The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

American Student Attending HW for Postgraduate Math

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong sub-forum. I've been accepted for the taught master's in math at Heriot-Watt beginning in September and, though I've heard excellent things about the school, I'm a bit concerned about potential difficulties in finding a job in the States with degree from a relatively unknown foreign university. The course looks rigorous (enough to scare me a bit, in fact), but I was wondering if there were any American or other foreign students that have dealt with this.
Reply 1
I also wanted to add that I was by no means an applicant with a stellar undergraduate record. This was partially due to medical reasons and partially to do with being a lazy kid that read too much Schopenhauer (I had to justify my 'what's the point' attitude). I'm ready to work incredibly hard and am taking master's level courses at a university now as preparation, but I was wondering if perhaps such a full course load as a newly dedicated student might be overwhelming (a full course load at US schools is three graduate courses per semester while the one at HW is 4). I get the feeling that UK universities are much more inclined to welcome foreign graduate students-- including perhaps some that may feel or be unqualified, like me-- in the sciences than US schools are. Thanks.
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest