The Student Room Group

People who volunteer in Africa do it for themselves.

Scroll to see replies

Didn't fully read the article but yes, it is a selfish endeavour

Its being sold as a CV filler and "oh lets help those poor people" while not necessarily helping them. I read somewhere how awful it was to actually send volunteers to orphanages; it creates bonds between children and tourists for a few weeks, which is then quickly broken down leading to psychological damage to the child (particularly if its happening with different tourists), while the adult takes a few photos with them as 'accessories'. Generally, a few weeks of work is not helpful to any sort of project, particularly if the tourist in unskilled in the area.

At my college they have a partner school in Mumbai (which I'm slightly more positive about; being a direct link I think it means the money volunteers pay + raise money for actually reaches and benefits the students rather than going through various systems, though I'm not even sure on that) and everyone comes back with lots of pictures with these half starved children and with "experience" by playing with them in the day and getting ****ered in the fancy hotel at night. My sisters ex, who is half Indian, found the idea that these people suddenly knew "what it was like" really frustrating; he used to say "if you want the experience, don't stay in a 4 star hotel, you should stay with my family who have to share a toilet in the back yard".
Also thinking about it, hardly any of the people who went did any fundraising for it; they just paid to go on the trip and prod these children and feel good about themselves without spending lots of time trying to raise money for the school they were supposedly supporting.

I read an article a while back which I'll try and find because it was really informative and I agreed with.
Original post by james22
People going to tech English in schools for a few weeks are actually causing harm. Getting a new teacher every 2 weeks is not a good way to learn, there is no structure to it and the kids don't end up learning anything.

Who said 2 weeks?! Most people I know who did it stayed at least a month or so. Plus they're not acting as teacher, they just come in for a couple of lessons a week as a 'guest assistant' i guess. No different than when we were at school and we'd get students on teacher training for a few weeks at a time.
Original post by TheGuy117
:confused:

That the money raised for these trips would do huge multiples of more good if it was just outright donated instead of sending some middle class kid with no skills or even an adult professional with no skills that can't be matched by a local and that this whole volunteering thing is selfish... the entire point of my initial post! :s-smilie:

Yes, i agree to that

But isnt that the point? Why thoses students go "MOST" go there unskilled to pick up skills and mostly its to write on thier CV's

Why waste £600 on a ticket? is the way i see it. why not give the £600 direct, it wontbe £600 but if you deduct fees than atleast around £580!!!
Reply 23
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Who said 2 weeks?! Most people I know who did it stayed at least a month or so. Plus they're not acting as teacher, they just come in for a couple of lessons a week as a 'guest assistant' i guess. No different than when we were at school and we'd get students on teacher training for a few weeks at a time.

2 weeks, a month, doesn't really matter. Still way to short. Many of them do go to do actually teaching, they are given whole classes to themselves to deal with.
Original post by james22
2 weeks, a month, doesn't really matter. Still way to short. Many of them do go to do actually teaching, they are given whole classes to themselves to deal with.

Generally those are the people that have done some sort of TEFL course and are perfectly qualified to do so. If it were a choice between no volunteers and no English lessons or a new volunteer every month and English lessons for the kids I'm sure they'd always go with the latter.
[video="youtube;R9oP9ea2w-c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9oP9ea2w-c[/video]

Every good deed is selfish :tongue:.
Regardless whether it's for self-gratitude or not, it is still raising awareness, how do you think people get the money to go on these volunteer expeditions such as World Challenge? You're encouraged to fundraise, which in turn raises awareness about such things. It's not just construction that goes on, it can be painting houses, teaching basic English etc.

Besides it isn't bad to want the self-gratitude anyway... Sending off money can be deemed as a bit of a cop out because it's not hands-on and it's just throwing money at a poor situation.
Reply 27
So? I don't agree necessarily...

It's better than doing nothing though. What have you done?

Giving a check for $5000 to a charity, you do not see that that money is doing anything. If you're paying $5000, you'd want to see that it was actually doing something beneficial, it's a large amount of money. Also you get to go and see first hand what these people are going through. There is much to learn from travelling and living with people in situations and places like this. Actually meeting the people who you are helping. Letting them know that there are actually people out there who care enough to come and help them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by vickyhunt
Regardless whether it's for self-gratitude or not, it is still raising awareness, how do you think people get the money to go on these volunteer expeditions such as World Challenge? You're encouraged to fundraise, which in turn raises awareness about such things. It's not just construction that goes on, it can be painting houses, teaching basic English etc.

Besides it isn't bad to want the self-gratitude anyway... Sending off money can be deemed as a bit of a cop out because it's not hands-on and it's just throwing money at a poor situation.

Those starving children living in dire situations don't give two ****s whether unaware, skill-less first world kids copped out or not. Sending money would save more of them compared to flying out there for some self gratification.
Reply 29
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Generally those are the people that have done some sort of TEFL course and are perfectly qualified to do so. If it were a choice between no volunteers and no English lessons or a new volunteer every month and English lessons for the kids I'm sure they'd always go with the latter.

It would be far better to hire a teacher for a long period of time, which could be done if people sent the money instead of going themselves.

It takes money from more legitimate causes. Instead of raising money for your own holiday, raise it to give straight to the charity.

Sending out money without getting anything in return is far more selfless and shows that you actually care, rather than just wanting holiday (often paid for by others under the guise of charity).
oh yes, very selfish. going out and helping people in need, disgraceful.

My cousin went out to build a school in Africa. What a selfish *******!
Reply 31
They only add the medical part to make it seem more logical an unselfish. They convert them to Christianity then leave. A offset of this is the burning of Gay people in Africa, by people who have been brainwashed by Christian Missionaries, as the bible says to kill the Gays.
Reply 32
Original post by Moura
So? I don't agree necessarily however I can't be bothered to read that...

It's better than doing nothing though. What have you done?

It's far worse than sending the money though, people do it for purely selfish reasons. If they really cared they would send money directly.

I have personally sent money to many charities I deem worthy, instead of spending it on holidays.
Reply 33
Original post by JindleBrey
oh yes, very selfish. going out and helping people in need, disgraceful.

My cousin went out to build a school in Africa. What a selfish *******!

Many more schools could have been built, by more than competent local workers had he/she sent the money they used on the trip. If your cousin really cared about those kids without a school, he would have just sent the money instead.
(edited 10 years ago)
At the end of the day, does it really matter? I mean if the village stull ends up with their well or the school children still end up being taught the motives of the person doing it shouldn't really make a difference...
Those starving children living in dire situations don't give two ****s whether unaware, skill-less first world kids copped out or not. Sending money would save more of them compared to flying out there for some self gratification.

Right okay, and what if they need volunteers to actually help prepare the food, serve it, and clean up after all these masses of starving children?
It's not exactly easy to feed multiple amounts of people, especially if the people cooking the food are also ones in need.

Now you're just being stereotypical in saying that everyone who volunteers is 'unaware, skill-less first world kids'. There are people who devote their lives to making other people's better, and will stay out in those kind of countries for years at a time and surprisingly they don't want anything in return and if they get a bit of self-gratitude then let them have it.
Reply 37
Right okay, and what if they need volunteers to actually help prepare the food, serve it, and clean up after all these masses of starving children?
It's not exactly easy to feed multiple amounts of people, especially if the people cooking the food are also ones in need.

Now you're just being stereotypical in saying that everyone who volunteers is 'unaware, skill-less first world kids'. There are people who devote their lives to making other people's better, and will stay out in those kind of countries for years at a time and surprisingly they don't want anything in return and if they get a bit of self-gratitude then let them have it.

Jesus. These aren't barbarians living in Africa, ****ing hell. I'm sure they don't need an "educated" westerner to show them how to do these things.
Jesus. These aren't barbarians living in Africa, ****ing hell. I'm sure they don't need an "educated" westerner to show them how to do these things.

The parts people go to in order to volunteer aren't exactly in stable conditions, yes there are parts of Africa that are perfectly self-sufficient but the volunteer places wouldn't be available if they weren't needed or requested by such places.

You don't just turn up somewhere and start helping, they are planned out in one way or another... Charity shops request volunteers in a similar way.

The problem is a lot of charities have to go through heavy taxes and government systems, and sometimes if its really bad the money will go somewhere completely else; leaderships in quite backwards countries often take control over money, so it means money spent on a new school may actually end up into the fat pocket of a rich man (I remember a lady coming from Sierra Leone telling us this, for example)

But volunteering is still nowhere near a good alternative imo. http://riseresistandrevolt.wordpress.com/2013/04/06/the-problem-with-todays-voluntourist-and-charity-culture-rise-of-ngo-colonialism/

Here's my favorite quote from the article

Capitalists correctly see any such displays of solidarity as a meaningful threat to their ongoing exploitation of the working class. So the bourgeois strives to ensure that any form of aid is constrained to the rules of the capital, making the institution of charity completely different.

Quick Reply

Latest