The Student Room Group

GCSE Chemistry confusion :3

This is probably really simple but i can't find the answer anywhere :P.
Could anyone tell me what the (II) means in chemicals like copper(II) nitrate etc? ( I know it stands for 2 of something but could someone please explain as its not in any revision guides...)
Reply 1
Original post by sparklingTurkey
This is probably really simple but i can't find the answer anywhere :P.
Could anyone tell me what the (II) means in chemicals like copper(II) nitrate etc? ( I know it stands for 2 of something but could someone please explain as its not in any revision guides...)

In this case it's the oxidation state of copper, you can use it to work out the formula of the named compounds.

So for copper (II) nitrate, the copper has an oxidation state of +2 and exists as a Cu2+ ion. You know the nitrate ion has a single negative charge, therefore copper (II) nitrate has a formula of Cu(NO3)2.

Other examples are copper (I) oxide and copper (II) oxide. See if you can work these out.

I'm not sure what's required for GCSE, but if you want to read more chemguide is a good resource. ( http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/redox/oxidnstates.html)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Roman numerals like prefixes are used to state the valency of the atom when its different from the group in which it belongs to on the periodic table. I hope that helps :smile:
The Roman numerals refer to the atoms oxidation number. So in your example copper is at it's +2 oxidation state.
Reply 4
Oxidation state, or more simply the charge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest