The Student Room Group

Cost of driving

Hi, I want to know how much it would cost me in fuel to drive around 40-50 miles per week in a car such as a ford ka/ Vauxhall corsa/ Fiat Punto.

Thanks!
Reply 1
it obviously depends where you drive i.e motorways or urban areas. For urban, i'd say you should get around 300-320 miles in a full tank which would cost lets say 50 quid. so 50 miles would cost lets say around £6-7. Of course this is a very rough approximation so hopefully you have some idea :smile:
Reply 2
Not a lot

£10 or so
£10-15
40 miles a week? friggin hell, why bother getting a car?

I drive 40 miles in about half an hour, about 370 miles aweek
Reply 5
Original post by CE_PAYNE
Hi, I want to know how much it would cost me in fuel to drive around 40-50 miles per week in a car such as a ford ka/ Vauxhall corsa/ Fiat Punto.

Thanks!

Just under £10 if on motorway and constant 60mph.

Thanks!

Dont get a fiat punto.
Actually dont get a ka either.
Reply 7
Original post by Nota Happy bunny
40 miles a week? friggin hell, why bother

To drive to school haha, I just want some independance and responsibility in running a car before going to uni next year
Reply 8
Original post by Emma:-)
Dont get a fiat punto.
Actually dont get a ka either.

What's wrong with them?
To drive to school haha, I just want some independance and responsibility in running a car before going to uni next year

friggin hell, 40 miles a week, you peasent, lol

I just drove this morning to Warrington to collect a parcel, (62 miles) then the gym and back ( 4 miles) then shopping ( 2 miles) then southport ( 19 miles return) and here and there so about 90 miles today and that is an average day. I drove 170 miles on Tuesday going the lakes and back for a day out, so 40 miles a week is absolutely **** all, honestly

I drive a 1.6 astra
Reply 10
Original post by Nota Happy bunny
friggin hell, 40 miles a week, you peasent, lol

I just drove this morning to Warrington to collect a parcel, (62 miles) then the gym and back ( 4 miles) then shopping ( 2 miles) then southport ( 19 miles return) and here and there so about 90 miles today and that is an average day. I drove 170 miles on Tuesday going the lakes and back for a day out, so 40 miles a week is absolutely **** all, honestly

I drive a 1.6 astra

If it's what I want to do it's what I want to do, i'm only 17 and 40 miles would be a minimum, that's without considering other trips.

Besides you're probably a lot older than me so can afford to travel those distances, whereas I don't have the time to travel such distances, due to being in school 6 hours a day. 'Peasant', lol
What's wrong with them?

I had a fiat punto. Never again. Fiats (older ones mainly) can be mega unreliable. I only had mine for 6 months and had to get rid of it because id had that many problems with it. And it wasnt just smaller or common things that could be sorted by my dad (who services my cars). It was always big things, half of them electrical. And im not the only one to have had a lot of problems with them. Thats why fiats get the name Fix It Again Tomorrow.
Then theres Ka's. They can also be a bit on the unreliable side, though luckily not as bad. The main problem with them is rot. I know most cars start to rust as they get older. But ka's dont just rust, they rot big time. They are well known for it. And with ka's there isnt anything you can do about it. For example round the petrol filler cap, they rot from the inside out. And even newer ones rot, so its not just when they get older it happens. When i brought my last car, my dad got talking to the bloke who runs the garage (the owner) as he sold us the car and he says he wont have ka's at his garage and he wont touch them with a bargepole. And thats coming from someone who has owned a car garage for 20 years.
Reply 12
Thank you for the advice emma, so what cars would you recommend for around £1000?
If it's what I want to do it's what I want to do, i'm only 17 and 40 miles would be a minimum, that's without considering other trips.

Besides you're probably a lot older than me so can afford to travel those distances, whereas I don't have the time to travel such distances, due to being in school 6 hours a day. 'Peasant', lol

I'm 22.

Mate, if you really can't afford to drive any more than ''40 miles'' !!!!!! a week then there is seriously zero point getting a car, as I said, 40 miles driving for me would be going the gym, then into town for a bite 2 eat , I'll cover 40 miles in half an hour, your claiming you'll cover 40 miles in a week.

Seriously, forget getting a car, go take the bus and save on insurance, tax, e.t.c.
Reply 14
I do less than 2500 miles a year and have 2 cars and a motorbike.

#moremoneythansense.

There is no denying OP, driving is mega expensive and you would need a good job with a steady income to be able to afford it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending