The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manchesterunited15
I know right, pretty smalltime

I find it hilarious! Oh my goodness.
Original post by 419
We're not going to sign a striker of world class calibre lets just accept that. I'm becoming more and more certain that Mandz is going to stay. He's the only striker that I could've seen us signing and even them, I gave us like 20% chance of signing it because chelsea are obviously going to sign one. Costa is likely to become available given Atletico's finance worry but he really won't suit us anyways.

We're going to have to make our own world class striker and well, it's what teams are doing. Last season, Costa was a nobody. Lewandowski nearly signed for the prodigious Blackburn Rovers of Lancashire Arte et Labore.

Yeah basically 3/4 of top strikers about max and Chelsea will spend silly money on Costa so we're caught short. Harder and harder to find those gems too. Sanogo?

If we get a LW who can bag 15 goals next season(Greizmann?) then you have Walcott on the other wing with 20 and Ramsey with 15 if he maintains his level. Then you just need a 2nd 'decent' striker to rotate with Giroud to keep both fresh. Maybe someone like Benteke ...

I expect loads to lose it if we sign someone like Drimic as our striker signing but he has bags of potential and as I say, you can share the goals out.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 419
Why isn't it a massive talking point then?

It's fairly big. Everyone's said it about Liverpool this season, you quite often see stats about how teams do worse in PL games directly after their EL/CL games
Good night all.

Since there are no 'important' matches tomorrow, we shall look forward to watching the small matter of Chelsea taking on Liverpool at Anfield, Sunderland meeting Cardiff city at the Stadium of light and Crystal Palace taking on Manchester City at Selhurst Park as bored neutrals whilst looking forward to the mighty crew that are the Arsenal for Monday Night Football. I bid you all a glorious Sunday and so I sincerely apologise for its lack of Arsenalness.

Tough times I tell you.
I know right, pretty smalltime

Yeah, just like having a banner that counts the years since City won a trophy, that wasn't small time at all, was it? You just got rid of it because they embarrassed you by winning the league. At least with us Spurs are no threat!
Reply 1365
Have to agree with the above comments about a WC striker I am afraid. We simply cannot afford to compete with Oil/State backed clubs with unlimited funds. If we offer £50m they will just offer £60m and so on and so forth. Our niche I guess would lie in different areas regarding developing up and coming talent and keeping them by offering big contracts. On occasion there will be an Ozil level of signing, but, I am definitely not envisaging it to be a regular thing. More like a once in a blue moon type of signing, most likely when oil/state backed clubs are not competing for the signing. I think the fact our cash reserves are so high are a bit of a false flag when what we are competing against is essentially unlimited funding.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Pete_91
Yeah, just like having a banner that counts the years since City won a trophy, that wasn't small time at all, was it? You just got rid of it because they embarrassed you by winning the league. At least with us Spurs are no threat!

Another successful WUM.

:wink:
Reply 1367
Original post by Zürich
Yeah basically 3/4 of top strikers about max and Chelsea will spend silly money on Costa so we're caught short. Harder and harder to find those gems too. Sanogo?

If we get a LW who can bag 15 goals next season(Greizmann?) then you have Walcott on the other wing with 20 and Ramsey with 15 if he maintains his level. Then you just need a 2nd 'decent' striker to rotate with Giroud to keep both fresh. Maybe someone like Benteke ...

I expect loads to lose it if we sign someone like Drimic as our striker signing but he has bags of potential and as I say, you can share the goals out.

Pretty much this. I want us to focus on our wing play tbh. Wenger keeps going on about how Ozil is half a striker and about how we've got plethora of attacking players and how they're best for taking the pressure off Giroud. It's probably the best place we can upgrade easily in as there are just a lot of players in that position around that can do a decent job. I'm content with a striker that'll get 15-18 goals. That's similar return to what Giroud will get and just let them push each other so hopefully they'll both raise their game a level or two. Giroud though need to stop telegraphing his flicks and become more cerebral about when to do them.

We've all said this before but not evoking Vela's release clause is seriously inexcusable and unforgivable.
Another successful WUM.

:wink:

WUM'd you right back.
Original post by Pete_91
WUM'd you right back.

Well no, I didn't get wound up
Reply 1370
Original post by Pete_91
WUM'd you right back.

It's amazing how these 'wums' can't realise when they're getting wumed back.
Well no, I didn't get wound up

Nor did I...

I just pointed out the hypocrisy, wasn't wound up at all.
Original post by Pete_91
Nor did I...

I just pointed out the hypocrisy, wasn't wound up at all.

Nah

Original post by Pete_91

The bolded definitely has an aggressive tone to it.
Nah

The bolded definitely has an aggressive tone to it.

Nah, I was demonstrating the hypocrisy as I said.
Bony is a top striker, not too pacey but has pretty much everything else.
Original post by Pete_91
Nah, I was demonstrating the hypocrisy as I said.

In that case you would've said something like "that was small time too" rather than respond with sarcasm
Original post by 419

We've all said this before but not evoking Vela's release clause is seriously inexcusable and unforgivable.

Not entirely sure about the intricacies of these clauses, but I think Vela would need to agree to come back surely? And he never settled in England or in the PL whereas he is a star in Spain. Of course if we gave him an £80k contract and Wenger promised him the world then it might be different. But arguably the more interesting clause is the 50% sell on. Transfermarkt.de values him at £17.5m so I'm basically hoping another, probs Spanish , club buy him. Probably Atletico are the only club who have the cash to do that though and might be interested....

Personally I would like us to be creative and basically agree with Sociedad to scrap all Vela's clauses for a discount/first refusal on Greizmann. The clauses are probably worth £8m so if we could get Greizmann for £20m then we'd have been very smart.

Of course we'll probably just sit on the clauses until they expire however :colonhash:

Original post by Isometrix
Bony is a top striker, not too pacey but has pretty much everything else.

Saw him a few weeks back live and he certainly impressed, he was very impressive in Holland too. I certainly wouldnt say no to him. Lots of Arsenal fans expect us to sign Cavani or someone silly though so Bony will probably be met with derision if we did sign him.

Loic Remy is another I would like as a 3rd choice striker but Wenger's been offered him time and time again and mustn't fancy him for whatever reason.
(edited 10 years ago)
Suggested Bony on here not too long ago.

Thing is, Swansea signed him for £12m-ish and now that he's adapted to England, they'd definitely demand £20-25m for him.

Benteke is probably your best shot at a PL striker if you don't want Remy. Get him in, get him doing an Adebayor ting for you guys. Bony has a great tendency to drag defenders out with him when he drops deep, that would create oceans of space for your wide players. Not sure if Benteke does the same stuff or is as good with the flicks ons (Bony has impressed with these in recent weeks) but you could probably get him for £10m. Injured atm though, and not much of an upgrade on Giroud.

Buy a Drmic type and a left wing, that's all. Can't see you (as I said on United thread as well) buying Griezmann given PSG's interest.

And I disagree with the notion that you can't compete with the oil tankers for money. At some point, player choice comes into it, and Arsenal is behind the big 3, PSG, maybe Juventus, BVB, City, United, Chelsea in the list of preferred destinations. If Liverpool win the title this season, then I wonder if we'll overtake you as well, though we're not really competing for players in the same positions.
Bony is definitely a Drogba type player. Excellent hold up play, strength, aerial ability and a powerful striker of the ball. If he can get 25 goals for Swansea he could definitely make it at Arsenal with on form players like Walcott, Ramsey, Ozil, Wilshere playing behind him.
Original post by 419
strong sig.

I dislike disloyalty man.

Latest