The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

2014 Cornwall/Penryn Campus entry - especially anyone doing Zoology or related :)

Scroll to see replies

I studied there in 2014 and ended up dropping out by xmas. It's a nice place to study and don't let anyone tell you it's quiet and Cornish because it may be Cornish but still has plenty of parties and night life just in a more densely populated space - you still get plenty of the usually drunken idiots. With regards to the course, obviously it may be different now, but they massively oversubscribed. The year as a whole couldn't fit in one theatre. Some lecturers were shocking but there were some good ones too. My tutor didn't have a clue about being a tutor when it came to advice - I actually got more help from the Falmouth Union folks when dropping out. If you're sure that you want to learn a broad array of all things living then it may be perfect for you. I just didn't really relish in collecting earthworms for three hours. I think the best way to look at it is that if you're keen on saving the planet, being green, want to volunteer, travel, be part of nature unions and have a passion for all things living then it may be ideal. Not to mention having a beach nearby is great if you're into water sports and surfing. I would definitely recommend visiting and talking to current students as thing change evey year. Obviously this is just my experience but good luck with it all. If you have any other more specific questions will gladly answer if I'm able.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by Mariella123
I studied there in 2014 and ended up dropping out by xmas. It's a nice place to study and don't let anyone tell you it's quiet and Cornish because it may be Cornish but still has plenty of parties and night life just in a more densely populated space - you still get plenty of the usually drunken idiots. With regards to the course, obviously it may be different now, but they massively oversubscribed. The year as a whole couldn't fit in one theatre. Some lecturers were shocking but there were some good ones too. My tutor didn't have a clue about being a tutor when it came to advice - I actually got more help from the Falmouth Union folks when dropping out. If you're sure that you want to learn a broad array of all things living then it may be perfect for you. I just didn't really relish in collecting earthworms for three hours. I think the best way to look at it is that if you're keen on saving the planet, being green, want to volunteer, travel, be part of nature unions and have a passion for all things living then it may be ideal. Not to mention having a beach nearby is great if you're into water sports and surfing. I would definitely recommend visiting and talking to current students as thing change evey year. Obviously this is just my experience but good luck with it all. If you have any other more specific questions will gladly answer if I'm able.

Thank you so much this is really helpful, did most people on the course when you were there feel the same?
The course must have been suited to students that were into all the volunteering, Ecofriendly and loving everything alive - like bugs, bacteria, some mammals etc. I believe there were a fair few drop outs but that is often the case anywhere. My group of friends on the course we're typical students that were there more for the parties and socials so doing the work was just something they needed to do rather than their main motivation of staying at the uni. It totally depends on why people you speak to - it's a popular course. But like any course don't be drawn in by league tables alone and think about what you really want out of university and for a career. It's probably also worth mentioning that I deferred to begin with and still wasn't ready to go when I did - it cost me a lot of my savings and I had to give up a great job. Going to any university should be at a time that suits you. A few years later I'm now studying on a distance learning course at a university that is perfect for me but not at all Russell group.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you, I will have to do some more research on the modules.
Reply 24
Hi Mariella, it's interesting hearing someone's experience of the zoology course!! I am due to start next year as I had to defer for the year!! I am a mature student and am worried about prospects and employment after the course!!! Do you get a feel of much work around when your down there??? I know you left the course by the Christmas but did you get a sense of it being a 'hard Russell group' uni??!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending