The Student Room Group

AQA Geog4b June 2014 - Morpeth flooding

Scroll to see replies

Is it a good idea to explicitly reference the AIB?
Original post by ella365
Are there any other points that you could make for "was there enough warning of what was to come?" apart from:

NO - middle greens didn't even get a warning
NO - high stanners warning was very late

I've got:
Flood alerts were issued 24 hours pre flooding so people should of known there was a risk, Poor weather was also forecasted on local and national news.
But other than that warnings where quite slow and too late to take action proactively. Could put in the fact authorities didn't want to 'Cry Wolf' to cause residents to not take warnings seriously
Original post by MJ-17
Evaluate how the response to the floods could be improved.

Short term responses to the flooding in Morpeth were criticised by residents. In item 1, resident Andrew Wilson of Middle Greens says he had no warnings and no help whatsoever. The automated telephone service missed out Middle Greens, down to human error. This response could have been improved by hiring 2 people to carry out this task - a fail safe method, so the locations the warnings are sent out to are double checked. This could have potentially largely reduced the impact of the flood in this area.
The flood defences should have received better maintenance, there were cracks in the flood wall at Middle Greens allowing water to leak through. The culverts trash screens should have also been regularly and routinely cleared to ensure no serious blockages, this could've been done by the Environment agency initially employing more people to preform these thorough checks of the defences.
Long term responses have been expensive and lengthy. These include the construction of the new dam, north of the Mitford Estate resulted in an original budget of £21 million. This flood alleviation scheme was unable to receive 100% grant-in-aid funding from the Central government, so £12 million was funded by the Northumberland County Council and around £9.3 million was provided by the Central government. The original plan of £21million has further rose to £26million. This extra £5million coming from council tax which the public are expected to not be very pleased with. This response could have been improved by considering applying for EU funding, or looking into alternative soft engineering responses which aren't so much of an expense, environmental issue and eyesore.

Can someone help me improve this, what soft engineering could they have used? What needs more detail?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps the first thing you should do is explain what a response means, again I know this sounds silly but showing the examiner you truly understand what the word means, shows explanation. Just a short paragraph, similar to the prepared paragraph I shared earlier.
The knowledge is good but you should talk more about responses in terms of the evacuation plans and what time they went into play. e.g. Item 4 shows that the Northumberland County Council started to evacuated people at 11.00am on Saturday 6th September. Then SAY this was a good, quick response because the river did not meet pick discharge until 16:00 that same day. Also, mention about Saturday. The fact that the flood happened on a busy Saturday meant the environment agency had to ensure their evacuations were one hundred percent needed, to ensure they did not make a false evacuation and lose money for Morpeth's town/economy.

Also, it is better to talk about two or three responses in detail, and evaluate them. Make a small conclusion at the end (if it were a 15 mark) saying the best response etc.

However, I feel what you have written is still good, well done :smile:
Original post by ella365
Are there any other points that you could make for "was there enough warning of what was to come?" apart from:

NO - middle greens didn't even get a warning
NO - high stanners warning was very late

You'll have to look at both sides to make a balanced judgement

e.g.
YES - no casualties suggest people had enough time to get out of danger (the main aim of the warning)
YES - extreme flood events preceding 2008 in other areas of the country/world were linked to climate change. The people of Morpeth were (generally) aware of risks to living on a floodplain so it shouldn't have been totally unexpected - they had time to prepare

I would say the argument for NO is much more solid but we must always counter argue to!
Original post by mahatma ghandi
Is it a good idea to explicitly reference the AIB?

Yes e.g. The evacuation of Morpeth was one which was mostly quick and efficient, as seen in Item 4 where it highlights that at 11:00am, Northumberland County Council started to evacuate the High Stanners Area.

Also, quote any additional research too. e.g. Some people might say that the evacuation plan was dis organised, as shown in an article wrirtten by the Morpeth Herald about...

You would to show your understanding of the AIB, make sure you don't lift the data and information from it though, just use it as a references or quote.
Is it quite likely that there will be a question about money investment?
Original post by Comeback
I'm really confused about what we should be talking about.

Say the question was 'Explain why Morpeth was a high risk town for flooding (8 marks)'

How much do we refer to the AIB and how much to stuff we have researched independently?

& if it said 'Morpeth is a high-risk town for flooding. Discuss this statement with reference to items 4, 5, etc'

How much should we refer to items and how much should we bring in other knowledge?

Also (sorry for the questions) but as well as a storm hydrograph we've looked at using the data for standard deviation, a statistical technique. Is this a form of presentation or does it need to be a graph/diagram to be a presentation technique?? (Sorry, probably a really silly question to ask! Confused :/ )

If the question explicitly asks you to use items, 4 or 5 then use it the MAJORITY OF the time, if not all. Add additional information you've found to either back-up or addiction what you are saying within your writing. You don't want to chuck everything at the page that you've learnt, it needs to be relevant and strategic. Remember, if you don't use additional information, you're very unlikely to get to the mid to top band of level 2 and you certainly wont get into level 3.

If the question doesn't state, as you put about. Then use both AIB, OS MAP and additional information. I'd say do a balance on all information but if a piece of additional information you've found is very strong and relevant, then by all means use it and talk about it, more so than the AIB.

The examiner wants to know that you have a full understanding of the events from the Morpeth floods 2008 and that you have done some preparation and own research. Ultimately, when your in the exam on Monday, do what your gut feelings tell you and you'll be fine :smile:

Oh and if it says a presentation technique then I would always go for a Storm Hydrograph. Standard deviation is not a presentation technique, a presentation technique is visual, graph etc. Standard deviation is more about how significant the storm was, don't worry too much. Just stick with hydro graphs and ensure you can explain and justify the reasons for use, if you're stuck, somewhere on the page I have written limitations and benefits for using a hydrograph. It sounds silly too, but make sure you explicitly say that you will out TIME on the X axis and Rain discharge in mm and cumecs on the Y axis etc.

Good luck, i'm sure you'll do fine. :smile:
Can anyone help me with the question -
'To what extent was the town's flood management plan fit for purpose?'
Where is this flood management plan?!
Reply 388
Original post by Jadeking
Perhaps the first thing you should do is explain what a response means, again I know this sounds silly but showing the examiner you truly understand what the word means, shows explanation. Just a short paragraph, similar to the prepared paragraph I shared earlier.
The knowledge is good but you should talk more about responses in terms of the evacuation plans and what time they went into play. e.g. Item 4 shows that the Northumberland County Council started to evacuated people at 11.00am on Saturday 6th September. Then SAY this was a good, quick response because the river did not meet pick discharge until 16:00 that same day. Also, mention about Saturday. The fact that the flood happened on a busy Saturday meant the environment agency had to ensure their evacuations were one hundred percent needed, to ensure they did not make a false evacuation and lose money for Morpeth's town/economy.

Also, it is better to talk about two or three responses in detail, and evaluate them. Make a small conclusion at the end (if it were a 15 mark) saying the best response etc.

However, I feel what you have written is still good, well done :smile:

Ahh yeah thanks for the advice!
Do you think we will have to draw a storm hydrograph?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If the question explicitly asks you to use items, 4 or 5 then use it the MAJORITY OF the time, if not all. Add additional information you've found to either back-up or addiction what you are saying within your writing. You don't want to chuck everything at the page that you've learnt, it needs to be relevant and strategic. Remember, if you don't use additional information, you're very unlikely to get to the mid to top band of level 2 and you certainly wont get into level 3.

If the question doesn't state, as you put about. Then use both AIB, OS MAP and additional information. I'd say do a balance on all information but if a piece of additional information you've found is very strong and relevant, then by all means use it and talk about it, more so than the AIB.

The examiner wants to know that you have a full understanding of the events from the Morpeth floods 2008 and that you have done some preparation and own research. Ultimately, when your in the exam on Monday, do what your gut feelings tell you and you'll be fine :smile:

Oh and if it says a presentation technique then I would always go for a Storm Hydrograph. Standard deviation is not a presentation technique, a presentation technique is visual, graph etc. Standard deviation is more about how significant the storm was, don't worry too much. Just stick with hydro graphs and ensure you can explain and justify the reasons for use, if you're stuck, somewhere on the page I have written limitations and benefits for using a hydrograph. It sounds silly too, but make sure you explicitly say that you will out TIME on the X axis and Rain discharge in mm and cumecs on the Y axis etc.

Good luck, i'm sure you'll do fine. :smile:

Thank you, that's very helpful! :smile:

Good luck to you too!
Original post by Scarlet Sampson
Is it quite likely that there will be a question about money investment?

There could be a question relating to tax payer's money and how far you feel Morpeth should be allocated funding? or something along those lines.Somewhere here I have put a rough plan of a question similar. Anything can come up really :smile: But I believe a question relating to a hydrograph can easily come up, also a question relating to post management from 2008. the Dam being built upstream at Mitford etc.

If you have a good range of background knowledge simply about morpeth, know the flood event, inside and out, know the management before the flood and the new management being built now. Then i',m sure you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by MJ-17
Ahh yeah thanks for the advice!
Do you think we will have to draw a storm hydrograph?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I don't believe they will ask to draw a storm hydro graph. Explaining why we'd use one, like in the plan I shared earlier is a great possibility of coming up.

They could give us a partially completed hydrograph but again I believe the above is much more likely.
does anyone know the flood defences that were in place prior to the morpeth floods and the flood defences installed afterwards? :smile:
Reply 393
Original post by homefind
has anyone got any key facts for the 2012 flood? i have some comparisons but not loads

A months rainfall in 24 hours
Over 100 houses flooded
90 people evacuated
Flood defences still not effective - it still flooded
4 fire engines
2 rescue teams
Town hall used as an evacuation centre
People felt evacuation went smoother than in 2008, people knew who to contact and what to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lucy_turnock
Can anyone help me with the question -
'To what extent was the town's flood management plan fit for purpose?'
Where is this flood management plan?!

This would probably be a 10 marker. The first thing I would do is define fir for purpose. In the context of the Morpeth Floods 2008, fit for purpose means that the town's flood management would dramatically reduce the damage the flood caused and how far the flood management was successful e.g. the flood wall keeping water away from Central Morpeth (of course this wasn't the case)

Then I would split it into two paragraphs saying, how Morpeths management was fit for purpose:
1) Item 4 shows evacuations began with High Stanners, beginning at 11:00am on Saturday 8th.
2) The variety of agencies used: Royal National Lifeboat Institution, RAF, firefighters and the British Red Cross.
3) In most areas (apart from Middle greens) there was successful severe flood warnings generally.
4) The flood wall was built to deal with the scale of the 1963 flood, but of course the 2008 flood exceeded those levels.

And how management wasn't fit for purpose:
1)Human error meant that Middle greens was not sent automated phone messages about flood warnings.
2) 18 pleasure boats were inaccessible
3) The flood wall leaked - potentially poor building or maintenance ?
4) The flood wall was not high enough, nor long enough.
5) Sand bag distribution far too late = ineffective anyway

Then you make an overall judgement at the end of the two paragraphs, e.g. 'I believe to a large extent the flood management was fit for purpose OR 'I believe to a large extent the flood management was not fir for purpose'. EXPLICITLY answers the question, don't forget abut what the question is asking you.

Remember, since 2000, Morpeth have been doing practice evacuation procedures and they've had planning in place and hard engineering (Flood wall defense).

Again, quote both AIB, OS MAP(if necessary) and additional research throughout. There is no wrong or right answer to this question it is YOUR opinion, just back it up and be sure to evaluate throughout.
Reply 395
Original post by ella365
yes please that would be so so helpful!

yes pleaseee :smile:
Original post by Vitzy
Thanks guys! Guren, I already had that stuff in my answer but thanks anyway. If either of you want my fully written answer via email just let me know, I have both of your emails!

Yes please email me and anything else you have done!! :biggrin:
Original post by lucyanne1996
does anyone know the flood defences that were in place prior to the morpeth floods and the flood defences installed afterwards? :smile:

The main defence in place was the Morpeth Flood wall, this was put up after the 1963 flood and was only built to withstand a flood of similar but NO higher magnitude.

The other things in place were culverts.

The only other things in place were the evacuation procedures and flood warning systems. Since 2000, Morpeth have been doing evacuation procedure since a town near to Morpeth flooded prior to 2000. The flood warning systems are a country-related system, and not only exits in Morpeth.

POST 2008
The proposal of the new dam upstream at Mitford. It was estimated originally at £18 million, then increased to £21 million and now is increased to £25 million. Look at item 5, pages 12 and 13 of your AIB for more detail.Also look at Morpeths alleviation scheme website, telling you more detail on what they're currently doing right now. Morpeth also have a twitter page about the constructions of the new flood defence. Check these websites out, familarise yourself with these new hard enginerring. The new wall, is also being built to withstand the levels of the 2008 flood - better than the existing wall which leaked during the floods.

Also, look at Morpeth herald and BBC articles about more information. its god to know extra information as you never know when you might need it. :smile:
Does anyone know when the flood defences were built in areas which were unprotected and repaired in other areas? Did this happen before the 2012 floods?
This would probably be a 10 marker. The first thing I would do is define fir for purpose. In the context of the Morpeth Floods 2008, fit for purpose means that the town's flood management would dramatically reduce the damage the flood caused and how far the flood management was successful e.g. the flood wall keeping water away from Central Morpeth (of course this wasn't the case)

Then I would split it into two paragraphs saying, how Morpeths management was fit for purpose:
1) Item 4 shows evacuations began with High Stanners, beginning at 11:00am on Saturday 8th.
2) The variety of agencies used: Royal National Lifeboat Institution, RAF, firefighters and the British Red Cross.
3) In most areas (apart from Middle greens) there was successful severe flood warnings generally.
4) The flood wall was built to deal with the scale of the 1963 flood, but of course the 2008 flood exceeded those levels.

And how management wasn't fit for purpose:
1)Human error meant that Middle greens was not sent automated phone messages about flood warnings.
2) 18 pleasure boats were inaccessible
3) The flood wall leaked - potentially poor building or maintenance ?
4) The flood wall was not high enough, nor long enough.
5) Sand bag distribution far too late = ineffective anyway

Then you make an overall judgement at the end of the two paragraphs, e.g. 'I believe to a large extent the flood management was fit for purpose OR 'I believe to a large extent the flood management was not fir for purpose'. EXPLICITLY answers the question, don't forget abut what the question is asking you.

Remember, since 2000, Morpeth have been doing practice evacuation procedures and they've had planning in place and hard engineering (Flood wall defense).

Again, quote both AIB, OS MAP(if necessary) and additional research throughout. There is no wrong or right answer to this question it is YOUR opinion, just back it up and be sure to evaluate throughout.

Thank you so so much! this is helping alot :smile:
Also for the question about the worst hit areas in Morpeth were places with flood defences, how would you answer this? As in how do you know where the flood defences were initially or do you just use P2 to help you?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending