The Student Room Group

Honda Civic's are overrated

Scroll to see replies

Original post by traintracks1995
A top of the range Passat is more than a match in straight line acceleration for a top of the range Civic. The Passat is most crucially of all a saloon, and therefore has the winning combination of elegance and performance under one roof. It is spacious inside also, you can carry 4 friends in comfort to look back at the dusted Civic. And naturally being German, the Passat has the very best heritage. Why settle for anything less?

From what I could find. Quickest Civic is 6.4s. The quickest Passat is 6.3s (4.0 W8).

I know you don't have a W8 and I can guarantee that you are not likely to come up against one, compared to a Civic.

The Passat you guys are claiming is quick is lucky to do it in sub 8s. Anything over I consider slow.
Original post by DotDotCurve
From what I could find. Quickest Civic is 6.4s. The quickest Passat is 6.3s (4.0 W8).

I know you don't have a W8 and I can guarantee that you are not likely to come up against one, compared to a Civic.

The Passat you guys are claiming is quick is lucky to do it in sub 8s. Anything over I consider slow.

I know I don't have a W8. But as you have proved, the top of the range Passat has a greater 0-60 (and greater top speed) than the top of the range Civic. I suspect even if you went for middle of the range and bottom of the range for both cars will hold true.
I know I don't have a W8. But as you have proved, the top of the range Passat has a greater 0-60 (and greater top speed) than the top of the range Civic. I suspect even if you went for middle of the range and bottom of the range for both cars will hold true.

Quick look at Parkers, shows only once you hit 3.2 does it get close. Even then, the bhp per tonne is embarrassing in a mid range Passat. Even the high end are pretty pathetic.

Actually the top of the range Passat is the R36 which can do 0-60 in 5.4 seconds and upto a top speed of 155mph.
Original post by The Jargen
Actually the top of the range Passat is the R36 which can do 0-60 in 5.4 seconds and upto a top speed of 155mph.

The Passat GTI as some call it
The Passat GTI as some call it

Nope a that would be the equivalent of the Golf GTI, the R36 is on par with the R32.
Nope a that would be the equivalent of the Golf GTI, the R36 is on par with the R32.

Which Phaeton models correspond to the R32 and GTI ?
Which Phaeton models correspond to the R32 and GTI ?

The Phaeton is a higher spec car so theres no equavalent for the GTI but for the R32, its 3.6 FSI or the 3.0 V6 TDI.
A top of the range Passat is more than a match in straight line acceleration for a top of the range Civic. The Passat is most crucially of all a saloon, and therefore has the winning combination of elegance and performance under one roof. It is spacious inside also, you can carry 4 friends in comfort to look back at the dusted Civic. And naturally being German, the Passat has the very best heritage. Why settle for anything less?

I lol'd at this.

Once the Honda VTEC engine kicks in, it's game over kiddo for you.

Define elegance btw.
Original post by James A

Define elegance btw.

The complete opposite of a Honda Civic.
Original post by Mickey O'Neil
The complete opposite of a Honda Civic.

Nicely dodged my question.

Give me your definition of 'elegance'.
Original post by James A
Nicely dodged my question.

Give me your definition of 'elegance'.

A saloon :smile:
Reply 32
My boyfriend recently bought a Civic and while he likes the MPG he can get out of it he says the handling is terrible.
Original post by Mickey O'Neil
A saloon :smile:

A saloon simply oozes elegance from it's sweeping design. A common hatchback simply does not give off an auroa of elegance.

Original post by Per
My boyfriend recently bought a Civic and while he likes the MPG he can get out of it he says the handling is terrible.

He should have brought an Accord. The Accord is Honda's saloon, and therfore the very best vechile in their range (bar the Legend).
Reply 34
It's all down to opinion and personal preference if you ask me, most reliable car I've had (not including latest) was a 2000 clio which I had for a few years with no serious problems, that said my next clio was a money pit.

had I not had the second car my opinion on Clio's or Renault cars in general could have been pretty high

Is it German? I'd say the Volkswagen golf is probably the most "mainstream" car there is, if being different is what interests you,

I think a lot comes down to how its been driven in past and who's owned it, but then everyone has different needs, some want cheaper insurance, better fuel economy and some just like a big flashy car, each too their own,

if it does what you need from it, you enjoy driving it, and doesnt break your bank then I think any car fitting that is "perfect" for you

I thought the R36 was Estate only? or have I got that wrong?

A saloon simply oozes elegance from it's sweeping design. A common hatchback simply does not give off an auroa of elegance.

He should have brought an Accord. The Accord is Honda's saloon, and therfore the very best vechile in their range (bar the Legend).

This image will have you scared of the VTEC engines, forget about getting spanked on the road, this image will instill fear inside you. The bhp waiting to be unleashed inside the Accord engine.
I thought the R36 was Estate only? or have I got that wrong?

You have it wrong they do; do a saloon version.
You have it wrong they do; do a saloon version.

Fair enough, I've seen a few, but all were Estates. Don't tell traintracks though, he will never let it go.
Reply 39
I'll have the Civic FD2 JDM or the Mugen version please.

Whatever Passat it is won't stand a chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending