The Student Room Group

Really stressed and Confused

I'm in my final year and I've been working since starting uni, I've been working a new job since October and originally things were going really well, but now I hate it and don't know how to proceed.

Its 21 hours a week, so 3 full days - I didn't mind this at first but with assignments and uni I don't have time for myself anymore and my life has become all about work. The position was originally remote but on a weekly basis I have to go into office which is 4 hours of commute a day and takes a good chunk off my finances - they didn't tell us this at first and told us this was going to happen on the first day after training was complete. I don't feel supported by my manager and whenever I do ask for help it gets ignored or I never get the help I need. Ethically it's so bad - its a customer service role, but they expect you to put up with all the harsh customers even if they are in the wrong, I recently had someone saying everything and anything on the phone to me the other day and I felt really down about it - only for my manager to get back to me and start lecturing me on how I should have done this or that (the company sent a warning letter to the customer because it was that bad, but my manager is telling me off for defending myself and ending the call when it escalated in a civil manner?) On better days, when I'm doing well, the systems are always crashing and I can't do anything about it - there has never been a peaceful day here.

I feel miserable all the time and always dread work - I can't stand it, but at the same time the salary is quite decent and the company is really big and a 'respectable' place to work - I've also landed a senior position when I'm still 'entry-level' which is why I'm still here - I've never quit a job and have always done so well. I really wanted this job to save up for my future and to use for my masters tuition fees, buying a car etc, but all I feel is miserable and just get depressed over thinking ; ' what issues are going to happen at work today?'

Can somebody please advise?
Reply 1
Looking in from the outside, it sounds like you need to chuck this job - unless you can learn to manage its negative aspects better than you are currently doing.
Reply 2
Original post by cheadle
Looking in from the outside, it sounds like you need to chuck this job - unless you can learn to manage its negative aspects better than you are currently doing.
Hi, thanks for your response, it does feel that way, though I'm a bit uneasy about quitting because it'll be the first time I'll ever be quitting a job - I've never been fired before, as a student I've just been doing contracted work, so it feels weird. The negative aspects are things that aren't in my control especially if it's things like system issues or rude customers to deal with - there's only so much I can do and even in my recent probation meeting my manager has expressed that my performance is really good - there are a lot of good things to this organisation but the environment is just toxic and unbearable at times with the amount of pressure put on us 😕
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, thanks for your response, it does feel that way, though I'm a bit uneasy about quitting because it'll be the first time I'll ever be quitting a job - I've never been fired before, as a student I've just been doing contracted work, so it feels weird. The negative aspects are things that aren't in my control especially if it's things like system issues or rude customers to deal with - there's only so much I can do and even in my recent probation meeting my manager has expressed that my performance is really good - there are a lot of good things to this organisation but the environment is just toxic and unbearable at times with the amount of pressure put on us 😕
I'm not hearing many good reasons for sticking with the job! Would it be worth speaking to your line manager to see if you might move within the company to something less public-facing? If they like you they should want to keep you.
Reply 4
Original post by cheadle
I'm not hearing many good reasons for sticking with the job! Would it be worth speaking to your line manager to see if you might move within the company to something less public-facing? If they like you they should want to keep you.
Thanks for all your help and advice on this - I really appreciated it and I felt that I should give an update. I did try to speak to my manager about changing my schedule a bit though she was unwilling to do things and started becoming argumentative and mad with me and didn't like the fact that I asked that question. I thought about things for a while and the truth is I'm really unhappy with this Job and it is quite soul-destroying. I'm in my final year of uni too and this job was slowing me down - I'm going to be applying for a master's soon so this job would be getting in the way of that too and would impact my degree grade. So, after a lot of thinking and talking to lots of people I decided to hand in my resignation letter last Wednesday and tomorrow is my last day working. I don't regret my decision and everyone has been telling me I made the right choice - after speaking to my dissertation supervisor he also said I'd done the right thing. I was initially upset and felt bad about leaving, though it's as if I was having signs that my decision was the best thing to do, because the moment I handed in that letter everything got worse at work - a lot of system issues and crashes company-wide and a lot of problematic customers amongst other issues - looking back now I'm glad that I don't have to put up with that anymore and I'm free from that. I would have asked for a transfer but after looking into things there wasn't anything I could find and I didn't want to rely on an unreliable manager in this situation, nor did I want to compromise my degree, because all the work was starting to burn me out. I'm feeling a lot better now that I handed that letter in and I'm actually able to enjoy the last few months of my degree; thanks again for all your help.
Reply 5
Thank you for the update! I'm really impressed with the way you have handled the situation - you took your time, explored the different options, did nothing rash - but in the end you saw things for what they are. Now you can focus on completing your studies - good luck with that and the future!
Original post by Anonymous #1
Thanks for all your help and advice on this - I really appreciated it and I felt that I should give an update. I did try to speak to my manager about changing my schedule a bit though she was unwilling to do things and started becoming argumentative and mad with me and didn't like the fact that I asked that question. I thought about things for a while and the truth is I'm really unhappy with this Job and it is quite soul-destroying. I'm in my final year of uni too and this job was slowing me down - I'm going to be applying for a master's soon so this job would be getting in the way of that too and would impact my degree grade. So, after a lot of thinking and talking to lots of people I decided to hand in my resignation letter last Wednesday and tomorrow is my last day working. I don't regret my decision and everyone has been telling me I made the right choice - after speaking to my dissertation supervisor he also said I'd done the right thing. I was initially upset and felt bad about leaving, though it's as if I was having signs that my decision was the best thing to do, because the moment I handed in that letter everything got worse at work - a lot of system issues and crashes company-wide and a lot of problematic customers amongst other issues - looking back now I'm glad that I don't have to put up with that anymore and I'm free from that. I would have asked for a transfer but after looking into things there wasn't anything I could find and I didn't want to rely on an unreliable manager in this situation, nor did I want to compromise my degree, because all the work was starting to burn me out. I'm feeling a lot better now that I handed that letter in and I'm actually able to enjoy the last few months of my degree; thanks again for all your help.
Thanks for the update. You handled it well and your final degrre result is important.

Well done and good luck in your Masters application :smile:
I was in a similar situation, I was juggling studies and 3 jobs and it was almost like an addiction, trying to distract myself from many things but I got so burnt out and it really wasn't healthy and eventually my studies began to suffer. I felt really disheartened by having to quit and shrink my work load but my physical health was being effected and so was my mental. I know its very hard and worrying as you are grateful for that job opportunity and money is a huge stressor but you need to remember university if not part time and even when part time, is going to be like a job so you need to put in that time. So to balance all of this is super intense and becomes unrealistic. Think about your priorities, I'm assuming you have a student loan, I think right now your priority needs to be studying. Remember you're paying for this and you need your degree and you don't need to pay off debts immediately. It just might mean it takes you more time to do things but this job is making you MISERABLE. Don't ever put up with things just because. I deal with working with too many miserable people and it really has a negative impact on you. You can find a more easy going job and a job that you enjoy, do not settle for less when you can.
Reply 8
Thank you for your reply and for sharing, it was really stressful and difficult but I did decide to quit and I'm able to spend more time on my studies now so I feel a lot better and calmer. Thanks again for your advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending