The Student Room Group

Driving Lesson

I can’t tell my parents that I am taking driving lesson cos if I do then they will tell me to do the shopping once I get my car and license. So my dad has a car and I have never driven his car. And also he’s not in the country so can’t tell him. My mum doesn’t drive.

My main point me I have bought driving lesson. I want it to be both cost efficient and quick to get my license. I have already told my instructor that I have had a couple of hours of driving but starting to regret it as he will think I need a lot to learn. Or shall I tell him that I don’t practise with my dad.
Last week was my first lesson and first time driving a car.

What shall I say??
Reply 1
Have I missed something here? You are learning to drive and have had just one lesson?
If you have had about 60 to 70 lessons (a year or more at 1/week) you might be safe enough to drive without a supervisor ie you take your test But you do not own a car? But your Dad's car sat there and you whinge about having to do some shopping for them? Yet you just don't see the advantage you have?? How limiting is that outlook?

For a small inconvenience (shopping) you might have the best asset of your life. If your Mum and Dad put you on their insurance as a named driver you are laughing. Learning to drive is the easy bit. Affording a car and running a car with insurance costing thousands is the most expensive outlay ever - next to paying the rent.

Wind your neck in and do something in return for your parents. How much have they sacrificed already for you? Maybe that has been a false economy?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttly
Have I missed something here? You are learning to drive and have had just one lesson?
If you have had about 60 to 70 lessons (a year or more at 1/week) you might be safe enough to drive without a supervisor ie you take your test But you do not own a car? But your Dad's car sat there and you whinge about having to do some shopping for them? Yet you just don't see the advantage you have?? How limiting is that outlook?

For a small inconvenience (shopping) you might have the best asset of your life. If your Mum and Dad put you on their insurance as a named driver you are laughing. Learning to drive is the easy bit. Affording a car and running a car with insurance costing thousands is the most expensive outlay ever - next to paying the rent.

Wind your neck in and do something in return for your parents. How much have they sacrificed already for you? Maybe that has been a false economy?

Seconded!
Yeah unless there is something you're not telling us this all just sounds a bit silly. for the sake of avoiding a shopping run?

Are you planning to live a double life? Buy a car, hide it somewhere, pay all the £1000s in bills, travel and keep it a secret forever? never be seen in the car? never have it get back to them? how are you going to explain the envelopes which arrive from DVLA? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending