The Student Room Group

Does it make me a bad person to quit volunteer work?

I am at university and a while ago I decided to run as lead volunteer for a scheme run by the student union (coz someone told me I'd be good for this role)

When I told the volunteer team I was signing up, they were really pleased as the scheme hadn't been able to run for a few years coz they didn't have a lead volunteer. I said I was looking forward to starting, and we started to plan a few events.

However I always had a feeling that it wasn't quite for me. I wasn't really enjoying the planning, and nobody else seemed very interested in joining the scheme. Alongside that work was starting to pile up, I was getting stressed and another opportunity came up for me to join another SU society

So I sent the volunteer team a very apologetic email saying I was going to quit, and now I feel terrible about quitting before I've even begun, especially seeing as they were so nice to me about starting. I feel happier now I've quit, but I also feel super guilty. Was it the right thing to do, or am I a terrible person?
Yes you were right to quit and no you’re not a terrible person.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Yes you were right to quit and no you’re not a terrible person.

Thank you for the reassurance! :smile:
Reply 3
You're at university and can't deduce this for yourself?
Original post by funny.bunny
I am at university and a while ago I decided to run as lead volunteer for a scheme run by the student union (coz someone told me I'd be good for this role)

When I told the volunteer team I was signing up, they were really pleased as the scheme hadn't been able to run for a few years coz they didn't have a lead volunteer. I said I was looking forward to starting, and we started to plan a few events.

However I always had a feeling that it wasn't quite for me. I wasn't really enjoying the planning, and nobody else seemed very interested in joining the scheme. Alongside that work was starting to pile up, I was getting stressed and another opportunity came up for me to join another SU society

So I sent the volunteer team a very apologetic email saying I was going to quit, and now I feel terrible about quitting before I've even begun, especially seeing as they were so nice to me about starting. I feel happier now I've quit, but I also feel super guilty. Was it the right thing to do, or am I a terrible person?
Inevitably volunteer work will have a turnover of volunteers - because it's not possible to live ones life volunteering without engaging in other things to support themselves normally, among other issues. It's normal and expected that people will come and go.
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
Inevitably volunteer work will have a turnover of volunteers - because it's not possible to live ones life volunteering without engaging in other things to support themselves normally, among other issues. It's normal and expected that people will come and go.

Thank you, this a huge help!
Original post by artful_lounger

I agree.
Things/peoples circumstances change. People come and go.
You did the decent thing and let them know that you would be leaving.
Reply 7
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree.
Things/peoples circumstances change. People come and go.
You did the decent thing and let them know that you would be leaving.

Thank you so much for your reply! :hugs:
Original post by funny.bunny

I've moved your thread to a more appropriate place in the forums.

Everyone knows people don't volunteer forever (usually). They expect volunteers to eventually leave, just as paid workers are allowed to quit their jobs. You've done nothing wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending