The Student Room Group

AQA Geog4b June 2014 - Morpeth flooding

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
The past three geog4b exams have been on average 40/60 for an A and 35/60 for a B, do people feel it should be about these kind of marks again!?
Original post by HELPMEPASSplease
Yes the pink ones :smile: ok thanks! Whoever is scanning it is gonna be so confused !

Haha i'm sure they'll figure out your answers, it's their job after all! No problem! :smile:
Reply 982
Original post by TheStudent18
Just got off of the phone with AQA (they were really helpful) and they said as long as your handwriting is readable, it will be marked! :smile:

So if you wrote under the lines but within the box it will be marked? Cause I did that too, did'nt even have time to think about asking for extra paper!
Original post by chloek2
So if you wrote under the lines but within the box it will be marked? Cause I did that too, did'nt even have time to think about asking for extra paper!

Yes - according to the AQA helpline operator, it will be. :smile:
I've got a feeling it'll be 43/60 for an A* and 39/60 for an A. Think grade boundaries may be slightly lower.
Imagine if Morpeth floods again... **** it don't care.... I'm not going to write about it any more.

Glad it's over.
A bit squeezed on time, but overall decent exam :smile:

Time to watch Game of Thrones :biggrin:
On the penultimate question about whether money should be spent on protecting Morpeth, I actually ran out of time!! However, I did write about:

- The 2008 flood was a one in 137 year event with a 0.7% chance of occurring in a year
- The British government, represented by Defra, didn't think it was worth it - they refused to fund the scheme under FDGiA
- However, the local authorities (NCC and CMBC) did think it was worth it and managed to get a £9.3 million grant under the "Partnership Scheme"
- Morpeth is the location of people's homes and livlihoods
- Morpeth is architecturally important - Georgian frontage to buildings, listed places of worship like St. Robert's church and the nature reserves closeby

Do you think I could get 7/15 for that?
Original post by StartingTheParty
On the penultimate question about whether money should be spent on protecting Morpeth, I actually ran out of time!! However, I did write about:

- The 2008 flood was a one in 137 year event with a 0.7% chance of occurring in a year
- The British government, represented by Defra, didn't think it was worth it - they refused to fund the scheme under FDGiA
- However, the local authorities (NCC and CMBC) did think it was worth it and managed to get a £9.3 million grant under the "Partnership Scheme"
- Morpeth is the location of people's homes and livlihoods
- Morpeth is architecturally important - Georgian frontage to buildings, listed places of worship like St. Robert's church and the nature reserves closeby

Do you think I could get 7/15 for that?

I ran out of time too! What you've said sounds good to me :smile:
What threw me a bit was the one about why did Middle Greens flood...
Because it was why did it flood I never thought to mention the failure if the phone system cause even if it had worked the area would have still flooded?
Is this right or have I over complicated it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 989
Original post by pallan
Because it was why did it flood I never thought to mention the failure if the phone system cause even if it had worked the area would have still flooded?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It said to discuss human and physical so they may accept it as human but like you said it didn't impact the severity, however some people may say it did in terms of planning because people could have stopped their homes from being flooded through sand bags etc if they had time to prepare. It's not a main point like urbanisation, drainage system etc so I wouldn't worry
Original post by pallan

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's right! The evacuation order couldn't affect the actual flood, just the impacts (making it irrelevant)

I talked about physical factors causing general flooding in Morpeth and then linked that to Middle Greens if that makes sense
Then how it was downstream and on the meander, making it worse than upstream
+Human factors e.g high density buildings, the culvert that blew open a manhole, drains and how the flood wall caused a sudden surge of water after it was overtopped and concluded that the area would have flooded anyway but was exacerbated by human factors
Original post by Dr. Spëghnks
That's right! The evacuation order couldn't affect the actual flood, just the impacts (making it irrelevant)

I talked about physical factors causing general flooding in Morpeth and then linked that to Middle Greens if that makes sense
+Human factors e.g high density buildings, the culvert that blew open a manhole, drains and how the flood wall caused a sudden surge of water after it was overtopped and concluded that the area would have flooded anyway but was exacerbated by human factors

On that question, for the physical aspects, I spoke about the narrowing of the River Wansbeck around the Middle Greens area? I also spoke about the contour lines to the South of the Middle Greens being closer together indicating a steep gradient?
Original post by Dr. Spëghnks

Ah good! Relieved to know I didn't do it totally wrong.
I think for physical I used general but linked it in to the area and also said of how it was on the outside bend of a meander = fastest flow, likely to build up quicker and over top flood walls - idk if that's right though?!
And for human I was stumped a little but put urbanisation and said it was a bad thing but cause it said discuss I said 'however they were terraced houses which were likely cheap and all people could afford' again don't know if I over complicated things a little

Thought it was a weird exam to say the least hmm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pallan
Ah good! Relieved to know I didn't do it totally wrong.
I think for physical I used general but linked it in to the area and also said of how it was on the outside bend of a meander = fastest flow, likely to build up quicker and over top flood walls - idk if that's right though?!
And for human I was stumped a little but put urbanisation and said it was a bad thing but cause it said discuss I said 'however they were terraced houses which were likely cheap and all people could afford' again don't know if I over complicated things a little

Thought it was a weird exam to say the least hmm

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds similar to mine so I hope its okay!
How did you find the other questions? I thought the actual questions were reasonable but I'm not sure if I managed to write 15 marks worth
Original post by Tomm96
I thought the questions were reasonable straight forward...

however, the time given to answer the questions is a joke...

Yes, agreed. The questions were easy but I had too much to write and not enough time to write it all. I definitely needed at least another 30 minutes.
Original post by Jadeking
Now a days, things like that get scanned in so it won't be marked, Unless its marked by hand, but I'm not sure that happens anymore.

Nope, AQA mark on the paper (I'm a sociology examiner - I get the original papers).
Original post by bbadonde2
I thought it was a reasonable exam, better format than previous years. The last question was a dream! :cool:

I wish that the last question was worth more points!! And I agree, I thought it was pretty reasonable :smile:
Reply 997
Original post by Weeble33
Yes, agreed. The questions were easy but I had too much to write and not enough time to write it all. I definitely needed at least another 30 minutes.

yep, totally agree, like for the hydrograph question, or the physical/human causes, I could have wrote for ages... But didn't have the time
Original post by TheStudent18
Also, does anyone know if your work is still marked if you continue writing until the bottom of the page, but not on the lines given for the question?

Yes, they do.
Which is lucky, as I filled all the space below the lines! You just have to make sure it's all inside the box. And even if it isn't they'll still mark it. It's just that the area outside the box is for examiner codes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Guren

Time to watch Game of Thrones :biggrin:

Season finale! YES!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending