The Student Room Group

lieing about experience on a cv , good idea or not?

i have a friend and she wants to say she has had more experience than she has , she hasnt had a job before and says that she wants to work in a clubbing resort such as zante or ibiza or something over the holidays

your more likley to get work if you have had previous experience

is this a good idea or not? i want her to get the job but not get caught
would they bother checking as its abroad? what happens if you get found out?
what advice should i give to her?
Reply 1
Everyone does it.
Reply 2
It's not advisable, but as long as she doesn't say she runs Glastonbury, it should be fine.

In short, make it believable. Until they ask for references. Then panic.
Reply 3
I would never ever lie on a CV, and I don't know many people that would, though that may be specific to my profession (engineering).

Interviewers love to ask about previous experiences, and some go into a lot of detail (especially if it's relevant experience). Unless you are a very good liar, that probably won't work out very well. You'll have to make up a lot of stuff on the spot, and pray that there's no contradiction. And then there are references.

Just not worth it IMHO.
Original post by arson_fire
The problem is that if she`s never worked in a bar before, but says she has, she will get found out in about 5 minutes.

Exactly. And then she can be sure she is never going to get to work there in her entire life. And much worse if words go around (I don't know how connected resorts are - are owners friends of each other, etc).
Reply 6
Original post by capachino
i have a friend and she wants to say she has had more experience than she has , she hasnt had a job before and says that she wants to work in a clubbing resort such as zante or ibiza or something over the holidays

your more likley to get work if you have had previous experience

is this a good idea or not? i want her to get the job but not get caught
would they bother checking as its abroad? what happens if you get found out?
what advice should i give to her?

Morally, I'd say its a bad thing to do so. But, if she is desperate enough, she can pull it off by doing tons of research about the job, i.e. what common problems one faces on a job, how to handle difficult customers, how to handle drunk/rowdy customers, how to handle sexual harassment, etc., and be prepared to answer those questions at the job interview.

She should try and shadow someone who works at a bar, and try and learn from it. She could write that she shadowed bar tenders in her CV, and its less risky than faking job experience.

EDIT: The thing that determines whether you get a job or not is if you can add value to the company. If the employer thinks she can add value, she will probably be hired. So the work experience isn't an end in itself, it is a means to help develop skills that may add value to the company
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest