The Student Room Group

How do I write an effective essay in a short period of time?

I have my Media Studies A2 exam in June, but I am concerned about it. I have to do 3 essays on 3 questions, and my teacher said each essay we should aim for 2-3 sides.

But I have always struggled with essays, especially when I'm under pressure, and when we do past papers in class, in 30 mins people can come up with 2 or so sides when I can only manage around half a page. I don't know why, I just find it very challenging to put my thoughts about the question on paper, especially if it is handwritten as the majority of essays I have done for homework are just typed up. Even if I know what I have to do, I just still struggle.

So how do I go about doing effective essays in a short amount of time? I'm really worried about it, I need enough UCAS points to get into my course, I want to do the best I can.

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Practice a lot (and do them by hand.)

Plans helped me when I wrote essays, it helps collect and organise your thoughts and gives you a rough idea to work from. Write down the thoughts you do have, separate them into sections in your plan and then flesh them out as you write.

And make sure you revise properly. If you're running out of things to write, you can't know the course material that well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending