The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sevchenko
Very fickle view imo.

The away heavy defeats have only been a trend of this season only really.

Really? What about last season in the CL to Bayern? The extremely dull 2-0's to both Man City and Chelsea where the games were finished in the first 10 minutes?

The season before that to AC Milan and Man Utd?

It's been a trend that's been set ever since we sold Nasri/Fabregas.
Original post by what is this
Really? What about last season in the CL to Bayern? The extremely dull 2-0's to both Man City and Chelsea where the games were finished in the first 10 minutes?

The season before that to AC Milan and Man Utd?

It's been a trend that's been set ever since we sold Nasri/Fabregas.

Yeah we beat German treble winners Bayern 2-0 at their place, first English club to do so, unlucky to go out on away goals. Whilst Barca got done 7-0 on aggregate. Even this season we had a fair chance to beat them.

How was the game finished if it was only 2-0? Arsenal will lose some big matches mate, it happens, it's football. Didn't Man Utd get thrashed 6-1 by City when Fergie was in charge?

You can't mention that AC Milan game with talking about the second leg. if anything those games show that the first leg defeat wasn't a true reflection of our ability.

You say nothing about the comprehensive performances we've seen this season, just look at out run in the FA Cup. And earlier in the season the wins at Dormund, Napoli and Liverpool were master classes
(edited 9 years ago)
OK, I was talking about someone in their mould.

Such as?

And surely even you can't disagree with my assertion that Wenger is tactically clueless, it took him about 70 odd minutes on Saturday to notice Giroud was being man marked out of the game.

I wouldn't use the term tactically clueless, otherwise he wouldn't have achieved what he achieved over the years.

But no manager has ever got it right 100% of the time. Just look at Guardiola's defeat at home against Real, for example.

Arteta was sitting too deep.

Had Arteta pushed up, Hull would have hit us on the break.

Podolski and Ozil were being wasted on the wings having no space

Our wingplay without Walcott and OX is pretty limited because Podolski, Cazorla and Ozil are unable to beat their man. However, they moved to ball around quickly enough to tire Hull, which enabled us to tear them apart at the end of the second half and throughout ET when we brought on Rosicky and Wilshere. In fairness, we should have scored a lot more. Giroud's header, Gibb's sitter, Ozil's air shot....

Ramsey had no one to aim for before reverting to 4-4-2 which made us more dangerous and direct.

One could argue that Hull were not able to cope with our 4-4-2 and NBA-style strikers, which in itself, is tactical brilliance from Wenger.

Also

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-sign-karim-benzema-lars-3568130

Benzema isn't coming.

Bender isn't coming

Kalou might be coming though

I wouldn't bother with any of that until after the WC the last day of the transfer window.
Original post by sevchenko
Yeah we beat German treble winners Bayern 2-0 at their place, first English club to do so, unlucky to go out on away goals. Whilst Barca got done 7-0 on aggregate.

What are you talking about? You claim later that the first leg loss to AC Milan wasn't a true reflection of our ability then I can also easily claim that the second leg victory wasn't a true reflection of our ability either as Bayern were pretty laxed and weren't up for it.

How was the game finished if it was only 2-0? Arsenal will lose some big matches mate, it happens, it's football.

Have you seen our record against the top 4 past 5 years? It's utterly atrocious.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1323178/Damning-evidence-shows-Arsenals-embarrassing-record-big-three.html

This is an article from 2010 with statistics of our record against the top 4 and it's only gone downhill since.
Didn't Man Utd get thrashed 6-1 by City when Fergie was in charge?

They also challenged for the title up until the last day and won it the next season. I wouldn't mind the occasional trashing if were winning premier league and Champions league but that's not the case.

You can't mention that AC Milan game with talking about the second leg. if anything those games show that the first leg defeat wasn't a true reflection of our ability.

Well then neither was the second leg when AC Milan were switched off. Surprise surprise when they actual went down 3-0, woke up, they held us to a goal less draw for the second half.

You say nothing about the comprehensive performances we've seen this season, just look at out run in the FA Cup. And earlier in the season the wins at Dormund, Napoli and Liverpool were master classes

Yes those earlier victories were good, but that's when those teams were sitting back [apart from Dortmund] and letting us have possession to play our game. As soon as the impetus is on us to get some tactics or defend [ie the return legs of those matches] we were comprehensively beaten [Napoli] or outright trashed [Liverpool] which just isn't acceptable for a club of our stature.
Lmao Matty Fryatt is pissed off with Poldi.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Barca are literally having a clear out...let's pounce.
What are you talking about? You claim later that the first leg loss to AC Milan wasn't a true reflection of our ability then I can also easily claim that the second leg victory wasn't a true reflection of our ability either as Bayern were pretty laxed and weren't up for it.

The Bayern weren't up for it excuse, Are you actually telling me Bayern weren't going for the win at home with the starting 11 they had out? Heynckes was seething afterwards.

Have you seen our record against the top 4 past 5 years? It's utterly atrocious.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1323178/Damning-evidence-shows-Arsenals-embarrassing-record-big-three.html

This is an article from 2010 with statistics of our record against the top 4 and it's only gone downhill since.

Yeah the results are poor but that was during the years Arsenal didn't have the cash to compete, we were punching above our weight at the time. Even now the team needs a few more player of significant quality

They also challenged for the title up until the last day and won it the next season. I wouldn't mind the occasional trashing if were winning premier league and Champions league but that's not the case.

Arsenal are making progress, I understand your frustration about big games but time are changing. Expect Arsenal to make a greater impression in the future

Well then neither was the second leg when AC Milan were switched off. Surprise surprise when they actual went down 3-0, woke up, they held us to a goal less draw for the second half.

They switched off? That such a lazy argument surely you can come up with better. Check the Milan line up that night and then tell me again they switched off.

Yes those earlier victories were good, but that's when those teams were sitting back [apart from Dortmund] and letting us have possession to play our game. As soon as the impetus is on us to get some tactics or defend [ie the return legs of those matches] we were comprehensively beaten [Napoli] or outright trashed [Liverpool] which just isn't acceptable for a club of our stature.

I have no words for the last bit
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy

Doubt we'll get anyone from them.

Milner for £10m isn't bad, though.

Resign Song? Maybe Pedro?

Fiesty :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The more I think about it, the more I think we will not get a striker in the RVP/Henry mould. It will be a typical Wenger technically gifted target man most likely, he does seem to prefer these types of strikers in his system. So someone like Mandzukic or Bony seems more likely than a Benzema. With this in mind then, the acquisition of a winger is ever more vital because we need runners.
Original post by Stalin
Doubt we'll get anyone from them.

Milner for £10m isn't bad, though.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/379516/Barcelona-WILL-sell-45m-Cesc-Fabregas-to-Manchester-United-or-Arsenal

Rubbish source I know lol.

What I don't understand is why city would want to sell him, he's such an impact sub imo since they don't start him regularly.
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/379516/Barcelona-WILL-sell-45m-Cesc-Fabregas-to-Manchester-United-or-Arsenal

What I don't understand is why city would want to sell him, he's such an impact sub imo since they don't start him regularly.

Lool the daily star, you might as well have written that piece!!

City won't sell Milner, especially now they have this 'home grown' ruling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by minhle20
Resign Song? Maybe Pedro?

Alexis Sanchez maybe? Doubt they'd sell plus he'd be expensive.
Song apparently may be going to Chelsea? Will he willingly come back to Arsenal though, that's the thing.

Don't you start :tongue:

Marca....

Even if it were true, don't we have first dibs for £25m anyway?

Milner either wants more football or a fat new contract. But I'd have him over Arteta in a second.

This is our potential line up according to the Daily Star.....

Are they high?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Peggles_*
Lool the daily star, you might as well have written that piece!!

City won't sell Milner, especially now they have this 'home grown' ruling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know haha! That's why I wrote 'rubbish source' :wink:

Yeah but aren't city planning a clear out of their English players? Rodwell, Richards etc..
Song apparently may be going to Chelsea? Will he willingly come back to Arsenal though, that's the thing.

Don't you start :tongue:

Song is a holding midfielder in the loosest of terms! I'd prefer someone who is actually prepared to sit and hold as opposed to bombing down the wings thinking he's Cruyff!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stalin
Marca....

Even if it were true, don't we have first dibs for £25m anyway?

Milner either wants more football or a fat new contract. But I'd have him over Arteta in a second.

Yeah, we get first say on where he goes after Barca or something and something else to do with finance etc etc etc.

He wants more football. Feel it for him though cos he's that good.
(edited 9 years ago)

I would like to see Song back at Arsenal - he was good when he played for Arsenal.

I reckon they won't sell Sanchez. Who do you think we should sign? I really like Insigne and think he would be good at Arsenal.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by minhle20
I would like to see Song back at Arsenal - he was a good holding midfielder when he played for Arsenal.

I reckon they won't sell Sanchez. Who do you think we should sign? I really like Insigne and think he would be good at Arsenal.

Insigne would be a decent option but I think the issue with him is he's tiny!! Could he hack the physicality of the Premier League?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest