The Student Room Group

AQA Geog4b June 2014 - Morpeth flooding

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Guren
Any other stats tests we need to know?

In the ZIGZAG booklet, it mentions about storm hydrographs, dispersion graph and standard deviation :smile:

If you go on the googledocs i scanned it onto there but if you cant see it PM me your email and i will send it you
Its on page 17 onwards, might be useful to print it and complete the tasks that are given
Original post by beckyboomason96
Ive just seen a question asking how did the 2012 floods compare with the 2008 floods? Does anyone have anything for that :smile:

Where did you see that question? :s-smilie:
Original post by Guren
Where did you see that question? :s-smilie:

In the ZIGZAG book, page 21 but i figured out the answer too!
Basically 2008 was a 1 in 250 year event whereas 2012 was a 1 in 100 year event. Also, the residents reacted more angrily during the 2012 floods because if the defences were put in place the floods wouldn't have reached Morpeth and even if it did, it wouldn't have caused as much damage. Finally, in 2012 there was widespread travel disruption and in the booklet in mentions about network rail having to divert the trains through Carlisle and loads of roads were shut :smile:
In the ZIGZAG book, page 21 but i figured out the answer too!
Basically 2008 was a 1 in 250 year event whereas 2012 was a 1 in 100 year event. Also, the residents reacted more angrily during the 2012 floods because if the defences were put in place the floods wouldn't have reached Morpeth and even if it did, it wouldn't have caused as much damage. Finally, in 2012 there was widespread travel disruption and in the booklet in mentions about network rail having to divert the trains through Carlisle and loads of roads were shut :smile:

Doesn't it say in the AIB say that the 2008 was in excess of a hundred 100's , so where did you get the 1/250 years event? :smile:
And thanks for that!
Casually bumping this.
I've been going through the AIB and using Google maps and the AIB O.S map to try and find the places referred to in the AIB (low stanners area...Middle Greens...) Not sure how worthwhile or helpful this is, but feel it may be beneficial to know where they are as this may prompt thoughts about why these particular areas are mentioned; flooded particularly badly, or ignored for a while by rescuers...
Hey! Could anyone explain what a zigzag booklet is? I'm guessing its not the pre release material.... Is it possible for anyone to send me the scan?
Original post by Mistee M
Hey! Could anyone explain what a zigzag booklet is? I'm guessing its not the pre release material.... Is it possible for anyone to send me the scan?

Hi, it's basically a booklet that this company pit together and it costs £50 to buy! It's basically load of practice questions and activities to do to help focus your revision and make you think what kin of questions will come up, if you PM me your email I'll send you the scan of it :smile: tbf it is quite useful
We are doing a mock paper next week (which they have obviously constructed) look forward to see what it is like.
Reply 89
Does anyone have any useful notes they are willing to share? :smile:
Can someone please offer to send me a scan of the ZigZag booklet? Our teachers have made a booklet of possible questions but it looks helpless.
In the ZIGZAG booklet, it mentions about storm hydrographs, dispersion graph and standard deviation :smile:

If you go on the googledocs i scanned it onto there but if you cant see it PM me your email and i will send it you
Its on page 17 onwards, might be useful to print it and complete the tasks that are given

Just to save people time doing calculations:

The standard deviation for the rainfall on Saturday 6th came to 1.50.
The median rainfall over the 3 days was 1mm.
The upper quartile for the rainfall over the 3 days was 3.2mm.
The lower quartile for the rainfall over the 3 days was 0mm.
The inter quartile range for the three days was... 3.2mm.
A dispersion diagram shows 66% of the data on Saturday 6th was above 3.2mm showing a a large amount of rainfall was concentrated in this period.
Original post by StartingTheParty
Can someone please offer to send me a scan of the ZigZag booklet? Our teachers have made a booklet of possible questions but it looks helpless.

I can, PM me your email address :smile:
Reply 93
Original post by StartingTheParty
Just to save people time doing calculations:

The standard deviation for the rainfall on Saturday 6th came to 1.50.
The median rainfall over the 3 days was 1mm.
The upper quartile for the rainfall over the 3 days was 3.2mm.
The lower quartile for the rainfall over the 3 days was 0mm.
The inter quartile range for the three days was... 3.2mm.
A dispersion diagram shows 66% of the data on Saturday 6th was above 3.2mm showing a a large amount of rainfall was concentrated in this period.

Can someone add me to the googledocs? or does anyone know how I access it? :smile:
Original post by Beni24
Can someone add me to the googledocs? or does anyone know how I access it? :smile:

Same i've messaged OP but he isn't replying.
Seriously need some help with this exam. How are you all revising for this exam ? Have you made notes, and what on ? Need help pleassseeeeee !!!!!!
Reply 96
What statistical tests do we need to do/or know?
Does anyone know what statistical tests or graphs we may need to know?
Original post by Beni24
What statistical tests do we need to do/or know?

Original post by aklima2670
Does anyone know what statistical tests or graphs we may need to know?

I second this :smile:
This Chat really hasn't kicked off very well ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending