The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm always extra polite to the really rude ones... it drives them mad :smile:
i hate serving rude/patrionising customers..if they're mean to me i just don't say anything because if i say ANYTHING i know ill probably say it in a bitchy way! :frown: grrrrrr
Reply 42
I was once a McManager and had to deal with quite a few rude customers, owing mostly to the fact that people tend to view McDonald's as more of a pseudo business than something legitimate and therefore worthy of decent behaviour. The best way to handle this was to simply take the order, tell them to have a seat and then proceed to make them wait nothing less than an hour, which is best done with "Gawd, I'm so sorry for dropping that/giving it to that customer/forgetting this, can you please just give me another couple of minutes?"

I actually had one bloke wait a tad over 90 minutes before he finally lost his temper and demanded a refund. He got a little more angry when I handed the exact amount over immediately as I had performed necessary refund routine not long after he made his order.

Alternatively, and this really depends on how well you can pick the character of people, you can just say that you're not going to serve somebody without manners and ignore them. Another personal favourite of mine. Mostly because one lady decided to steal a potplant on the way back to her car and I phoned the police and pointed out that we had security cameras that recorded the whole thing.

Rude people are nothing more than victims awaiting any mercy you choose to give them.
Reply 43
Ignore them!
Reply 44
ladyportacabin
Ignore her and fantasise about your life when you don't have to serve coffee anymore.

I suppose you could fantasise about her and ignore your inhibitions.
Reply 45
I'm not in the same situation as the OP but I sympathise lots! I get phone calls from people who work in the same business as I do, and they're rude to me, asking me oh well can you do this, when it's not my job, or because I havent been working there long it seems ok for them to have the right to be condescending. I just grin and bear it as I don't want someone phoning up my manager complaining about be, resulting in me getting fired or having a bad reference. Instead I complain and bitch to my workmates who go through the same experiences. I feel like I'm powerless to do anything, but then I remind myself it's only my summer job..and even tho' i'll be going back at xmas and easter, i will have had a break from it, so maybe it won't get me riled up like it has since i started in october! If all else fails, I might hang up the phone and go oops, bad phone line! :wink:
Reply 46
Anonymous
My summer job involves a lot of customer service, which is fine, but sometimes you'll get a customer who is a complete and utter arse!!! For example, this old woman started having a go at one of my workmates as she was preparing her coffee or whatever it was, and generally had a bad, very condescending attitude. It makes me so angry. What's the best way to react when you're in this situation? I find myself getting worked up and being tempted to argue back, but yeah that would probably lose customers and after all the customer is always right....But surely it's not right to just stand there and take their crap? What do you think?

Oops, just made a thread about a rude customer. Didn't see this one!

I think you should stand up for yourself if someone's rude because you shouldn't have to take their crap. I had to answer back to one yesterday because she was just so disgustingly rude, I asked her what her problem was. In future I'm just going to refuse to serve someone if they give me abuse. I'm paid to serve them, not to be verbally bitch-slapped by complete strangers.

I actually remember when one woman had a go at me for forgetting to give her her 1p change...lol
If a customer is rude to me, I tell them that I'm not prepared to serve them if they keep being rude.

I'm never rude back, because then I'm on the same level as them.
Just carry on being polite as possible, even if it sounds patronising. You can't get in to trouble for being rude that way.

There have been a couple of times when the customer has been so rude that I have just lost it! :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending