shows that you can keep up with a higher workload and because I did all 3 sciences and maths I'm not restricted to certain subject choices for the first year.
Reply 9
Hi guys,

I agree with alow. Oxford and Cambridge look at different things - Oxford pays more attention to GCSEs (looking at figures, the average seems about 8 A*s at GCSE) so you'd have to do better at interview. Cambridge pay much more attention to AS - hence they ask for your UMS grades.

With your grades and expectations you'd probably be better placed applying to Cambridge, purely on stats. But if you prefer the course at Oxford then go for that too! 6 A*s is not very below the average for offer holders, I've heard of people having 2. You definitely have as much chance as most. Good luck!
Reply 10

Neither university suggests doing 4 is necessary or a good thing, and there is no evidence that you gain an advantage by doing 4.

At the end of the day, many schools only allow you to do 3, so it would be a very exclusive policy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending