The Student Room Group

BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care (Sept 14 Entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Incubator
So you're telling me, a BTEC i will get you into Medicine? Will get you into Dentistry? Will get you into Physics? Your logic is very flawed. Don't get me wrong, BTEC's are good for hands-on, but if you want a respectable profession, A levels are the route to take. This is based on the academic challenges the A level provides. A level candidates prove they can cope under pressure, eg taking exams

-Sigh- :rolleyes:

I did not say it will get you onto those courses, I am referring to degrees such as nursing, social work, paramedics, degrees that are actually linked to this BTEC course. Are you trying to tell me those three degrees are not respectable professions?

Also, don't pull that with me. A-Level students have to revise for two exams in a subject per year, so three or four subjects with two exams each. BTEC students have to do endless amounts of coursework, their work level must remain the same for the entire two years, if one assignment falls to a grade below, the whole unit will be graded lower because of that one assignment. Also, we no longer have draft submissions. New BTEC rules are now in place which no longer allows students to have a draft version and final version, only one version can be submitted and if you don't meet the criteria - you don't meet the criteria. Meanwhile, A-Level student's can resit exams, and can even resit the entire year.

Can I just remind you that not all people who take A-Levels are intelligent, nor do they all succeed. Same with BTEC students, same with Access Courses. Can we please stop now? You <3 A-Levels, I prefer my chosen route which is the BTEC course. Stop acting five years old and grow up, you can't walk into an interview and start happily bashing BTEC's in an attempt to show off the fact you did A-Levels, who knows, your future manager may have done a BTEC.
Original post by EmEmTheFairy

I did not say it will get you onto those courses, I am referring to degrees such as nursing, social work, paramedics, degrees that are actually linked to this BTEC course. Are you trying to tell me those three degrees are not respectable professions?

Also, don't pull that with me. A-Level students have to revise for two exams in a subject per year, so three or four subjects with two exams each. BTEC students have to do endless amounts of coursework, their work level must remain the same for the entire two years, if one assignment falls to a grade below, the whole unit will be graded lower because of that one assignment. Also, we no longer have draft submissions. New BTEC rules are now in place which no longer allows students to have a draft version and final version, only one version can be submitted and if you don't meet the criteria - you don't meet the criteria. Meanwhile, A-Level student's can resit exams, and can even resit the entire year.

Can I just remind you that not all people who take A-Levels are intelligent, nor do they all succeed. Same with BTEC students, same with Access Courses. Can we please stop now? You <3 A-Levels, I prefer my chosen route which is the BTEC course. Stop acting five years old and grow up, you can't walk into an interview and start happily bashing BTEC's in an attempt to show off the fact you did A-Levels, who knows, your future manager may have done a BTEC.

This is SO true!! I did a level 3 BTEC, and pretty much my whole class have gone to university, apart from a few who have gone to do full time employment or gone to do a HND course at a local college :redface: :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 102

Totally agree, I just sighed at him mentioning Physics degrees hahaha... We are doing Health & Social Care for nursing etc, not Physics
This is one thing I hate the most, A level students who try and pull down people who decide to do a BTEC. Get your nose out of the air and realise that you're not superior. I have done both AS levels and a BTEC, and I can honestly say I have learnt more doing my BTEC in health and social care than I ever did by regurgitating information onto an exam paper. I don't like sitting in a classroom all the time, I like to put theory into practice and my BTEC has allowed me to do this. I have been able to do work experience in a hospice through this course, shadowing different teams, and it is an experience that will stay with me for life and has shown me so much about the profession that I want to commit to for the rest of my working life, nursing.

A levels are great for people who cope well with exams, and enjoy the whole set up of the course. But I prefer to learn the theory and then go and do it where possible and that's fine too. It is extremely hard to get appropriate and relevant work experience on an A level course, something I discovered myself, and if universities have to choose between an A level student without experience, and a BTEC student with experience then I know who they are going to choose. I think both A levels and BTEC's are respectable paths to take, but let's not make it a competition.

''A level candidates prove they can cope under pressure'' haha do you think BTEC Health and Social Care is a walk in the park, a breeze? Please, my stress levels have been sky high throughout my course and have had to cope with the pressure of deadlines and trying to get distinctions in all my units to get the required grades for my chosen degree. I got all distinctions and one merit in my first year, and I can tell you I didn't walk through to get those grades.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 104
So stressed with Unit 2 hahaha
Original post by iJess
So stressed with Unit 2 hahaha

Aw you'll be fine :biggrin: the stress will be worth it when you get your grades at the end of the course. When I finished my 2nd year, I was more stressed when I was trying to get signed off by my course leader as I only had a few bits of work from a few of her units to get marked but was SO relieved when I got the grades I worked out I was getting :biggrin: :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 106
Original post by ohhello92x
Aw you'll be fine :biggrin: the stress will be worth it when you get your grades at the end of the course. When I finished my 2nd year, I was more stressed when I was trying to get signed off by my course leader as I only had a few bits of work from a few of her units to get marked but was SO relieved when I got the grades I worked out I was getting :biggrin: :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm up to 12,000 words on task 2 so don't think I can really add much more but still stressing that I haven't given good evidence for the evaluate part, its much more stressful than when I did A-levels
Original post by iJess
I'm up to 12,000 words on task 2 so don't think I can really add much more but still stressing that I haven't given good evidence for the evaluate part, its much more stressful than when I did A-levels

Aw bless :redface:! I take it you're doing distinction work for unit 2 then :biggrin:? Yeah it was quite stressful trying to get the work completed by the deadline. I was talking to one of this years 2nd years a few weeks back at the college I went to to do the level 3 course and apparently they only get one submission for each piece of coursework now :eek: where as when I was there I think my class was basically the last ones at that college who could submit the work multiple times until we passed the work..

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in my second year now of this course and it is so annoying only having the one resubmission!! trying to get it perfect first time is hard. I only had 3 retries last year on 3 separate pieces of work but knowing that I only have one resubmission gets me quite scared!!

Just finished Unit 10 and currently nearly finished Unit 12 but its killiing me. I'm really struggling, but hey it'll be worth it getting into university!!
Original post by blondy2012
I'm in my second year now of this course and it is so annoying only having the one resubmission!! trying to get it perfect first time is hard. I only had 3 retries last year on 3 separate pieces of work but knowing that I only have one resubmission gets me quite scared!!

Just finished Unit 10 and currently nearly finished Unit 12 but its killiing me. I'm really struggling, but hey it'll be worth it getting into university!!

Yeah exactly! I never done unit 12 when I did the course :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohhello92x
Yeah exactly! I never done unit 12 when I did the course :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's horrible 😞😞😞
Reply 111
We're not allowed to resubmit you hand it in then that's it. Handed my task 1 of unit 2 as we get feedback before its marked officially and I achieved the first pass merit and have no changes to make. Handed in task 2 with the rest of the merit and distinction criteria done 50 pages so fingers crossed haha

Sent from my XT1021 using Tapatalk
It's horrible 😞😞😞

Aw bless :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iJess
We're not allowed to resubmit you hand it in then that's it. Handed my task 1 of unit 2 as we get feedback before its marked officially and I achieved the first pass merit and have no changes to make. Handed in task 2 with the rest of the merit and distinction criteria done 50 pages so fingers crossed haha

Sent from my XT1021 using Tapatalk

Ah ok it's all changed on how many times you can resubmit :redface:! Oh that's good well done :biggrin: when I did it, I got a mixtures of passes, merits and distinctions :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely understand your struggle with unit 12, Public Health right? I am currently doing M3 and D2 for that unit. I don't think it's the assignments themselves, it's finding all the evidence and research that takes me all my time. But good look with it, I hope you get the grades you want in the end.
Original post by ApelsinKatie
I completely understand your struggle with unit 12, Public Health right? I am currently doing M3 and D2 for that unit. I don't think it's the assignments themselves, it's finding all the evidence and research that takes me all my time. But good look with it, I hope you get the grades you want in the end.

Yeah totally agree!! I have handed it all in now so hopefully itll be good news!

Good luck to you too!

I'm not doing Unit 12 at all! The units I'm currently doing are 5, 6, 14 and 22. Also doing 44 combined with 6, but 44 is work experience which I completed in first year.
I'm not doing Unit 12 at all! The units I'm currently doing are 5, 6, 14 and 22. Also doing 44 combined with 6, but 44 is work experience which I completed in first year.

Ah nice!! I've completed 10, currently doing 12, 22, 14 and 28 and I have two others to do! :-)
Ah nice!! I've completed 10, currently doing 12, 22, 14 and 28 and I have two others to do! :-)

I'm really looking forward to doing Unit 10 later on in second year! I'll also be doing nutrition, health promotion, and the medicines unit. We're doing mostly nursing units this year, not a massive area of interest for me since I'm not applying for nursing, but good to have that extra underpinning knowledge I guess!
Reply 119
I studied level 2 health and social care and have worked my way up to my last year of level 3, and now I have applied to university to be a Midwife :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending