The Student Room Group

Fired form grad job...help

I really need some advice im panicking and dont know what to do, i graduated last year from university and started my grad scheme in septepmber. I was recently let go dont know where to go from here, im struggling to find a job i feel so depressed
Original post by Slskzhsjahzhshs
I really need some advice im panicking and dont know what to do, i graduated last year from university and started my grad scheme in septepmber. I was recently let go dont know where to go from here, im struggling to find a job i feel so depressed

Hi there :hugs:
It's all going to be okay, you've had some experience and so it should be a little easier to get future roles.

I shared my story here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=98717327&postcount=9 if you want any further advice on grad roles in a specific sector, check out the rest of the careers and jobs support forum on :tsr2: :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)

Not enough info here to really help much. What degree, what work, why let go, did you negotiate a reference or will failings be mentioned??? Are you looking for work in the same sector, a different sector, at what stage are you getting rejected???
Original post by threeportdrift
Not enough info here to really help much. What degree, what work, why let go, did you negotiate a reference or will failings be mentioned??? Are you looking for work in the same sector, a different sector, at what stage are you getting rejected???

Sorry, I wrote this in a panic. I studied mathematics, went to work as an analyst in mid-market M&A and was told I'm being let go due to performance concerns. I wasn't given a PIP option, just a severance package. I will be given a neutral reference just confirming dates of employment and position held - failings will not be mentioned & I cannot disclose to anyone in the company that I have been let go, have to pretend that I'm resigning. I'm looking for work in the same sector but it's proving difficult as I have less than a years experience, open to different sectors given the market. I've been applying and tbh getting rejected at the initial stages - CV for some, and for some initial interview. I am finding interviews difficult as being let go really knocked my self confidence
Sorry, I wrote this in a panic. I studied mathematics, went to work as an analyst in mid-market M&A and was told I'm being let go due to performance concerns. I wasn't given a PIP option, just a severance package. I will be given a neutral reference just confirming dates of employment and position held - failings will not be mentioned & I cannot disclose to anyone in the company that I have been let go, have to pretend that I'm resigning. I'm looking for work in the same sector but it's proving difficult as I have less than a years experience, open to different sectors given the market. I've been applying and tbh getting rejected at the initial stages - CV for some, and for some initial interview. I am finding interviews difficult as being let go really knocked my self confidence

Ok, so you received a settlement with a non-disclosure agreement, which is great. Really, it's the best way to go, and it is not getting fired or let go. You need to get your head into the space where you resigned. Just think of a credible reason that doesn't apportion blame to the company and that is your story - don't deviate from it. Best reason is that the bus/train times changed and became unworkable. Alt your rent rose massively and you could make the numbers fit - but that only works for jobs that are paying more. Work out your story, and stick to it with everyone. It's actually quite a common reason for leaving a job.

Having said that, you have to do a self-audit. You get nowhere by denying the problem and blaming the employer, if that's where you are going. The facts are they they didn't think you were worth investing more time in and they were prepared to pay you to leave, so something was badly amiss with what they wanted and what you delivered. You have to appraise what that means to you and your workplace strengths and talents and adjust your target accordingly. Do you need something that is less Excel-based, less presentation based, smaller working teams, slower tempo, fewer simultaneous projects?

So all you are really is back in the position you were in at graduation. You have a little experience, a maths degree, and more self-knowledge of your working style - that's not a bad position at all. Refocus your job search, be methodical, use your Uni careers service, and expect it to take at least 6 months.
Original post by threeportdrift
Ok, so you received a settlement with a non-disclosure agreement, which is great. Really, it's the best way to go, and it is not getting fired or let go. You need to get your head into the space where you resigned. Just think of a credible reason that doesn't apportion blame to the company and that is your story - don't deviate from it. Best reason is that the bus/train times changed and became unworkable. Alt your rent rose massively and you could make the numbers fit - but that only works for jobs that are paying more. Work out your story, and stick to it with everyone. It's actually quite a common reason for leaving a job.

Having said that, you have to do a self-audit. You get nowhere by denying the problem and blaming the employer, if that's where you are going. The facts are they they didn't think you were worth investing more time in and they were prepared to pay you to leave, so something was badly amiss with what they wanted and what you delivered. You have to appraise what that means to you and your workplace strengths and talents and adjust your target accordingly. Do you need something that is less Excel-based, less presentation based, smaller working teams, slower tempo, fewer simultaneous projects?

So all you are really is back in the position you were in at graduation. You have a little experience, a maths degree, and more self-knowledge of your working style - that's not a bad position at all. Refocus your job search, be methodical, use your Uni careers service, and expect it to take at least 6 months.

I have tried to figure out what went wrong but I just don't understand, my end of year review I was told I was performing as expected and that they had no concerns. I was given a promotion, then a couple weeks later hit with a dismissal due to performance. To be honest, I enjoyed the work but less so the team I was in. I felt a little out of place and so going forward I'm looking for roles where the teams are more diverse and also based in a larger city (personal preference). I'm stuck with my job search, do I just go for graduate roles again and accept being out of work for almost a year?
I have tried to figure out what went wrong but I just don't understand, my end of year review I was told I was performing as expected and that they had no concerns. I was given a promotion, then a couple weeks later hit with a dismissal due to performance. To be honest, I enjoyed the work but less so the team I was in. I felt a little out of place and so going forward I'm looking for roles where the teams are more diverse and also based in a larger city (personal preference). I'm stuck with my job search, do I just go for graduate roles again and accept being out of work for almost a year?

No, search for jobs by job title, or if the filtering on the website allows, salary and area of work. Apply for anything that you think you can do. There's nothing magical about having the work 'graduate' in the job title, expect you are likely to be in a more generic HR/management/training process in a large organisation.

Be more honest with yourself on what went on at work. They would have had conversations, the final conversation would have said what the performance issue was, and even if you didn't notice at the time, you should be able to go back and reappraise situations which led to their decision. If you don't work out what it was, you risk the issue repeating itself. Two moves like this is much, much more difficult to recover from than one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending