The Student Room Group

Reasonable adjustments at work

I'm neurodivergent and interviews/assessment centres are difficult for me. When applying for a job like marks and spencers, asda etc what would be considered a reasonable adjustment because I highly doubt i'd get the job if i had to attend an assessment day with a bunch of other people
I may be misunderstanding here, but wouldn't these jobs almost certainly involve dealing with the public in significant numbers and working directly as part of a group? Like working in that environment with others would almost certainly be an unavoidable part of the job no matter what solo arrangement could possibly be put in place for an interview.

Not trying to put you down or put you off applying at all, just confused how that would work if in the role, a lot of these retail roles specifically state you need to be 'great with people' etc.
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
I may be misunderstanding here, but wouldn't these jobs almost certainly involve dealing with the public in significant numbers and working directly as part of a group? Like working in that environment with others would almost certainly be an unavoidable part of the job no matter what solo arrangement could possibly be put in place for an interview.

Not trying to put you down or put you off applying at all, just confused how that would work if in the role, a lot of these retail roles specifically state you need to be 'great with people' etc.

Im good with customer service roles actually, its just interviews that I find difficult due to the questions, being put on the spot etc
Original post by Lvnaooo
Im good with customer service roles actually, its just interviews that I find difficult due to the questions, being put on the spot etc

Well, yeah that sort of forced interaction and scrutiny is always going to be a concern and a stress for everyone to varying extents, but they are simply other (slightly formal) customers when you think about it, they need service and you have service to sell.

In terms of asking for some sort of solo interview arrangement (if they do indeed have group interviews) that might be reasonably accommodatable, but I'm guessing they would have a similar follow up query to mine In terms of your confidence in working with customers and colleagues.
Reply 4
Do some web searching about large employers recruiting policies and write to their HR Depts. There’s growing awareness of the difficulties neurodivergent people have and the advantages of diversification within an organisation. Some companies will have arrangements in place to make reasonable adjustments. I imagine that without a policy in place it will be difficult to get adjustments made, but I don’t know
Hi,

I’m autistic and I find group interviews make me feel more anxious. I had an 1-1 interview with Waitrose - they were very accommodating of this.

I would hope that any other company that offers reasonable adjustments (I know M&S and ASDA give you the option to say what adjustments you may need, for instance) would adapt the interview for you.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Lvnaooo
I'm neurodivergent and interviews/assessment centres are difficult for me. When applying for a job like marks and spencers, asda etc what would be considered a reasonable adjustment because I highly doubt i'd get the job if i had to attend an assessment day with a bunch of other people

Companies have a legal requirement to make reasonable adjustments for disabled workers/candidates. The ways in which businesses are able to accommodate requests can vary but large companies such as M and S and ASDA are well established and will already employ a diverse workforce. Communicate to any prospective employers what you require and they should do their best to help. This could be more time to answer questions or a one to one interview situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending