The Student Room Group

Polar coordinates FP2

When doing b), I plotted from 0 to 2pi, with a gap of pi/4 between each theta value but this unnecessarily prolonged my working out. I could have just used a gap of pi/2 between each theta value but I did not discover this until afterwards.

When given a question like b) or c), how do you determine the range of the theta values (and the gap between each) prior to plotting points?
Original post by GPODT

When doing b), I plotted from 0 to 2pi, with a gap of pi/4 between each theta value but this unnecessarily prolonged my working out. I could have just used a gap of pi/2 between each theta value but I did not discover this until afterwards.

When given a question like b) or c), how do you determine the range of the theta values (and the gap between each) prior to plotting points?

Look for values of theta that make r=0 which will identify loops and values that make r a maximum.
Original post by brianeverit
Look for values of theta that make r=0 which will identify loops and values that make r a maximum.

Ooh thanks. Good idea.
Original post by keromedic
Ooh thanks. Good idea.

You are welcome. Glad to help.
Reply 4
Original post by brianeverit

Sorry for the late reply. That is a very useful tip! Btw, what are the dotted lines and how do you know which of the theta values you obtain are dotted lines?
Original post by GPODT
Sorry for the late reply. That is a very useful tip! Btw, what are the dotted lines and how do you know which of the theta values you obtain are dotted lines?

The dotted lines are just the values of theta that make r=0 and so are tangential to the curve.

Quick Reply

Latest