The Student Room Group

Job not working out

So around a year ago I took a job that required me to move a considerable distance from home and my friends. Not something I'm unaccustomed to after Uni, but a wholly different experience!

I'm now coming up to a year, and frankly it's not working out. The job is dull, and socially I'm pretty much in the same situation I was when I started unbelievably - I work with some very unsociable people, so my time at work is miserable, and I have no friends here outside of work despite doing regular sports sessions. It's bizarre, and to be honest, it's getting me down.

At this point, I'm wondering where is best to draw a line and say enough is enough. I'm looking for work, but I can't stay in this rut of loneliness forever - my parents have kindly offered to let me move back home once I make it to the year (a year's work looks better on the ol' CV imo), so that offer is on the table...

Thoughts? Anyone been through similar? I'm not one to quit easily, but I made the mistake of seeing something bad through once before!
Reply 1
Original post by SimplePlan2k8
So around a year ago I took a job that required me to move a considerable distance from home and my friends. Not something I'm unaccustomed to after Uni, but a wholly different experience!

I'm now coming up to a year, and frankly it's not working out. The job is dull, and socially I'm pretty much in the same situation I was when I started unbelievably - I work with some very unsociable people, so my time at work is miserable, and I have no friends here outside of work despite doing regular sports sessions. It's bizarre, and to be honest, it's getting me down.

At this point, I'm wondering where is best to draw a line and say enough is enough. I'm looking for work, but I can't stay in this rut of loneliness forever - my parents have kindly offered to let me move back home once I make it to the year (a year's work looks better on the ol' CV imo), so that offer is on the table...

Thoughts? Anyone been through similar? I'm not one to quit easily, but I made the mistake of seeing something bad through once before!

Don't quit until you have another job to go to. But it sounds like you need to leave definitely.
Reply 2
I am on the same boat with you.
My current job is far away from my friends. Not wanting to feel like I am isolated in the middle of no where, I stay close to my friends and commute everyday to work. It makes me happier, but the 5hr commute a day is long and expansive.

Do not quit your job before having another one lined up. If the daily commute is within reasonable distance and not too expansive, I would suggest you to move back home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I've given myself a rough deadline to simply quit (as there's only so much pain I'm willing to put myself through), but hoping it won't come to that :smile:

My commute from my actual hometown would be around 6hrs round trip, so definitely not haha

I still can't decide whether it's smart to move back to my hometown or not. I love being away from home and being in a new place, but equally the familiarity (and friends already living there) is a big draw. I dunno, seems like something of a backwards step to go back you know?
Reply 4
If you would rather live in your hometown than where you are now, you might as well move back. You don't have to stay at home for the rest of your life. Don't quit without something else lined up - the job market isn't exactly buoyant right now, and you won't be eligible for JSA for 12 weeks if you resign.
Reply 5
It is normal to feel that you want to be close to your friends. 6hr round trip a day is doable, if you get on a direct train that is more than an hr, as part of your journey. You can do a lot on a long train journey, i. e. Sleeping, reading and watching TV. Someone I know is living in Devon and commuting 6hr round trip a day to London for work.

But it is not wise to quit your job without another lined up.
Reply 6
6hr round trip is insane, you'd literally be travelling all the time!!

Well I'm hunting for work, albeit unsuccessfully so far. Feeling pretty down about it all tbh. Feel like it took such a big step to make the move in the first place, and now I'm working to undo all that effort :/ What a mess!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending